Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Galloping Goose House Electrical System

I am working on a preliminary design for my electrical system. I am sizing the sytem so that it would have the capability to run a small mini split for a short period of time. The following is a list of the main components I am considering along with my reasoning. Once the main components are decided I draw up a diagram showing components, fuses ect.

Pioneer 9000 BTU mini split

-115v, SEER 17, Max power draw is 1.087 kw, power draw at rated 9000 btu cooling is 782 watts.

This is an inexpensive mini split. The 9000 BTU should be more than sufficient to cool the sleeping area as it will be well insulated and can be separated from the rest of the bus. There are much more efficient mini splits but they are 230 volt and more $$$.

Trojan L16h-ac

6 volt 435 amp hour @ 20 hour discharge rate

I plan on using 4 in series for a 24 volt bank with a 175 amp hour usable capacity @ 40% depth of discharge. This would give me a conservative 4.2 kwh of energy.

At the rated power consumption for the mini split it would draw about 6.5 amp @ 120 volt and with a 90% inverter efficiency it would draw 36 amps @ 24 volts from the battery bank.

Using the 10 hour rating rating of 400 ah @ 40% depth of discharge this would give me 160 ah of capacity or 4.44 hours of run time. This should be ok as 36 amps is less about 1/12 of the 20 hour rating for the battery?

Victron multiplus 24/3000 120v inverter charger

This inverter charger has many settings for multi stage charging and limiting the charge current and current draw to the batteries.

Victron Color Control GX and 700 series Battery moniter

The CCGX has a nice graphic display of what the system is doing as well as the ability to display tank levels. The main reason I want to use it is that it has a generator start relay that has many conditions that can be set for the generator starting like the battery state of charge and current draw on the battery.

The CCGX needs the state of charge information from the battery moniter.

powertech ptrv-3

3kw diesel generator

I'm using this generator because of its low fuel consumption and the 3 kw should be just big enough to charge the batteries with 40 amps from the inverter (8 amp @120v) while running the minisplit (6 amp @ 120v) I was also able to buy a new never used one on Ebay for 1/2 the cost of new.

Victron Orion 24v to 12v converter

This will down convert the 24v to 12v for my 12v loads like lighting, fantastic fans, water pump, and espar coolant heater.

Victron battery protect

All the 24v and 12v loads will run through the battery protect to prevent over discharge of the battery.

Sterling 12v to 24v Battery to Battery charger

This B to B charger could charge the house bank while going down the road @ a max of 50 amps. I need to check the output of my bus alternator and see if this is a good option.

I welcome any questions or suggestions.

Thanks

Ted

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I admit it....... I have generator envy...

That sounds like a well thought out system.

I am going with a similar setup. I have found 24v pieces to keep as much as I can directly from the batteries. Water pump and USB chargers were easy.

For my lighting I found that running pairs of 12v led lights in series and running directly from the batteries works well.

The only thing, so far, that I need a 24-12v converter for is my Webasto. It is available in a 24v version but I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up on the 12v version.

Do you have any plans to install solar?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I admit it....... I have generator envy...

That sounds like a well thought out system.

I am going with a similar setup. I have found 24v pieces to keep as much as I can directly from the batteries. Water pump and USB chargers were easy.

For my lighting I found that running pairs of 12v led lights in series and running directly from the batteries works well.

The only thing, so far, that I need a 24-12v converter for is my Webasto. It is available in a 24v version but I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up on the 12v version.

Do you have any plans to install solar?
Thanks Steve.

I may add solar later. I will be doing alot of my traveling in the winter for skiing so I didn't see the solar as being as useful as a generator. I will install mounting brakets for panels before I insulate the ceiling. With this system I should be able to just add panels and a charge controller to upgrade to solar.

Ted
Old 10-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Thanks Steve.

I may add solar later. I will be doing alot of my traveling in the winter for skiing so I didn't see the solar as being as useful as a generator. I will install mounting brakets for panels before I insulate the ceiling. With this system I should be able to just add panels and a charge controller to upgrade to solar.

Ted
Agreed. Solar definitely plays much better when the panels are not covered in snow.

You and I have very different perspectives regarding the correct use of a skoolie......

When white crap starts falling from the sky I get in the bus and run away. You go to the snow... Have you considered counseling?

I think that you have assembled a great foundation to accommodate solar.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Agreed. Solar definitely plays much better when the panels are not covered in snow.

You and I have very different perspectives regarding the correct use of a skoolie......

When white crap starts falling from the sky I get in the bus and run away. You go to the snow... Have you considered counseling?

I think that you have assembled a great foundation to accommodate solar.
Panels being covered in snow and the short days are not so good for the solar. I was a ski instructor for over 15 years so I don't mind the cold. I do plan on going south as well. The winter would be a great time to hang out in the desert and go biking in Moab.

I wish the victron quattro was closer in price to the multi plus since it can accept the 2 AC inputs. Do you have any recommendations for a good transfer switch?

Ted
Old 10-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Panels being covered in snow and the short days are not so good for the solar. I was a ski instructor for over 15 years so I don't mind the cold. I do plan on going south as well. The winter would be a great time to hang out in the desert and go biking in Moab.

I wish the victron quattro was closer in price to the multi plus since it can accept the 2 AC inputs. Do you have any recommendations for a good transfer switch?

Ted
Is your shore power connection 30 amp or 50 amp?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Is your shore power connection 30 amp or 50 amp?
It will be set up for 30 amp.

Ted
Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Here is the one that I am using ::
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJVSCY4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks. Looks like a good one. Not much to compare as far as features on transfer switches. They all seem pretty similar. It looks like it has good reviews on amazon.

I'm wondering if adding a surge protector after the transfer switch would be a good idea? This model seems to be highly regarded on the RV forums.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x

Ted
Old 10-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Thanks. Looks like a good one. Not much to compare as far as features on transfer switches. They all seem pretty similar. It looks like it has good reviews on amazon.

I'm wondering if adding a surge protector after the transfer switch would be a good idea? This model seems to be highly regarded on the RV forums.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt30x

Ted
The unit in the link is hung on the power pole at the RV park (or your house, etc.). Progressive Industries also manufactures a wired solution. You would use the wired solution if you put the EMS after the transfer switch. We have one after our transfer switch so that shore or generator source is only allowed if the EMS say it is good. I also wired in a breaker after the EMS and only flip that breaker if the EMS indicates that we have good power coming in.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The unit in the link is hung on the power pole at the RV park (or your house, etc.). Progressive Industries also manufactures a wired solution. You would use the wired solution if you put the EMS after the transfer switch. We have one after our transfer switch so that shore or generator source is only allowed if the EMS say it is good. I also wired in a breaker after the EMS and only flip that breaker if the EMS indicates that we have good power coming in.
Oops your right I meant to link the hard wired one. Their site has a drop down menu for the products and I think it defaults to this page. Good idea with the manual breaker.

Ted
Old 10-23-2019, 04:02 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Oops your right I meant to link the hard wired one. Their site has a drop down menu for the products and I think it defaults to this page. Good idea with the manual breaker.

Ted
Reminder ... make sure the breaker matches the input service current.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Look into crown cr-215 batteries. I found the L16s to be a little too tall and the crowns were perfect. Similar capacity and quality and way cheaper. Bought mine via the solar biz and am really happy with them.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:

Ted
One of the coolest places I have ever camped is just outside Moab. I can't believe that was over 20 years ago. I think that I am due for a visit.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
One of the coolest places I have ever camped is just outside Moab. I can't believe that was over 20 years ago. I think that I am due for a visit.
I've never been there but I've heard good things. Fortunately I have most of the winter off so I could get down there when it isn't hot and crowded.

Ted
Old 10-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I’ve been using my Victron 24/3000 for 4 years now in my cargo trailer. It’s been a good inverter/charger. I bought a color control gx at last. Spendy little gizmo! Need to get it hooked up. The power terminals seem a bit fragile for a $512 control panel. So be careful.
Victron also makes a big DC to dC charger if you decide to stick with one brand.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I’ve been using my Victron 24/3000 for 4 years now in my cargo trailer. It’s been a good inverter/charger. I bought a color control gx at last. Spendy little gizmo! Need to get it hooked up. The power terminals seem a bit fragile for a $512 control panel. So be careful.
Victron also makes a big DC to dC charger if you decide to stick with one brand.
Good to see a good review of the victron inverter/charger. The ccgx is pretty pricey but it has a lot of features. Please let me know how you like it.

Thanks

Ted
Old 10-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Good to see a good review of the victron inverter/charger. The ccgx is pretty pricey but it has a lot of features. Please let me know how you like it.

Thanks

Ted
When I worked in IT we had a little quip "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".

That could be applied to Victron.

I have heard some complaints about their tech support. I don't get it. I have made around six calls to them and been pleased with them. In fairness, the folks that bitched the loudest claimed that Victron has no phone support. I am not sure what they may be smoking. Every time I have called Victron I have received good phone support that does not come from Bangalore.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
My limited experience with Victron Energy has been very good. When I called saying I couldn’t find a temperature sensor for my inverter they sent me one free of charge. Now that’s a good start and a smart company realizes there’s a good chance of a repeat customer.
When I spoke with a former Magnum Energy engineer he did it say much but “very aggressive company”.
Im not using my Victron system right now but hope to soon. Then I’ll try out the CCGX panel.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote