Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 71
Generator

Need some ideas! We are converting a 40ft International. We will have one roof top Air, one window Air in the back. Refrigerator, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, led lights. We are not using propane so will be 100% electrified. I want a generator to run roof top Air and fridge while we travel. The Honda Eu. Looks like the quietest but most expensive. Any suggestions? We live in Iowa.
grizzlyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
If you look there are other inverter generators out there comparable to the Honda in output power but for less $$$.

Briggs & Stratton makes one, you can almost buy two of them for what one Honda costs, or you can get one of the larger model.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Amazon has a Hyundai HY2000si inverter generator for $550.

Check out the top review for some good information about it. It seems that there are two issues to look out for: the factory torque on the spark plug is not enough to keep it from coming loose with a couple hours of run time; and the float in the carburetor bowl may need adjustment.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Do you need 240 volt? Do you want/need inverter style? Portable? If so, Honda EU7000is and Yamaha EF6300iSDE are the only options. I checked my local classifieds regularly for quite a while and finally won an EU7000 used with about 170 hours at about 20% discount from new price. I like it quite a lot. At the time it was rated the quietest unit in the whole Honda and Yamaha lineup, and also was the only fuel-injected model. The youtube videos that make it seem like you can stand around the generator and have a conversation at essentially normal volume really are true.

Onan makes a few with inverter technology. At least one is a hybrid: it has an engine and also a battery bank connection. It can run the inverter off battery for smaller loads and start the engine as needed for re-charging or for larger loads. Very nice, but too expensive for my budget. One of our members has one.

If you don't need 240 volt the options open up substantially. My personal opinion is that Honda and Yamaha do charge a little premium for their brand name. But it's not entirely unearned. I do believe their machines cost more to build and in turn they'll run longer and better than the cheaper ones. That said, for a consumer who'll run their machine 10 hours per year for a handful of years, a less expensive machine with life expectancy of 50 to 100 operating hours could meet the need at lower cost.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Sometimes I am flush, sometimes I am nearly broke. I always endeavor to buy the best quality tools that I can possibly afford.

Eleven years ago I needed a generator. I researched, talked to other RVers and finally decided on the Honda EU3000.

I cannot begin to describe how well this generator has served us. We have been boondocking regularly for as much as two weeks at a time. We now live in an area prone to power failures. My best guess on hours run in the last year is 400-500 hours. I am sure that since purchase I have run the genny well over 2500 hours.

In 11 years I have changed the oil, air filter and spark plug regularly. I have replaced the battery once and had the carb rebuilt once. It runs like a champ.

It is the quietest generator of its capacity that I have found.

Service & parts are available in more locations than any other manufacturer that I know of. When I was on the road and needed service I googled and found 3 well reviewed Honda service shops within 30 minute drive.

Yah.... I love my Honda.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Sometimes I am flush, sometimes I am nearly broke. I always endeavor to buy the best quality tools that I can possibly afford.

Eleven years ago I needed a generator. I researched, talked to other RVers and finally decided on the Honda EU3000.

I cannot begin to describe how well this generator has served us. We have been boondocking regularly for as much as two weeks at a time. We now live in an area prone to power failures. My best guess on hours run in the last year is 400-500 hours. I am sure that since purchase I have run the genny well over 2500 hours.

In 11 years I have changed the oil, air filter and spark plug regularly. I have replaced the battery once and had the carb rebuilt once. It runs like a champ.

It is the quietest generator of its capacity that I have found.

Service & parts are available in more locations than any other manufacturer that I know of. When I was on the road and needed service I googled and found 3 well reviewed Honda service shops within 30 minute drive.

Yah.... I love my Honda.
how much does a unit like that weigh? my big thing with any genny is I fly solo.. im just a little weakling 140 lb guy.. so I need something I can actually lift in and out of the bus when I want to use it..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Decent Onans can be had for not too much $$ if you look around.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466E
Rated Cap: 72 passenger
Chris: the lightest Eu3k is about 150 lbs. But two EU2000's will give you redundancy and 4000 watts while each unit only weighs about 50 lbs.

The EU3k is a *darned* nice machine. But if weight/redundancy is important, 2 ea EU2000's work really, really well parallelled.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
how much does a unit like that weigh? my big thing with any genny is I fly solo.. im just a little weakling 140 lb guy.. so I need something I can actually lift in and out of the bus when I want to use it..
-Christopher
I am with you. I don't have the upper body strength that I did 20 years ago.

Honda says 131lbs. That seams a bit exaggerated to me as I have on a number of occasions loaded & unloaded it from the back of my pickup by myself. I really prefer not to.

That said, They also make 1000, 2000 and 7000 watt versions in that line. You can even get a pair (of like rating) and link them together to have double the capacity. I can (barely) pick the 2000 up with one hand.

When I went on a long road trip with it and my 5er I built an extended bumper on the 5er and bolted & locked the generator to the structure. It spent almost two years bolted to the back.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Decent Onans can be had for not too much $$ if you look around.
I have had a couple of Onan's. No doubt they are fine "conventional" generators. If I was unaware of the Honda Inverter generators I would likely be looking at Onan. IMHO: They are well built and well supported. Parts & service are readily available. Many Cummins shops will work on them.

However, if noise and fuel burn are a priority, they can't touch the Honda.

I just did a quick search on CL in my area and it turned up 3 used 4000 Watt Onan generators ranging from $200-$600. The $200 one looked pretty rough.

Two used Honda eu3000i's showed up as well for $1500 & $1750. It would take a while to recover the difference just in fuel. I have used mine enough that I am certain that it has paid off.

As far as operation goes, the Honda is sooo quiet under light load that I can camp in a serene spot and not be bothered unless some guy pulls up with his Onan 200 yards away. Then I can't hear my Honda at all over the racket. I do like my quiet. Ok... I may be exaggerating just a bit but you get the idea