Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Generator selection

Any opinions on purchasing this generator to do work on the bus? Wont be permanent fixture, probably throw it in garage as a backup and install a bigger one as permanent gen. it'll just be to power up all tools necessary for the build.
Attached Thumbnails
20180312_092630.jpg  

Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Champion has a pretty good reputation.

That particular model will very loud. If the noise isn't an issue where you are at that generator should be fine to run your tools.

You may want to take a look at Champion's inverter generators. They are much quieter.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I'd love to, just pricey. I'll hold off right now on purchase for a couple days before making final decision though. Noise is a slight concern
Old 03-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Factory refurbished $599:

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...xoCxDgQAvD_BwE
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
ill be keeping this one in mind. looks about 250 off normal price, which is a nice deal. Definitely more than i wanted to spend on something that wont be a permanent fixture on the bus, but at this point is pretty necessary to get the bus done...we will see how my tips go next couple nights delivering pizza. i have the money, just don't wanna spend it, lol. wallet is shut tight to be able to do this bus, but i still don't like opening it that much for one item
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
I picked up a 3.5kw Predator Inverter Generator from Harbor freight last month for $659 (if I remember correctly). They were on sale again this weekend during a parking lot sale. I assume they are regular price again, but even at regular price, they aren't too pricey.

I will mention I unboxed the first one and a wheel was sheared off. Looks like someone must have dropped the box on the corner.

I am running the generator whenever I am around, trying to get it broken in. I have about 4 or 5 hours on it now, usually I just plug a mid sized heater into it to give it some load. Not too noisy, and I think that should be enough power for me if I was only planning on 30amp shore power eventually anyway. If I had unlimited funds, I would have bought a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator instead, but I have heard decent reviews of this generator at least at this price point.

I have heard similar good reviews of champion (good generator for the price point). But that style generator will be fairly noisy as others have said.

Another option if you are only powering tools at this time might be a cheaper 2kw inverter generator? At some point in the future if you need more power there are parallel kits that allow you to add another to get a total of 4kw.
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
I picked up a 3.5kw Predator Inverter Generator from Harbor freight last month for $659 (if I remember correctly). They were on sale again this weekend during a parking lot sale. I assume they are regular price again, but even at regular price, they aren't too pricey.

I will mention I unboxed the first one and a wheel was sheared off. Looks like someone must have dropped the box on the corner.

I am running the generator whenever I am around, trying to get it broken in. I have about 4 or 5 hours on it now, usually I just plug a mid sized heater into it to give it some load. Not too noisy, and I think that should be enough power for me if I was only planning on 30amp shore power eventually anyway. If I had unlimited funds, I would have bought a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator instead, but I have heard decent reviews of this generator at least at this price point.

I have heard similar good reviews of champion (good generator for the price point). But that style generator will be fairly noisy as others have said.

Another option if you are only powering tools at this time might be a cheaper 2kw inverter generator? At some point in the future if you need more power there are parallel kits that allow you to add another to get a total of 4kw.
thanks for the input. i was actually considering going with a smaller champion, with ability to add one on later if need, but then id end up paying 900 to get two 1700 watts, so im gonna consider my electrical system and its usage a bit more before making a final decision. im only in the gutting process and had the bus for about a week so i dont have the electrical all figured out yet

edit - anyone running 2 smaller generators linked like these on their buses?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
thanks for the input. i was actually considering going with a smaller champion, with ability to add one on later if need, but then id end up paying 900 to get two 1700 watts, so im gonna consider my electrical system and its usage a bit more before making a final decision. im only in the gutting process and had the bus for about a week so i dont have the electrical all figured out yet

edit - anyone running 2 smaller generators linked like these on their buses?
Yup, 2 generators + parallel kit is a pricy way to get the same kw.

I think that your 4k champion (non-inverter) will be lighter than my 3.5k inverter, but I will mention that the 3.5kw inverter generator is a bit heavy. I haven't built a spot for it under the bus yet, so I would have to put it inside while moving or if I needed to secure it while I wasn't at home. I have a handicap lift so thats not an issue, but if I was having to lift it and put it in through the emergency door, it would only be a matter of time before I lifted it wrong and tweaked my back.

I'd go to the store and try lifting the shipping box to make sure you know how heavy in real life your generator is and if you will be able to put it where ever it needs to go. I think you will be okay, but by comparison those 2kw inverters are really sweet from being able to pick them up and carry them to where they need to go.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Having wheels on a "portable" is mighty helpful.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Having wheels on a "portable" is mighty helpful.
I would add the words 'useful sized' in front of wheels. I just dragged my generator across my rock driveway with the stock wheels, and it was better than not having wheels, but not much.
Attached Images