Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
That is a good looking electric panel. Nice work. If your worried about moisture on your connections a little dab of dielectric grease would prevent corrosion. It would attract dust though.

Ted

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Yes, dust is a major problem gathering on wiring. It will just wick moisture to the connection sooner.

John
Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Yes, dust is a major problem gathering on wiring. It will just wick moisture to the connection sooner.
You're killin' me John...

Merman!

"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty..."
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

"Here is a pic of the fuse box. The metal under the screws is fixed in place..."

If those screws are backed out there should be plenty of room for the wire.
You strip it long enough to wrap around the screw. Twisting the wire also reduces the diameter to allow this. Place the wire so that it is under the screw first then tighten. The screw will shape the wire around itself.
This way whatever you used there as a crimp on connector is eliminated and

if shrink wrapped will not allow moisture to enter and work its way up inside the wire.
When you stripped those wires how did they look? Obviously not a new copper colour. Maybe turning dark black? They are 40 plus years old and likely were never meant to last any longer than a bus company would have that bus in service.

I can understand your desire to get that job done with family to consider and everything, but in bus builds plans are often changed after implementing them. Forethought has a lot to say for itself before tackling any of these tasks.
If you are happy that is all that matters. Sometimes I am too critical but for good reason mostly. Maybe the next person to revamp or build a new panel will have learned something.
Cheers,

John
Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #45
Bus Crazy

"Not saying this is the best way, just a different one. Could just be that this is how we've done it my entire career as to why I like it. I'm a bigger fan of individual lace points as oppose to gang lacing."

That is nice looking no doubt but cost prohibitive for school bus production.
I have seen it in industrial apps that were mostly old school control panels, where quality was emphasized over installation time.

And of course the old saying in the trade,

"If you don't know knots, tie lots!"

John
Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

"You're killin' me John..."

I think we are even Rick. Where do you find all those beauties? rofl

John
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
You strip it long enough to wrap around the screw. Twisting the wire also reduces the diameter to allow this. Place the wire so that it is under the screw first then tighten. The screw will shape the wire around itself....
This sounds like a terrible idea.
Quote:
I can understand your desire to get that job done with family to consider and everything, but in bus builds plans are often changed after implementing them. Forethought has a lot to say for itself before tackling any of these tasks.
Quote:
If you are happy that is all that matters. Sometimes I am too critical but for good reason mostly. Maybe the next person to revamp or build a new panel will have learned something.
John, your comments are incredibly condescending, unwelcome, and further comments from you will be ignored.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
"Here is a pic of the fuse box. The metal under the screws is fixed in place..."

If those screws are backed out there should be plenty of room for the wire.
You strip it long enough to wrap around the screw. Twisting the wire also reduces the diameter to allow this. Place the wire so that it is under the screw first then tighten. The screw will shape the wire around itself.
This way whatever you used there as a crimp on connector is eliminated and

if shrink wrapped will not allow moisture to enter and work its way up inside the wire.
When you stripped those wires how did they look? Obviously not a new copper colour. Maybe turning dark black? They are 40 plus years old and likely were never meant to last any longer than a bus company would have that bus in service.

Cheers,

John

Do Not do this. Copper gets hot and cold. The screw will never stay tight. And will deform and want to push the wire out from under the screw. Trust me on this. He is correct with solderless terminals on the screw...
badmaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
"Not saying this is the best way, just a different one. Could just be that this is how we've done it my entire career as to why I like it. I'm a bigger fan of individual lace points as oppose to gang lacing."

That is nice looking no doubt but cost prohibitive for school bus production.
I have seen it in industrial apps that were mostly old school control panels, where quality was emphasized over installation time.

And of course the old saying in the trade,

"If you don't know knots, tie lots!"

John
Well... you may be onto something...
but once you explain to the young feller that slow is smooth and smooth is fast, you'd be amazed at how much wire a fella can lace in a day.
I used to have the cuts and calluses to prove it lol.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
You're killin' me John...

Merman!

"Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty..."
Ha! Love the Zoolander clip.

Also +1 on using wire terminals. If the screws had a floating plate like a 120/220 circuit breaker to sandwich the wire it would be ok to use bare wire. Wrapping stranded wire around a screw does not work well. It squishes out and strands that get caught in the screw break off. The wire is much better protected in a crimped and shrink wrapped connector from the "essence of wetness"

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote