Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Generator Advice

Sorry for the long post!

Wanted to get some advice and input from the community here. I am going to be living off grid for a while in my skoolie in very warm climate, Were it's mid 90's high 80s for four months a year.

So AC is a must. I bought my own land and power is all around me, but the power co-op wants and insane number to connect power to the lot like to the tune of like 8,000 dollars OMG going to take me awhile to save that! I have 1KW of solar for daily needs but need to power four 5k BTU window units, for summer time months.

What generator would you use to do that? Here is why my research has found my budget is like $1000 bucks tops

Propane is pricey there a 250 gallon tank is $470 to fill up and those 7.5-10K home standby units use a gallon an hour. 10 hours a day that's $500 a month and I guess the some of them are only rated to run 3000 hours. These can be found for around $2000.00, I could swing that but such a short life!

Diesel is good for long term, but very pricey up front to rich for me and again seems to drink a gallon an hour or so.

Gas is most common and I have a few 2000W inverter units, but one 2000W unit will not start and run two 5K BTU window units. The windows units only draw about 600 watts and with the start up that's what like 1200 watts a pop. So I assume a 5000W gen set is enough for all 4 units but again they then cheap open frame ones use 5 gallons over 10 hours or so 15 bucks a day nearly $460 a month.

What's the cheapest way to do this and have a gen that is affordable enough to last a few years and maybe replace every three years if they make 3600 hours.

bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskypc50 View Post

What's the cheapest way to do this and have a gen that is affordable enough to last a few years and maybe replace every three years if they make 3600 hours.
Well, you certainly don't ask for much....

Super Durable
Sips fuel
Under a grand
Quiet
Makes esspresso w/ extra crema

What does it cost to rent a trencher and run the power line yourself, they do pole hookup?
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
you are going to need much more solar and a battery back up system with an inverter, or pay the 8000 for the power hook up, cheaper in the long run
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Ya not a lot just those few things it would be better if it made beer but coffee works LOL I know nothing like that is made for my budget so looking for compromise. It’s all overhead wires.

Ya long term I will hook up to the grid looking for a compromise to make it 2-3 yeas. I have 1kw solar and 600 amp hours of battery’s and 2000w inverter charger I know barely a enough to keep the fridge and freezer going overnight
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote