Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2002
Engine: T444E/Allison 2000
Gonna try this again... NEED HELP WITH SOLAR

Hey Guys!

I need some serious help, wife is pis***! Lol. We have had our solar set up for a few months now and she is ready for power!! I have absolutely no idea what I am doing so I included a picture of our set up. We opted for strictly 110v (we basically only need to charge laptops/phones for power needs.)

I sized MPPT to 40, 2x100w Renogy panels currently, did a 40 MPPT because I plan on adding 2 more panels. Have 2 12v 100ah AGM's, power audit gave us 25.44 TOTAL daily AH. We don't need a lot hence why the system was sized small. I read somewhere on the forum that heavy gauge audio wire was good for connecting but I'm hearing mixed reviews?

Main questions are what inverter should I get to convert the solar (DC?) power to useable (AC) power? What gauge wire should I run from battery bank to breaker box? And finally how do I physically connect the wires into the breaker box?

I know these are pretty basic things but I have no experience in this so any help is really, really appreciated! Plus, happy wife happy life
Attached Thumbnails
solar grid .jpg  

KevinDarcy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have been trying to frame a reply that would be helpful guidance.

I am afraid that I cannot come up with a simple answer to your questions.

The questions that you are asking lead me to believe that your electrical knowledge is somewhat limited.

Improper electrical kills people. I lost two cousins to a fire caused by an incorrectly installed dryer receptacle.

I would strongly suggest that you get someone (Electrician) to give you a hand.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Yes, that title makes people avoid the thread.

Try asking a specific question, without the irrelevant background stuff.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Charging phones and laptops requires no inverter no AC needed, it's all DC anyway.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Almost There

Engine: T444E/Allison 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have been trying to frame a reply that would be helpful guidance.

I am afraid that I cannot come up with a simple answer to your questions.

The questions that you are asking lead me to believe that your electrical knowledge is somewhat limited.

Improper electrical kills people. I lost two cousins to a fire caused by an incorrectly installed dryer receptacle.

I would strongly suggest that you get someone (Electrician) to give you a hand.

Good luck.

PNW Steve... Thanks so much, best piece of advice I have gotten. I'm definitely in over my head on this one, prob better to leave it to a professional

Condolences to your cousins, that's tragic.

Thanks again,

Kevin
KevinDarcy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDarcy11 View Post
PNW Steve... Thanks so much, best piece of advice I have gotten. I'm definitely in over my head on this one, prob better to leave it to a professional

Condolences to your cousins, that's tragic.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Thank you.

Shame that I didn't run into you when I lived in Bullhead.

I have worked with a couple of folks with their electrical and solar. Unfortunately, you are a bit too far away to be practical.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 466e
Rated Cap: its Yuge
There is lots and lots of information on the internet about how to do this along with examples. But I am with Steve, you need to be comfortable with it before you diy.
MambaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
What size inverter you need can be figured out by what you are trying to run, I have a 1000W and plan to run a small 10Cft fridge an 32" LED TV and some laptops and etc.

The min wire gauge for a 1000W inverter is 4awg (3ft), the longer the run and the higher the amps need a larger cable. As for running your inverter to your 120V panel you will need a transfer switch or to do it manual with what they call a death cord, as it will be live when you plugged up to shore power (don't do it that way) for a 1000W inverter feeding your panel I would just cut some good heavy duty ext cords up, and use the ends and or wire as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0360.jpg  
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
The best advice I can offer is to buy an inverter that has a built in transfer switch. I like the brand AIMS. Those inverters have an input for DC voltage from batteries, an input for AC voltage from Shore Power plug, And output for the "house"(or our case bus) plugs and outlets, and are simple to hook up(if you are familiar with electronics). But I do agree, if you have ANY hesitation, seek out a pro. Many RV dealers will do this, or find a licensed electrician locally. Even 12VDC can kill when you start talking about higher amps. A simple short across a battery bank can cause them to explode if not properly fused and protected. You have already spent $$$ on parts, spend a bit more for the security and peace of mind. Ground bonding is a whole nother story which even professionals disagree about depending on the set up. Just my $.02