Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
New Member
 
Dillon22283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Existing Bus Wiring

I'm in the demo stage and would like to remove to majority of the existing wiring from the flasher lights, emergency exits, stop signs and crossing arm. My question is, is there a way to eliminate all the excess wiring at the main fuse bix itself? Can I get around leaving the wiring throughout the bus intact? I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring. Thanks for any help!
Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 328
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon22283 View Post
I'm in the demo stage and would like to remove to majority of the existing wiring from the flasher lights, emergency exits, stop signs and crossing arm. My question is, is there a way to eliminate all the excess wiring at the main fuse bix itself? Can I get around leaving the wiring throughout the bus intact? I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring. Thanks for any help!
Welcome! More information on your bus would make it easier for forum members to provide helpful bus-specific feedback, and maybe find a wiring diagram? Based on your post, especially the "I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring" comment, I would personally recommend the following as general guidelines:
1) Like a doctor, "first do no harm..." Remove as little wiring as you need to
2) Take pictures of everything before you do any cutting
3) Buy a decent label maker and label every wire that you modify in any way
4) When in doubt, don't cut it, or at least thoroughly document with pics and labels
5) For reference (and possible reuse?) keep your removed (and labeled) wiring around until all rewiring is done and systems are checked.

Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!
__________________
Rick <>< - Comfort Eagle (Bird Strike) - Solar/Batteries - Seat - Door - Dash - Mini Split - Fuse Box - Wood Stove
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #3
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 334
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!

LOL!!! Not very hypocritical ... you are like a restorative surgeon on your machine!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Bus Crazy
 
somewhereinusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Andrews,Indiana
Posts: 1,947
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Don't be another one. Please see this post.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/he...art-20275.html
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
ComfortEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 328
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon22283 View Post
I'm in the demo stage and would like to remove to majority of the existing wiring from the flasher lights, emergency exits, stop signs and crossing arm. My question is, is there a way to eliminate all the excess wiring at the main fuse bix itself? Can I get around leaving the wiring throughout the bus intact? I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring. Thanks for any help!
Dillon, hope we didn't scare you off...
__________________
Rick <>< - Comfort Eagle (Bird Strike) - Solar/Batteries - Seat - Door - Dash - Mini Split - Fuse Box - Wood Stove
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Goose Bay NL
Posts: 279
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Welcome! More information on your bus would make it easier for forum members to provide helpful bus-specific feedback, and maybe find a wiring diagram? Based on your post, especially the "I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring" comment, I would personally recommend the following as general guidelines:
1) Like a doctor, "first do no harm..." Remove as little wiring as you need to
2) Take pictures of everything before you do any cutting
3) Buy a decent label maker and label every wire that you modify in any way
4) When in doubt, don't cut it, or at least thoroughly document with pics and labels
5) For reference (and possible reuse?) keep your removed (and labeled) wiring around until all rewiring is done and systems are checked.

Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!

SOOOOO MUCH THIS!!!!!!!! these are solid guidelines, if you're are deleting anything or attempting anything near the job the CE has done beautifully on his rig.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow #5 and I would even take it one step further and ensure that you completely re-assemble your elec system and function everything before moving onto the building phase and begin covering things over.
__________________
Yukon

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
New Member
 
Dillon22283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you very much for your input! The only thing I've actually removed is the ceiling mounted air conditioning units. There were 2 of them, and then the part (condenser?) on the outside beneath the bus.
Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #8
New Member
 
Dillon22283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you for the link. Very informative! I am only able to work on it on the weekend so I'm heading up tomorrow morning to start working that list! Thanks so much again!
Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
New Member
 
Dillon22283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
I apologize for my inability to use this site/forum, I'm still learning how.
Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #10
New Member
 
Dillon22283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Welcome! More information on your bus would make it easier for forum members to provide helpful bus-specific feedback, and maybe find a wiring diagram? Based on your post, especially the "I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring" comment, I would personally recommend the following as general guidelines:
1) Like a doctor, "first do no harm..." Remove as little wiring as you need to
2) Take pictures of everything before you do any cutting
3) Buy a decent label maker and label every wire that you modify in any way
4) When in doubt, don't cut it, or at least thoroughly document with pics and labels
5) For reference (and possible reuse?) keep your removed (and labeled) wiring around until all rewiring is done and systems are checked.

Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!
It's a 2003 International Rear Engine with a dt466e engine and Allison md3060 push button transmission. Also, When I turn the key to the start position, I hear an electric sounding clicking in the fuse box area next to the left side of the drivers seat, then somewhere towards the rear, then again up front. It's strange. And thank you for your help, sincerely!
Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.