Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Aerotech
Chassis: E-450
Good news and lift battery question

Well, after all the horror stories I've read regarding re-titling and registration, i was in and out of the DMV in 10 minutes this morning. Could not believe it! No questions asked, no proof of conversion, nothing. New title should be in hand in 6 weeks, but it is licensed and registered as a motor home in Arkansas.

Here's my question: I pulled the lift off this week and realized it has a separate battery bank being fed from starting battery/alternator(?). In order to leave this in place to power some 12 v things- do I need an isolator on that or should there be one already? I'm very new to 12v/conversion electricity, so this is probably ignorant. If I have another proper battery bank, can both banks be charged by the engine while driving. I assume that's 2 isolators needed, but im having a hard time thinking how the energy flow would map out. Thanks!

Foxpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
On my Aerotech (longer version of your Aerolite) the starting batteries ran the lift with no isolater. In normal use the engine would be running when using the lift.

Does yours have the battery tray by the entrance doors and also a battery under the hood? Mine just had two batteries in the tray and nothing under the hood.

The isolater allows the alternator to charge both banks but does not allow the starting bank to be drained along with the house bank.

There are three types of isolaters; relay, solid state and electronic. The relay type makes a connection between the alt. and the house bank when the engine is running and disconnects when it's not running. The solid state version is basically a one way valve for charging current. It allows the house bank to charge but won't let the starting bank to be run down when parked. The electronic version does the same just with a bit more "brains."
Old 07-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
my E350 has a separate lift battery,.. it is charged through a relay that isolates the lift battery from the start battery when the ignition is off.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the isolator info- really helpful. I wasn't sure if the lift was ever meant to run without the engine on. I have one battery tray underneath next to the stairs and one under the hood. So, are you saying with one isolator I could maintain both battery banks?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

And it is the Aerotech, not Aerolite- I'll have to change my profile. Your build has been inspiring Roach!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxpen View Post
Thanks for the isolator info- really helpful. I wasn't sure if the lift was ever meant to run without the engine on. I have one battery tray underneath next to the stairs and one under the hood. So, are you saying with one isolator I could maintain both battery banks?

Yup. The different isolaters isolate the house bank when the engine isn't running. You can download manuals for each type and check out the cabling.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much!!