Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #1

Existing Bus Wiring

I'm in the demo stage and would like to remove to majority of the existing wiring from the flasher lights, emergency exits, stop signs and crossing arm. My question is, is there a way to eliminate all the excess wiring at the main fuse bix itself? Can I get around leaving the wiring throughout the bus intact? I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring. Thanks for any help!

Dillon22283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon22283 View Post
I'm in the demo stage and would like to remove to majority of the existing wiring from the flasher lights, emergency exits, stop signs and crossing arm. My question is, is there a way to eliminate all the excess wiring at the main fuse bix itself? Can I get around leaving the wiring throughout the bus intact? I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring. Thanks for any help!
Welcome! More information on your bus would make it easier for forum members to provide helpful bus-specific feedback, and maybe find a wiring diagram? Based on your post, especially the "I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring" comment, I would personally recommend the following as general guidelines:
1) Like a doctor, "first do no harm..." Remove as little wiring as you need to
2) Take pictures of everything before you do any cutting
3) Buy a decent label maker and label every wire that you modify in any way
4) When in doubt, don't cut it, or at least thoroughly document with pics and labels
5) For reference (and possible reuse?) keep your removed (and labeled) wiring around until all rewiring is done and systems are checked.

Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Regarding guideline #1, please know that I am being somewhat hypocritical, meaning I gutted my bus wiring...details here. . Good luck!

LOL!!! Not very hypocritical ... you are like a restorative surgeon on your machine!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Don't be another one. Please see this post.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/he...art-20275.html
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Dillon, hope we didn't scare you off...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Welcome! More information on your bus would make it easier for forum members to provide helpful bus-specific feedback, and maybe find a wiring diagram? Based on your post, especially the "I have absolutely no experience with electrical wiring" comment, I would personally recommend the following as general guidelines:
4) When in doubt, don't cut it, or at least thoroughly document with pics and labels
5) For reference (and possible reuse?) keep your removed (and labeled) wiring around until all rewiring is done and systems are checked.

SOOOOO MUCH THIS!!!!!!!! these are solid guidelines, if you're are deleting anything or attempting anything near the job the CE has done beautifully on his rig.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE follow #5 and I would even take it one step further and ensure that you completely re-assemble your elec system and function everything before moving onto the building phase and begin covering things over.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #7

Thank you very much for your input! The only thing I've actually removed is the ceiling mounted air conditioning units. There were 2 of them, and then the part (condenser?) on the outside beneath the bus.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

Thank you for the link. Very informative! I am only able to work on it on the weekend so I'm heading up tomorrow morning to start working that list! Thanks so much again!
Old 01-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #9

I apologize for my inability to use this site/forum, I'm still learning how.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:

It's a 2003 International Rear Engine with a dt466e engine and Allison md3060 push button transmission. Also, When I turn the key to the start position, I hear an electric sounding clicking in the fuse box area next to the left side of the drivers seat, then somewhere towards the rear, then again up front. It's strange. And thank you for your help, sincerely!
Old 01-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Thank you very much for your input! The only thing I've actually removed is the ceiling mounted air conditioning units. There were 2 of them, and then the part (condenser?) on the outside beneath the bus.

If you're removing the AC systems, I'm wanting to add one to my bus. Where are you?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
If you're removing the AC systems, I'm wanting to add one to my bus. Where are you?
I'm in Florida, but I removed them because of how badly damaged they were...
Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Dillon, hope we didn't scare you off...
Not at all! I appreciate your input, I actually have a label maker and labeled most of the wires I've come across
Old 02-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
Almost There

Get a circuit tracer that injects a signal before you do anything. That way you can trace it out and make sure what components it powers. Will save you a ton of time.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Nice drive train.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
There is really great advice in this thread! If you're not extremely comfortable with electrical, it may be best to leave it alone. If you decide you can't tolerate that, read on.

I also didn't want a bunch of zombie electrical in my bus, so I'm completely eliminating all unused systems. What proved invaluable to me was getting electrical schematics from my bus manufacturer. They were slightly incomplete (my manufacturer had been shuttered and rolled up into another), but solid enough that I could work from them. I made myself VERY familiar with them. I colorized the wires in the PDFs, since some were scans, and examined it every time I touched a bit of wiring in the bus. Since mine is a van-based build, I also got complete wiring diagrams from Ford. A multi-meter is a great tool and can be had on the cheap (or even free) from Harbor Freight.

If you go the route of deleting, make sure you follow the advice already provided here. Document, label, photograph, etc. everything you do and make sure you test that your bus still works before you completely tear it loose. Best of luck with your project!