Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 22 +3 wheel chair
Electrical wiring, Solar Setup, on/off grid

Hello everyone! I can't seem to find a good diagram on the web illustrating what it is that I hope to achieve. I'm looking to have a 50 amp shore power inlet running to a 50 amp auto transfer switch which will also have a 2000w inverter coming in. This box will run to a 60 amp distribution panel which has both ac/dc breakers and fuses. Ill have four 180w mono pv panels running to a charger controller which will run to the inverter and the distribution panel.The 60 amp panel I've found also is a smart battery charger. 6 6v deep cycle batteries will be the intended bank, which will have an isolator hooked up from the alternator. Please tell me if there are any flaws or if I am missing something.

Nellys Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellys Nomads View Post
  1. 50 amp shore power inlet running to a
  2. 50 amp auto transfer switch which will also have a
  3. 2000w inverter coming in. This box will run to a
  4. 60 amp distribution panel which has both ac/dc breakers and fuses. Ill have
  5. four 180w mono pv panels = 720w
  6. 6 6v deep cycle batteries= ___Amp/Hours

running to a charger controller which will run to the inverter and the distribution panel.The 60 amp panel I've found also is a smart battery charger. 6 6v deep cycle batteries will be the intended bank, which will have an isolator hooked up from the alternator. Please tell me if there are any flaws or if I am missing something.

I rearranged your requirements a bit. Only thing missing is "What's your draw?"

7) Lotsa Big Wire
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 22 +3 wheel chair
Lol thanks, my bus mimics my writing abilities.

Daily draw will be 200ah per 24hrs
Nellys Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Lol thanks, my bus mimics my writing abilities.

Daily draw will be 200ah per 24hrs
No, not ripping on you, I'm making a checklist.

I'm in a sorta similar design phase-electrical-, but have much of the hard part done. My bus came w/ 10K Onan genny and 100amp 220 V shore power, all wired correctly (gauge/flex conduit) with manual transfer switch.

Why auto transfer switch? vs manual?

I need to also incorporate Solar and 6v battery bank. like you, so that's why I'm unknowledgably chiming in.

I've heard you don't want to discharge your batteries more than 50%.

Now sit back and wait for the smart people to talk.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
Yes!!! Checklist! I'm in the designing stage and a newbie
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
You guys are fairly similar to the system I am currently testing. One question tho....Why use a separate auto xfer switch? They not cheap. In my set up, I went from my shore power inlet, to a 3000W/ 6000W Inverter/ Charger. It has the xfer switch built in. From the inverter/ charger it goes to a Progressive Dynamics Fuse Center (NOT the converter/ charger type). Of course i do have fuses at battery bank and inverter/ charger, and will use a surge protector (RV style) at the shore power/ generator(whichever is avail). For Solar i went with the Midnight Classic. There seem to be a few ppl on this site that give rather exceptional info. I personally am an ex aviation electrical tech from the Navy, so feel free to PM or ask here.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GM CV 6600 I think lol
Engine: 3126 A Caterpillar AT2400
Rated Cap: 54 ps
lol expect to hear from me 😇
lemmeskoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

When I 1st started this whole journey, I was going to build out an enclosed trailer. But have decided I rather have the ability to tow other things while camping. Which led me to this site. I still use tnttt.com tho. It has some great people and info for everything relevant here minus the drivetrain. When designing the electrical system, I looked at the transfer switches, and converter units(120ac to 12dc) but decided an RV style Inverter/ Charger simplified the setup and lowered the cost greatly. I purchased an AIMs 3000W continuous/ 6000W peak pure sinewave Inverter/ Charger with built in xfer switch from walmart.com and had it shipped to local store. Aprox $825. That gives you: programmable 3 stage 100amp charger(prog for dif battery types), 3000-6000W pure sinewave inverter, transfer switch that switches between inverter and shore automatically(if on shore power it will pass thru power to run equipment plus use remaining power to continue charging batteries), a nice remote panel to control unit, and auto generator start when batteries reach a programed limit(mine set to start genny when batteries get to 60%). It simplified the wiring without the need of additional xfer switches. Now due to the amount of current draw, it does require installation to be fairly close to the battery bank. Less than 5 feet. But when you have to use 00awg cable, shorter is cheaper For solar I went with 4 LG 255 mono panels, and Midnight Classic MPPT charger. Storing all this electrical goodness are 8 Duracell GC2s rated at 215ah each. Giving me a total of 860ah. In testing this allows me to run an LG 5500btu window shaker unit for 2.8 hours before generator kicks on for the 60% limit i set. At 50% I can get it to just to 3 hours and change. That is while also running a Dometic 120/12 fridge continuous. I chose to design the system this way so EVERYTHING is usable on Battery(inverter) on shore(charger 12v and pass thru ac 120v), and generator(charger 12v and pass thru ac 120v). Some people prefer a simpler design with multiple inverters (smaller ones for dif devices) so they can turn off those not needed to prevent phantom drain as all inverters waste some power to heat during the inverter process. But during my tests I have determined it is not enough to worry about. Between the 1Kwtt+ of solar, shore power, generator, and alternator with battery isolator I should be fine. But my plans are for a Shuttle Bus, or 7x16 trailer. A full size Bus would require more panels, 2nd charge controller, more batteries, and next size up inverter/ charger (5000w/10000W). Other items used are 00awg power cable, 4awg power cable, Progressive Dynamics Fuse/ Circuit Breaker Panel, 500AMP fuse blocks and fuses, and my 3000W Inverter Generator. This system has been running flawlessly for a couple weeks now for testing. I have yet to find the perfect vehicle for it, but am closing in I hope.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #9
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
This system has been running flawlessly for a couple weeks now for testing. I have yet to find the perfect vehicle for it, but am closing in I hope.
Thanks for adding details of your system. Do you have a price breakdown or suggestion for sources for components?

Thanks !
Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #10
Bus Nut

AIMS 3000/6000W Inverter/Charger with remote panel and Auto Gen start Walmart.com $850

LG 255W Mono solar panels (4)
Ebay $260ea

Duracell GC2s 6V 215ah (
Sams Club $89.99ea

Progessive Dynamics PD5000 Power Distribution Panel
Bestconverter.com $60

00awg Power Cable
Ebay $3ft

4awg Power Cable
Ebay $1.70ft

ANL type Fuse Holder (2)
Ebay $12.99ea

ANL 500AMP Fuse 10pk
Ebay $12

Box of 10/15/30/25/30 amp blade auto fuses (for DC side of PD5000)
Ebay $10

Various Circuit Breakers (Main in, 4 branch breakers)
Lowes $35

Furion Shore plug
Ebay $39

10/3 Ac power cable (shore plug to inverter and inverter to PD5000)
Lowes $1.20ft

12/2 Ac power cable (PD5000 to various outlets)
Lowes $.99ft

12awg power cable (PD5000 to dc items)
Ebay 50' $15

Midnight Solar Classic 250 MPPT
InverterSupply.com $519

Guestimating Power system alone aprox $2800
Im sure I am overlooking some smalls, and didnt list LED lights, Fridge, AC unit, Water Heater, Furnace, etc.
Hope this gets you some insight and places to search.
Doug
Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
Traveling

Quote:

Guestimating Power system alone aprox $2800
Im sure I am overlooking some smalls, and didnt list LED lights, Fridge, AC unit, Water Heater, Furnace, etc.
Hope this gets you some insight and places to search.
Doug
GREAT info- many thanks. It sure adds-up quick. When I tell people I am turning a bus into an RV, they figure few thousand should cover it.

Go build a kitchen or a bathroom for a few grand.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Hello everyone! I can't seem to find a good diagram on the web illustrating what it is that I hope to achieve.
From your description, my electrical design may give you some ideas. Take a look at the diagram here:
Electrical System Design - JdFinley.com
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #13
Bus Nut

JD, thats one serious system there. Appreciate the link. Yes I am that "One Guy" that enjoys that type of thing. Just a bit too big for my needs (and wallet lol). I wanted to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible while still giving me the ability to function to my needs. If I ever build a cabin off grid that would be closer to your system. Any chance you have an aprox cost of all that? I know those lithium batteries are not cheap!? I saw you also have washing machine and much more load usage than I will ever be able to cram into a shuttle or short bus. Impressive as he!! tho.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
JD, thats one serious system there. Appreciate the link. Yes I am that "One Guy" that enjoys that type of thing. Just a bit too big for my needs (and wallet lol). I wanted to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible while still giving me the ability to function to my needs. If I ever build a cabin off grid that would be closer to your system. Any chance you have an aprox cost of all that? I know those lithium batteries are not cheap!? I saw you also have washing machine and much more load usage than I will ever be able to cram into a shuttle or short bus. Impressive as he!! tho.
Thanks! No, Lithium isn't cheap, yet... I do have the cost but I am hesitant to share as people tend to lock in on the number rather than the details behind the number - and scaling that number to match their needs/system. With that said.... I keep track of every penny I spend and categorize it all. That number for the 'Electrical' category is sitting at about $15k. That includes every little connector, length of wire, switch, etc. Of course, the larger/more powerful the 'system', the more expensive the parts....

In this case, I was trying to share how to use two transfer switches to allow shore or generator power as well as shore/generator OR inverter power. Hopefully that came thru in the diagram in the referenced link.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Your description and diagram where awesome. Yes, a perfect example and explanation of using multiple xfer switches. I meant no disrespect. Great setup. Just too much for my humble needs....I did very much enjoy the read and pics.
Doug
Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Sorry about that Doug - sounds like I may have come across the wrong way. No disrespect perceived in your message and certainly none intended from my end either.

I sometimes provide way to much info expecting that the intended recipient will spot the one tiny little thing I was thinking about... I'm working on doing better with that.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
Almost There

There are a few ways to skin this cat. I'm not sure I like transfer switches. I think I would rather buy a big high quality inverter and power all of my AC load off of the battery and just set up the battery to charge from solar (charge controller), shore, generator or altrenator (for emergencies).

No transferring should keep my electronics happy and going big on the inverter means it will rarely if ever be running maxed out.

I have been looking at YouTube reviews and AIMS is not highly regarded. Spend 2-3x and you get higher ratings and better reputation. That seems like money well spent to me but there are a few ways to skin that cat.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, off-grid, solar, wiring