Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Generator Heat in Storage Bay

On my passenger side I reinforced the storage bay, and vented.
It houses my 500 AH battery bank, my 3000w aims inverter/charger, as well as my 120amp box. On the exterior of the door I have a 30amp inlet for shore power.
I was going to put a 5000w onan in, but got rid of the thing as I spent nearly a month teaching myself how to repair it and grew to hate it.

I got ahold of a 3100w Champion Inverter generator with 5hrs on it for $400 at a garage sale from a retired guy here in FL. It's got a 30 amp plug on it perfect for quick connecting.

My AC load is powered through the inverter, with solar/alternator doing most of the charging, but would plug in the gen if needed.

My big QUESTION is the heat from the generator, now I have a good amount of money in this compartment, and I run a fan off an 110 outlet in the inverter to cool it down as well. But I don't want to overheat anything! If i separated the compartment with a metal wall with some insulation would that help?

My only other solution is: because my back 8 feet of the bus chassis is lowered and with air ride (we used for 3 2500 pound horses to walk in) I can put the generator back there and run my rooftop AC to a 30amp box and run the gen while driving.
TO charge to batteries when boon docking I guess I could wheel the generator out to the 30amp inlet by the storage bay. Maybe weld a box on wheels with a chain to the bus to fend off some pesky raccoons?

Brendan

Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
N F,
"If i separated the compartment with a metal wall with some insulation would that help?"

That is a sure fire recipe for disaster. The one thing these inverter generators can't stand is heat. Even if the engine were to survive, the generator head will over heat, melt the insulation on the windings and fail--thats if the computer doesn't fail first. It takes a whole lot of air to keep a generator happy, so if you can devise a way to roll the genny out when you need to use it will have a longer life.

Having preached all that, I do have my 3K inverter genny in a compartment and so far so good. Of course I added both a pusher and a puller fan, both thermostatically controlled and an over temp shut down. I also removed the exterior casement and relocated the computer and operating electronics to the inside of my bus to help control the heat load. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
portable generator running in the bay

I just bought a 3700 inverter generator because I was so over my 12 kw onan with 200 hours. The newest repair was going to cost the price of this duel fuel, much more efficient and quiet gen. Plus 750 lbs lighter.

The old gen was water cooled. The new one is air, and I hope to leave it in the bay while running it (with proper exhaust pipe to outside.

Are you still running yours in the bay? Is this an ok option?
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
I run mine under the floor/behind the skirt but not fully enclosed.

Seems to work fine so far, although in extremely hot weather I open/extend the drawer it is in to allow for better ventilation sometimes.

Whatever you do airflow and ventilation is important. If you run it in a bay I would cut openings and install fans that start automatically when you fire it up.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
You will need cooling. My 3000 watt inverter genny is in a closed box and is cooled by a pusher fan at all times as well as a thermostatically controlled puller fan which kicks in when the temp in the box hits 60 degrees Centigrade (140 F). I have a temp controlled kill switch that shuts down the genny if its oil temp goes above 93 degrees C (200 F). So far so good. The over temp shut down hasn't happened yet even in 100 F weather--but I watch it like a hawk!
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
The wall may be a good idea. But metal will increase the heat. Wood would be a more natural choice. Seems more ventilation fans could be helpful. Fan down low, vent up high. Imho.

When off the grid it woild be best to have generator outside. Yeah they can be heavy.

I use my generator only as last.resort
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Tc2000
Heat

Seem a wall might do the trick. But more ventilation may be more helpful.
Fams down low. Vent up high.
Metal wall would increase heat. Where wood may be a better option. imho

I only use my generator as last resort. I place it outside when running
NavyVet is offline   Reply With Quote