Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Gauge Panel Not Working (but was)... what to check first?

Hi Everyone!
So my International's Gauge Panel has been working fine whenever I turned vehicle on to run the battery or move it a bit around the yard.

Now, bus starts up fine, sounds good, lights inside and out work, but nothing on the gauge panel registers anything. Batteries have not needed any jumping... they've been fine. We haven't messed with the gauge panel at all so whatever changed did it on its own.

Any direction you can give me as to what I may check prior to taking apart the gauge panel itself? I'm avoiding disassembling the panel if I don't need to... it's very intimidating. I've checked other blogs on this and it doesn't seem quite what has happened here. Someone took apart the panel when they didn't need to... yikes. Someone else had said the International T 444E have had some history of going in and out with working, but mine isn't going in and out. It's just out.

Thanks much and have a terrific day!

Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Hi Everyone!
So my International's Gauge Panel has been working fine whenever I turned vehicle on to run the battery or move it a bit around the yard.

Now, bus starts up fine, sounds good, lights inside and out work, but nothing on the gauge panel registers anything. Batteries have not needed any jumping... they've been fine. We haven't messed with the gauge panel at all so whatever changed did it on its own.

Any direction you can give me as to what I may check prior to taking apart the gauge panel itself? I'm avoiding disassembling the panel if I don't need to... it's very intimidating. I've checked other blogs on this and it doesn't seem quite what has happened here. Someone took apart the panel when they didn't need to... yikes. Someone else had said the International T 444E have had some history of going in and out with working, but mine isn't going in and out. It's just out.

Thanks much and have a terrific day!
Right before I broke my hip, I had to replace the gauge cluster in a international truck for that reason.check at the harness and verify both gauge input and ground at the pc board connector on the back of the cluster. If its there you should be able to ground the sender for each gauge and make it swing the needle. Also determine the pos and neg on the cluster board and bench test it. Same method pos and neg at gauge ground s terminal to peg needle. I use a test lamp so current is limited.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Bus Nut

You might try the Doh! Tests first check fuses and make sure the harness at the cluster hasn't fallen off.

DOH!!
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
While you might think pulling the panel is intimidating, you should do it and get to know your bus at the same time. Sometimes these issues are so simple and can only be determined with some patience and desire to know what goes on back there. Just be really careful, take pics when it comes out and then if something gets pulled off you know where to put it back. It won't bite you but use care and push all connectors on tight and inspect and tighten any grounds. A good time to replace any burnt out idiot lights etc.
You can and should do this simple task, build some confidence,

John
Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
While you might think pulling the panel is intimidating, you should do it and get to know your bus at the same time. Sometimes these issues are so simple and can only be determined with some patience and desire to know what goes on back there. Just be really careful, take pics when it comes out and then if something gets pulled off you know where to put it back. It won't bite you but use care and push all connectors on tight and inspect and tighten any grounds. A good time to replace any burnt out idiot lights etc.

John
You got me doing that myself.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You got me doing that myself.

Then CB, my time here hasn't been a total waste. Glad to share or make suggestions when I can. Can't help my love for diesel machines, had/have a whack of them and have encountered most issues. Some of the newer electronics I pick up what I can from Chris and others, but was never an interest or a strength.

Thanks to you all for sharing your own specialties and experiences, good and bad.

Makes us all better bussers.

John
Old 08-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
on your dead panel, does your fuerl gauge still register? the 444E panel has a datalink to the computer for the 5 main gauges but not for the fuel gauge.. if the panel loses power feed altogether then none of the gauges will work except the air-pressure (its fully mechanical).. if just the 5 main gauges fail or freeze.. the data link has gone defunct.. you can often reach behind the dash and press on the connectors.. one may have popped a little loose and it will come back to life... with no power,(dead fuel gauge too) id check fuses and fusible links..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post

John
If it had any mileage I'd recommend replacing all.the bulbs awhile you have it out. Thirty bucks now or a couple hours later when you don't have the time.

Tags
gauge panel, t 444e