Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Rated Cap: 25
Gauge Cluster Upgrade

Hey everyone,

It's me again

I was wondering if someone can tell me if it's possible to upgrade my gauge cluster, and if so, what I need to do so. I need to upgrade because my mileage isn't tracked properly and I want to be able to track it properly and more efficiently (since we can program the proper mileage into the digital version).

My current gauge cluster is the older model Freightliner, shown in the attached picture (should be the first pic). The model I want to upgrade to is the digital version. I'm asking because there is a difference in plugs, and the oil pressure sensor is digitized in the new version, where mine has a black pipe or cable that runs to the back of the actual oil gauge.

Can someone tell me if I can upgrade my cluster to the new version, and what adapters I'd need and what parts I'd need to do so?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
file2.jpg   file1.jpg   file (1).jpg   phpThumb_generated_thumbnail.jpg   phpThumb_generated_thumbnail (1).jpg  

sean82206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:22 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean82206 View Post
Hey everyone,

It's me again

I was wondering if someone can tell me if it's possible to upgrade my gauge cluster, and if so, what I need to do so. I need to upgrade because my mileage isn't tracked properly and I want to be able to track it properly and more efficiently (since we can program the proper mileage into the digital version).

My current gauge cluster is the older model Freightliner, shown in the attached picture (should be the first pic). The model I want to upgrade to is the digital version. I'm asking because there is a difference in plugs, and the oil pressure sensor is digitized in the new version, where mine has a black pipe or cable that runs to the back of the actual oil gauge.

Can someone tell me if I can upgrade my cluster to the new version, and what adapters I'd need and what parts I'd need to do so?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a mechanical gauge...so you'd have to have a pressure sensor...( the "black line" is actually oil from the engine)...for the plug you need know what the wires do...a "pin-out" then you can wire the plug you need into your existing harness...probably gonna be harder than it sounds...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is your 3126 the electronic version? im guessing yes because the bus is a 2002.. you can look up the pinouts for the connectors online, but im thinking the new gauge cluster is a fully data-link (J1939) version.. the 3126 being a HEUI engine should be sourcing oil pressure to the ECM which means it will get sent on the J1939.. so the new gauge would work..

the only way to know for sure would be to compare wiring diagrams and see the following:
1. if there is an oil pressure sending unit on your engine..
2. compare the wires used on both clusters.. (what you are looking for is to see if each gauge used an individual sender or if the gauge data is sourced via CAN (J1939)..
if your current cluster operates on all individual senders)which the wiring on your current kind of indicates) but you note the pinout of the new one has only a data link and not sender inputs for each gauge.. then you are likely out of luck.

I dont have any freightliner wiring diagrams.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Rated Cap: 25
Jdawgsfamtasy and cadallickid,

Thanks out for your input! Lol, it doesn't help that I don't know all of what you're talking about. I understand the sending unit. I'm just drawing blanks about the J1939 and things like that. Could you help me understand a little bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sean82206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean82206 View Post
Jdawgsfamtasy and cadallickid,

Thanks out for your input! Lol, it doesn't help that I don't know all of what you're talking about. I understand the sending unit. I'm just drawing blanks about the J1939 and things like that. Could you help me understand a little bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can only wish you luck...and maybe this link will help https://youtu.be/l_VYc9dG3EI

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sean - J1939 is a datalink.. so instead of an actual sending unit with wires oif its own going tio the gauge, the gauge cluster is on a data-link.. so essentially its the engine computer "tells" the gauge clustrer... 'speed = 25, rpm = 1500', etc.. with the oklder style there was a hardware sending unit which went to each gauge.. each sending unit had often 2 wires or more.. with the datalink, 2 wires handles all of the gauges.. (except fuel and air pressure normally).. the engine computer needs the same data to operate correctly, so the manufacturer though having one engine temp sending unit to operate the engine computer and the gauge was better than having a separate one for each...

I have no idea how freightliner did it in your year, however I know in later years they did it with the data link..

thats why I say you may need to see if you can get the wiring diagram for each gauge cluster and see how they are wired up to see if there is a chance of doing what you want to do..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote