Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #1

Goal zero yeti Lithium power Station

Does anyone have any experience with the Goal Zero lithium power station? (link below). I am trying a way to figure out how to run a medium fridge, lights, induction stove top, computer charger, water pump, on a regular basis and then run a variety of other electronics when i'm using them in my rig. The 3075 wH capacity is very attractive and they claim it can run a fridge for up to 50 hrs. It has a mppt type solar charging module already installed and also has both DC and 2x AC outlets directly on the device. It is pricey but considering the price of buying my own high quality charger controller, inverter and li-ion batteries it really isn't to much difference and it is nice and neat. I was considering a 640 watt or 960 watt Zamp solar array to power. The goal zero also allows for usage while charging too so it's not like I have to wait till the battery is fully charged and unplug to use. I'd love some feedback.

Goal Zero Yeti 3000 Lithium Portable Power Station | | Goal Zero

jrbocasurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I do not. However; I'd suggesting figuring out what your electrical "needs" are and going from there. This is typically called an energy budget. Once you know how much electrical power you need, figuring out how to supply it is pretty simple.

My bus electrical system is similar to what you describe - the design starts here: Electrical System Design - JdFinley.com
... and there are a bunch of links from there. The great thing about these systems is that you can size and tailor them to meet your needs.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
Looks pretty nice. It's pretty expensive for the capacity, but there is something to be said for having a more or less ready made solution. The 1500w output could be an issue though. A single induction burner can use that much power, so you'd have to be really careful about managing your loads. Agree with JD, you really need to come up with a good estimate of your usage to see if this would work for you.
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Great thanks! Yea I have a rough electricity budget I've mostly been keeping track of all the wattage ratings of the devices but have yet to calculate average time I will be using them. I'll take a look at your link
Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

O yea the burner I was looking at is 1800w you are totally right. I forgot about that, what do you think about these batteries? I could always just buy my own mppt charge controller and run a couple of these in parallel,(link below), then get a 3000w inverter and I'd imagine I can run most stuff off of a 3000w inverter. I'm just worried about the total amp-hours my battery bank can store. Ideally I would like to be able to run minimally without sun for 1.5 days. I'm never going to get no sun but just incase I have a heavy load day or something? I don't totally understand how the amp-hour set up works

https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Ion-T...ep+cycle&psc=1
Old 11-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbocasurfer View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Goal Zero lithium power station?
I don't, though I will say I rarely hear bad things about the brand in general. You definitely pay a premium for having everything in a neat and tidy package like that.

You may want to do some more looking before making a final decision. For the sake of discussion, here's a 4.3kw lithium storage unit with various supporting items for $2,280 plus shipping:

24V 180A Lithium Boat Marine RV Solar Battery Bank-Pack Kit

You'd just need to add a sine wave inverter to pull AC out.

The site has a variety of lithium battery packs, chargers, etc. It seems mostly focused toward making electric cars, but the tech is relevant to skoolie builders looking to build power banks, too. They have various inverters, chargers, and batteries in all sorts of configurations. I haven't used them, but the prices seem competitive provided shipping costs work out right.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:08 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I’m not sure about the lith battery setup; but I bought the first version of solar generator they sold(1200 watt). And let me tell you I can’t begin to explain how bad it was. I bought it to take with us on a two month road trip to Canada and struggled with battery issues the whole time. I paid 1600 for it and the sells rep said it would power a medium fridge for 12-24 hours. The whole 2 months we were on the road the thing ran maybe 3 hours before it died. Luckily I was able to get my money back when we got back to San Diego. Lucked out with that one. But it wasn’t a lith battery so maybe they are better now. But I’m sure the price isn’t any better. If you ask me I would say build your own.
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Eldorado National
Chassis: Chevy 3500 Express
Engine: Duramax Diesel
Rated Cap: 10
Goal Zero vs bundle it yourself approach

We started looking at the goal zero today and have some questions which I'm hoping someone can help with. We spoke to a local solar guy last week who mention some used AGM batteries that he had, the price was right but the weight of the batteries and storage rack was around 1000lb. He was also talking about an inverter/charger than came in at about a grand.My concern is that it seems like way more weight than I've seen on any of the skoolie builds so we started looking at alternatives. The new 1400 v2 comes in at around 100lbs with lithium batteries. Are they really that much lighter?

If a person was to build something akin to the goal zero wi th lithium batteries and an inverter/charger etc, how much would they be able save compared the the $2400 CAD everyone seems to want for the goal zero?
scootermcscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

DIY all the way

Still say it’s probably cheaper to just make your own. It’s nothing special it’s just wrapped up in a case that’s about all the difference iof makibing one yourself. And they charge a ton for their products
Lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: DT466E
Make your own, I bought the yeti3000 and regret it...
Cdimples67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

My understanding is that there are problems with the Goal Zero, especially as to charging, and the Inergy Kodiak is much better for a little more money. See Will Prowse's videos on YouTube. Here's his solar playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RF6V_OFFANG9us - Here's his new Tesla battery playlist:
AndiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
Almost There

It depends what you are wanting to power, I don't like my yeti3000 because it cant be chained to another yet so no expansion capabilities, I just bought a 12v Nova Kool fridge because it wouldn't keep up with my apartment size residential fridge with 600watts of panels. Still to be determined if it will keep up with the fridge, but the fridge pulls 30watts when running and the old fridge pulled 160 watts when running.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #13

Engine: Cummins Diesel with only 62,000 miles on it!
If you go with the Goal Zero Yeti versions with AGM batteries (Yeti 1250 is what I have) you can chain as many batteries you’ll need to supply your specific needs. The Lithium versions are currently not available to chain extra batteries. Plus you can replace the internal AGM batteries with any brand that fits in the box. These are so simple to use and I can run 3 days powering goal zero lights, a big domestic dual zone fridge and charge miscellaneous electronics no problem. I don’t use it to cook. I have a Royal propane grill and a campchef oven for cooking indoor and out. Chain as many batteries as you want with the AGM version of the Goal Zero Yeti’s. Plus they have cables built specifically to do that.
JKPinPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:01 AM   #14
Almost There

I wont buy their products anymore and my opinion after using them for 8 months is you can build a way better product yourself
Old 02-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

What about this? Its relatively cheap and lithium
https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Pros-...fsclp_pl_dp_13
decker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
12 volt / 281 amp hour battery
PWM charge controller
1500 watt inverter

For the low low price of $2999.......

I think that you can build your own and end up with a much better product for less money.

That's close to my budget for a 24 volt / 370 amp hour battery, MPPT charge controller(Midnite), 1800 watt (Xantrex) AND 1800 watts of panels.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Can you do this with lithium batteries? Im a little new to the solar world. Currently I have 200W in solar coming in to my skoolie. But from what I can tell, traditional lead-acid batteries require you to maintain them (top them off with water every so often). For me this isnt realistic as I dont use my skoolie enough to justify maintaining batteries. It would be nice to have a solution that I can sort of forget about
decker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by decker1 View Post
Can you do this with lithium batteries? Im a little new to the solar world. Currently I have 200W in solar coming in to my skoolie. But from what I can tell, traditional lead-acid batteries require you to maintain them (top them off with water every so often). For me this isnt realistic as I dont use my skoolie enough to justify maintaining batteries. It would be nice to have a solution that I can sort of forget about
You can go VRLA or AGM to avoid the maintenance.

Maintenance on FLA is not that bad. When not in use disconnect all loads and top off the water every 30-60 days. I have a 5th wheel trailer that sees limited use and I only have to add water every 3 months or so. I have a float charger on it and it has not let me down so far. The batteries in that one are Interstate GC2's that are 3 or 4 years old and still running strong.

Lithium is a fairly complicated and expensive proposition. The most successful ones that I have seen have been assembled by people with pretty solid technical ability and have assembled their own BMS. Way over my head.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Been down this path sort-off. I too prefer to assemble my own system than a preassembled. I bought one of the first portable power units back in 1992 when CC Crane sold a unit inside a ammo box. I hardly used it as my mind went straight to what I could build myself. And it’s battery was small capacity. A fraction of the newer Lithium power density. Here it is 27 years later and I have 4 functioning solar energy systems that are much bigger. Two 24 volt and two 12 volt systems. One 12 volt system is needing a battery and the phantom load identified. I like diy systems because I can change things on them. Modify them. Grow them. And JKPin noted in message 13 switching agm batteries is doable if they fit. Lithium can get very specific.
For myself a humongous steel bus and a small suitcase energy system are like oil and water. Personally I got a bus to carry some serious weight if I want. But if someone gave me a Yeti I’d mess around with it as a auxiliary system.
With the new dc to dc chargers there are more options for linking systems or adding batteries. I have one 15 amp echo charger I want to try on a starting battery.
I’ve seen a RV where they had two of the house batteries here and two there 10 feet away. Predictably they got severely out of balance. Unfortunately where not saved and less than two years old. So there’s a advantage of small and compact suitcase design. A solar technician redesigned the battery placement and battery location on that RV technician designed system.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I will add that on my cargo van I built in a solar energy system and might prefer a portable system like the goal zero or yeti. My system has gotten in the way, collects dust, and not been used as often as I hoped. I have done some jobs running power tools however. if I was to rebuild this system I would put it all in a moveable heavy duty chest with quick disconect plugs.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery bank, charge controller, electrical, lithium battery, power