Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Finding an installer to do my electric

Before I ask the second question here i will state my plain is rather simple, when i get the seats out i should load up the mini frig, computer, microwave, AC unit, and whatever I plan to use electricity wise on the bus to have that ready for the electric installation.

Ok, now when that's done,I plan to call, but does anyone know if places like Camping world or Rv dealers/service or individuals around Central Florida do this type of work on Sch bus. I guess a better way of asking this is (if someone like me prefers someone who knows what they are doing)

does anyone have any suggestions on anyone who has experience doing this electricity insulation on the bus and hooking the items up? I know I have heard of people in VA and SC that do but anyone around here in Central area of Fl ? I am in Daytona.

Should I consider places like camping world (if they do this) rv service centers, or electricians out of the phone book or any individual who is willing to assist that knows what they be doing? LOL, any suggestions?

I'd like to know how things have also worked out for others, seems so many people do it themselves but is there anyone else who needed to or relies on others for those talents? What's your experience or advice , how'd it work out for ya?

Thanks!

mdbutler79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'm going to use the electrician I use when building homes. You'll want to have the floor plan laid out with tape on the floor and have an idea of where every light you want is going to go and a list of everything that needs electricity. I plan on flooring and framing and then all electric installed before finishing walls and ceiling.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm planning to hire in as well. I don't know yet where to find someone to do it but I'm also going to have my ceiling floors and framework in first before I make the call and setup an appointment.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Real licensed electricians know their shite and will do things that make it safe. If you make mistakes with your wiring you could end up with a big pile of ashes. I tend to want to avoid these issues and thus will pay the extra to have it done right. I mean these guys KNOW what wire to use and knowing what you can and can't do.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
OMG great question like I called camping world and they acted like I had two heads! Said to email them pictures and details when I was ready and they would see if it was something they could take on. Sounds like I need a regular electrician
BigDeb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It has been my experience that typical (commercial/residential) licensed electricians are great at the household side of RV work, but totally lost when you throw in house batteries, complex charging systems and such. I have talked to several who had no clue what "hot skin" meant or how to avoid it. On the other hand, RV electrical experts who know all the systems are really hard to find. It is an area that is way easy to screw up.

I need to find someone myself as I am a total electro-dunce.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I thought a hot skin was how you keep fingerprints off your nice paint job.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
I think I read on HandyBob Solar that RV electricians don't know jack about what they're doing and will usually use too small wires, causing voltage drop if you plan on using solar panels. RV's tend to have lots of fires don't they?

Also, solar panel electricians might do the same thing, because if you're having a voltage drop problem and you don't know it, you'll assume you need more solar panels right? Well they want you to buy more of course.

Look up "The RV Battery charging puzzle" By HandyBob Solar. It's a LONG read, it took me 5 hours of head spinning reading to finish it, but it was worth the read. A Laymen can probably understand it. Just something I think anyone doing RV/Skoolie solar should have to chew on.
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaverBus View Post
I think I read on HandyBob Solar that RV electricians don't know jack about what they're doing and will usually use too small wires, causing voltage drop if you plan on using solar panels. RV's tend to have lots of fires don't they?

Also, solar panel electricians might do the same thing, because if you're having a voltage drop problem and you don't know it, you'll assume you need more solar panels right? Well they want you to buy more of course.

Look up "The RV Battery charging puzzle" By HandyBob Solar. It's a LONG read, it took me 5 hours of head spinning reading to finish it, but it was worth the read. A Laymen can probably understand it. Just something I think anyone doing RV/Skoolie solar should have to chew on.
That is an excellent piece of writing. Bob is a bit "shouty", but the information seems to be solid.

He is especially scathing of RV manufacturers who are still fitting 14.4V chargers to systems with FLA batteries, when the battery makers clearly state they need 14.8V to fully charge them, and can go as high as 15.3V with temperature monitoring.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
I would look for a good solar installer if not doing it myself.....They know 120 and 12v. Experienced in proper AC and DC wiring sizing. Know inverters and chargers. And understand batteries. AND most of us add solar to the mix any ways.
Doug
Old 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
I would look for a good solar installer if not doing it myself.....They know 120 and 12v. Experienced in proper AC and DC wiring sizing. Know inverters and chargers. And understand batteries. AND most of us add solar to the mix any ways.
Doug
HI< I am actually just learning any of this. I really don't know what I need, I want to have an electrical system on one side now, to where I can just pull into a campground and plug up. (Not sure If I need a breaker box on the bus?) but then later when I get the money, I am going to install solar on the other side.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
HI< I am actually just learning any of this. I really don't know what I need, I want to have an electrical system on one side now, to where I can just pull into a campground and plug up. (Not sure If I need a breaker box on the bus?) but then later when I get the money, I am going to install solar on the other side.
You will want shore power connection- 30 amp minimum. Shore power, like boats use, will give you household 120v outlets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorepower
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, Great advice, now campgrounds usually do 30 amp OR 50 amp correct? I think I have been wanting the 50 amp to make sure I have enough , but do you think I need a breaker on the bus? Do most skoolies do right? THanks!!! ANything else I should know?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeb68 View Post
Yes, Great advice, now campgrounds usually do 30 amp OR 50 amp correct? I think I have been wanting the 50 amp to make sure I have enough , but do you think I need a breaker on the bus? Do most skoolies do right? THanks!!! ANything else I should know?
First, calculate your power requirements. A/C is hungry.

I'd go with the 50 amp. You can get a plug adapter and still use a 30-amp park service, but just limit your power draw yourself.

Most people just go with a small residential breaker box- usually cheaper to get them loaded w/ breakers already.

Get reading !

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/bu...ms-ac-448.html

and later on when ready for 12v DC sevice

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/bu...ms-dc-449.html

Conversion Tutorials and How-to's - School Bus Conversion Resources

ready-made unit, just idea- no experience w/ it

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 3.10.54 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	18919
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
When I repowered my RV and plan to do same on soon to progress Blue Bird of Paradise. I used a 50 amp Ag panel (had a main in it) wired the had to have stuff 1 rooftop TV and Fridge on1 leg of 220v circuit giving 110v and then wired remaining stuff receptacles lights ect. to other leg of panel giving it 110v I have a 30 amp cord that feeds only important stuff leg of panel as 30 amp is 110v or a 50 amp cord that feeds both legs of the panel as 50 amp is 220v I have found at least where we set up 50amp has been everywhere.