Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Electrical, light will not work in engine bay

Hi, below I've attached a picture. There is a light that has a switch inside the engine bay if you need a light while working in there. The problem is when I flip the switch the light won't turn on, the bulb is fine and I've tested this however after testing the voltage I've found out that the left side of the little fuse looking thing it's hooked up to reads 12v but the right side doesn't read voltage which is where the wire is connected too, not sure why this is hooked up to this fuse or breaker looking thing, I've tried to see if it works with bus keys in etc but no luck, do you guys think it's this fuse (if it is a fuse) I've included a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20180728_151707.jpg  

Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Try checking across the toggle switch.
Or just straight wire around the switch straight to the bulb.
A lot of the older 1156 and 57 bulbs will test good out.
Clean in the socket with a plumber's wire brush and sand/clean the outside of the bulb socket portion.
Pull the light base and clean around the mounting surfaces because that is what grounds the light to the bus body.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Did you check it while it was hanging like that? The metal light housing may need to be grounded to the body.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
The light base is still mounted it's just the cover hanging.
That's why I recommend pulling and cleaning the light mounting base.
What I didn't mention is the screws and screw holes are important because they are the true and snug body grounds.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
the fuse looking thing

that thing is a circuit breaker... do this test... take a piece of wire and wrap on one post of the breaker to the other side, this is a temporary bypass of the breaker.... try you light now. if it works then it is the fuse.

the deep part of the socket should be 12v the sides of the socket should be ground. you are on the right track follow along till you get 12v inside the socket..... when you can do that the bulb should light IF the outer part of the bulb socket is grounded to -12v

test this and go from there.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
That is definitely one dirty looking circuit breaker with connections that are really corroded too. Clean all that up then have a look at the base plate for the light. That area is corroded all to heck too so doesn't surprise me the light doesn't work
If you have a dremel type tool use a sandpaper type bit to clean the metal connections so they shine like new again. Same for area under the base plate.

John
Old 07-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
That is definitely one dirty looking circuit breaker with connections that are really corroded too. Clean all that up then have a look at the base plate for the light. That area is corroded all to heck too so doesn't surprise me the light doesn't work
If you have a dremel type tool use a sandpaper type bit to clean the metal connections so they shine like new again. Same for area under the base plate.

John
For those using dremel rotary tools: take a 1/4" long shank bolt cut off the head then cut a slot down center of bolt with a hacksaw about an inch long. Rip a strip if emery cloth and insert it in the slot let it wrap around the shank as the dremel turns it. Insert in hole and sand away! I use this to clean bushings and fit bushings to shafts. Works great but keep the tool speed down.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersmurf57 View Post
For those using dremel rotary tools: take a 1/4" long shank bolt cut off the head then cut a slot down center of bolt with a hacksaw about an inch long. Rip a strip if emery cloth and insert it in the slot let it wrap around the shank as the dremel turns it. Insert in hole and sand away! I use this to clean bushings and fit bushings to shafts. Works great but keep the tool speed down.

Good suggestion smurf..fun work and then to see the results

John
Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Good suggestion smurf..fun work and then to see the results

John
Thanks John. Harbor Freight has 2" rolls for about $9 - I tear it down the middle.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
There is a possibility the light only works with the running or clearance lites on. Mine works that way.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Hi, below I've attached a picture. There is a light that has a switch inside the engine bay if you need a light while working in there. The problem is when I flip the switch the light won't turn on, the bulb is fine and I've tested this however after testing the voltage I've found out that the left side of the little fuse looking thing it's hooked up to reads 12v but the right side doesn't read voltage which is where the wire is connected too, not sure why this is hooked up to this fuse or breaker looking thing, I've tried to see if it works with bus keys in etc but no luck, do you guys think it's this fuse (if it is a fuse) I've included a picture for reference.
Here's a $20 solution. Advance auto- new mountable lamp assy. - new toggle switch - mount both and wire it up. Flip switch and voila!!