Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
Almost There

Extension Cords?

So I see alot of people saying they are using extension cords for the interior wiring on their bus.

Why? And what kind of extension cord do you use?

PNWorBUST72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have seen a number of folks using SO or SOJ wire for their bus 120v wiring.

The argument for using it is that stranded wire is considered better suited for mobile application than solid wire.

The argument against is that it is NOT code accepted for this application.

I have also seen a product that is essentially stranded Romex intended for marine 120v wiring.

I saw this used in the Marathon Coach factory several years ago. The electrician there claimed that it met NEC and RVIA code. I have not verified that.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
As far as I am aware, there are no codes for RV wiring. The RVAA is a voluntary industry organization that is still putting their seal of approval on flimsy motorhomes.

There are, however, best practises. Most people still use Romex for their 110V wiring. Will it break? Who knows, but Thomas used it to wire the four passenger heaters in my bus and they were all still working 18 years later.

Use whatever you feel comfortable with because I don't think you'll have an issue with either if you install it sensibly.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Almost There

But Romex what? I have seen 12/3, 14/2 and a half a dozen others.

I need to run a very basic AC system to get some outlets working in the bus as I renovate it. Right now the previous owner spliced an extension cord to romex he ran inside the RV to just plug in to his house but I am not exactly trusting his wiring.

I want an 50A shore connector and a 15A connector to a fuse box and then run 1-2 outlets off that to start. Still trying to work out the details so I dont have to re-do everything once I get the full system in.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
i was reading a post earlier where the guy put up a video saying he did his mostly in 12/2, with a little 14/3 for certain lights. ill try and find it
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
The whole subject of using extension cords for 120VAC wiring inside the bus has been discussed, sometimes very acrimoniously, many times on this and other forums. Fred Hobe does it, many others have also used it, but some folk get the heebie-jeebies when you mention extension cord and RV in the same sentence. Yes, extension cords are UL-rated, but their UL rating is for use as a temporary extension cord not inside conduit, not for permanent wiring in a vehicle. Gut feeling tells me that appropriately-sized extension cords will work just fine as long as they're not inside conduit or close confines. Mind you, solid-strand wiring such as Romex will also work just fine in a bus if it's properly supported to prevent any movement at all, and I mean any movement. Long unsupported lengths of Romex dangling in mid-air and bouncing around every time you drive over a bump (yes, Winnebago, I'm looking at you) is a recipe for problems, but if used intelligently it should be OK. I used some AFC MC-Lite metal-sheathed solid-core 10/2 for my 30 amp wiring from the generator and the two shore inlets, but it's secured every 10 to 12 inches and does not move at all. Obviously you cannot crimp terminals onto solid wire, but I found that forming the ends into small loops for the terminal screws works just as well as crimped-on lugs for stranded wire.

The NEC does not apply to RVs, let alone to self-built bus conversions, and the RVIA are a bunch of self-serving RV makers who are trying to convince gullible RV buyers and RV park owners that an RVIA sticker means anything. NFPA 1192 is more pertinent for us home-converters, but even then some of its provisions are of questionable relevance to us. I'm cognizant of the NEC and 1192, but I'm not slavishly following their specifications, merely using them as the starting point and making my own final determinations. Boating and marine standards may be more pertinant to us, but some of their stuff is very spendy (have you priced Ancor tinned marine wiring recently? Ouch.)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post

I need to run a very basic AC system to get some outlets working in the bus as I renovate it. Right now the previous owner spliced an extension cord to romex he ran inside the RV to just plug in to his house but I am not exactly trusting his wiring.

I want an 50A shore connector and a 15A connector to a fuse box and then run 1-2 outlets off that to start. Still trying to work out the details so I dont have to re-do everything once I get the full system in.
The wire gage you use depends on the draw of the devices on that circuit. 14ga is fine for most circuits but if you're powering hi draw stuff like electric cook tops and coffee makers you'd want 12ga. 14ga gives you 15 amps of power and uses a 15 amp breaker at the panel. 12ga wire gives you 20amps of power and get a 20amp breaker. Your 50amp shore power connection needs a 50 amp breaker at the panel.

12/3 is 12ga with two hot wires in the sheath. Generally you'll use 12/2 or 14/2 for your circuits. As others have said, solid wire will work fine with proper support but stranded wire is preferred. I used 12ga metallic cable for my two 120v circuits and 10ga metallic from the power panel to our 30 amp RV shore power plug.

The 50 amp connections aren't available at all RV parks but if you'll be running multiple roof AC units you'll need the power.

Ground your panel to the body.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS 65
Engine: 5.9L L6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
I was planning on running 12/2 in conduit for my 110 in the bus. Iceni, are you saying I should not put it in conduit? My thoughts were it would provide protection for the wire. Will it cause excess heat build up or something?

Genghis sends.

z
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
I was planning on running 12/2 in conduit for my 110 in the bus. Iceni, are you saying I should not put it in conduit? My thoughts were it would provide protection for the wire. Will it cause excess heat build up or something?

Genghis sends.

z
You would need to look up the NEC deratings for putting it inside conduit. Heat buildup is the reason for the lower ampacities when inside conduit.

John
Old 02-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
My thoughts were it would provide protection for the wire. Will it cause excess heat build up or something?

Genghis sends.

z
Protection from what?

Your wires will be run through, or otherwise attached to framing along their whole length and safely secured behind some form of sheathing.

Sounds decently protected to me

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWorBUST72 View Post

Generally, 12-3 is used for 20amp circuits and 14-3 is used for 15amp circuits

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Freightliner
Chassis: FS 65
Engine: 5.9L L6 Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Since we're talking wire here. I have bought a generator to run my 110 on the bus.

The question is: Do I need to place a grounding rod in the ground and attach it to the generator? What about the bus?

My plan is to set up a 110 harness within the bones to run various 110 outlets I install. Since these wires (12/2) will lead to a breaker box I will install, then to the generator should I ground the generator since everything will lead there?.

Genghis sends.

z
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Since we're talking wire here. I have bought a generator to run my 110 on the bus.

The question is: Do I need to place a grounding rod in the ground and attach it to the generator? What about the bus?

My plan is to set up a 110 harness within the bones to run various 110 outlets I install. Since these wires (12/2) will lead to a breaker box I will install, then to the generator should I ground the generator since everything will lead there?.

Genghis sends.

z
It increases the safety of the system...of course, I've used generators w/o grounding them...and lots of folks have...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:

Genghis sends.

z
The flexible metallic cable will give you plenty of protection and way easier to work with.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AFC-Cabl...-AFC/205015266
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
The flexible metallic cable will give you plenty of protection and way easier to work with.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AFC-Cabl...-AFC/205015266
Yup, that's what I used, except in 10/2 size. Maybe it's not as good as stranded, but it works well enough if supported correctly. In areas that could possibly be exposed to water or moisture I enclosed it inside clear vinyl tube. So far, so good.

John
Old 02-26-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
As far as I am aware, there are no codes for RV wiring. The RVAA is a voluntary industry organization that is still putting their seal of approval on flimsy motorhomes.

There are, however, best practises. Most people still use Romex for their 110V wiring. Will it break? Who knows, but Thomas used it to wire the four passenger heaters in my bus and they were all still working 18 years later.

Use whatever you feel comfortable with because I don't think you'll have an issue with either if you install it sensibly.
NEC applies. IIRC: part 551 among others.

Given that most of us are not going to have our rigs inspected and there is no "code police" for us to worry about we can ignore code if we choose to.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Almost There

Do you guys suggest AC in the walls too?

I like the AC in my luggage bays and maybe in the floor to run it the length of my coach but in the walls seems like alot...

Maybe a junction box where I bring the 14/3 AC to and then run 14/3 out through the interior?