Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavid View Post
Same size housing.

FORD F150 F250 F350 JEEP CHEROKEE WRANGLER PONTIAC FIREBIRD H4 HEADLIGHT L+R SET | eBay

I was actually looking up Auto Pal brand lights. That's what I have in my Jeep. I bought a set of $25 LED lights for the bus. Plug n play. I've not had a chance to try them out yet.
are those DOT approved? if not, they may just spew light also
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #42
Skoolie

No clue. My Auto Pals are E code (not DOT approved) & are just fine.
BigDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #43
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 3800 7.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the stock bulbs in yours are a sealed-beam, the bulb and housing are one, so when you take it out there wont be a separate part. thus the need for the housings.

here is a quick pic of what my lights look like on the road.. the ones with housing / bulb that i posted.. the beam pattern is friendly it seems to other drivers.

-Christopher
You had to go and post your gauge screen! I want that over the ScanGauge that I just got
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
You had to go and post your gauge screen! I want that over the ScanGauge that I just got
I'll show it to you when im back in St pete if you like.. that particular one is using a silverleaf VMSpc and a little Asus windows tablet.. it runs on my lower end windows tablet also..

right now my bus is in PIECES!! so I wont be back down for a few days till I put the piuzzle back together

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Hella 165mm Free Form Hi-Lo H4 Conversion Headlamp Kit, DOT and ECE. | Rally Lights
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
a silverleaf VMSpc
I just checked this little piece of electronic wizardry out. I must say at $395 it's way less costly than I had imagined... This may be an upcoming purchase for my rig as well... My computer is mounted just behind the drivers chair and I could put this up on the big screen going down the road for ease of viewing...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
After seeing it in person, and after dealing with factory gauges that somehow lived for 15,000+ hours and are iffy at best, I'm gonna HAVE to have one of those myself.
Chris is a real innovative and resourceful guy for sure.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE 9 Window
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 29850
I am thinking one of these two might be the best option without blinding others....

Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ED7HNY..._0jrrCbXTRGNCV

HELLA 003427811 190 x 132mm Series H4 High/Low Beam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72VIK..._ttrrCbHXEJPWB

I think GE sells a version of the first one. The second one has the advantage of being able select the bulb.

Anyone use these?
PeteinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
Something to keep in mind about these new headlights. Yes, they are bright, to the point in blinding oncoming drivers. Most manufacturers tell you to have them reaimed to a degree or to down from specs.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And some seem to be blinding no matter what. There are some that are very blue that should be outlawed as hazards.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:51 PM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteinSF View Post
I am thinking one of these two might be the best option without blinding others....

Truck-Lite (27450C) Headlamp
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ED7HNY..._0jrrCbXTRGNCV

HELLA 003427811 190 x 132mm Series H4 High/Low Beam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72VIK..._ttrrCbHXEJPWB

I think GE sells a version of the first one. The second one has the advantage of being able select the bulb.

Anyone use these?
I am replacing my bus's completely useless DOT sealed-beam headlights with 165mm Hella E-Code conversion lights (the rectangular 4" x 6" ones) - wow, what a difference! There's more light down on the road surface ahead of me, less splashing off to the side and up into the air, and each light has a slight uptick on the right side that's good for illuminating road signs and pedestrians without dazzling approaching drivers. They are so much better than the DOT-approved junk that is still legally required here. One area that Europe is incomparably better than here is their vehicle lighting technology - I simply don't care that my E-Code lights now are technically illegal, because they are so much better for everyone on the road.

I have low/high-beam Hellas, Hella front fog lights (true fog lights, not the pointless little foofoo fashion lights that are seemingly ubiquitous now) with selective-yellow CPI Gold lamps in them, a Hella red rear fog light (standard in Europe for decades; most folk here have never heard of them!), and soon I will replace my rusted-out Neolite high-beam headlights with some 165mm Hellas to match my low-beams. I use relays for my high-beams and front fog lights to ensure they get full voltage, and I've accurately aimed all of them to Daniel Stern's recommendations to be sure that light is going only where it needs and not where it shouldn't. So far, so good.

I'm spoilt by having excellent lights in my car, so there's no way I'm going to accept having crappy lights for my bus.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Quote:
I have the ones referenced above in my DEV bus.. and they are OK, but they SPEW light.. they are tough to nail down to a good pattern and so in the snow they are awful.. no true high and low beam pattern, just a 6 or 15 LED's lit from Low to high beam..

for redbyrd I ordered the following housings..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then the following bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the housings fit perferctly.. the bulbs wanted are a bit deep and I used the flicker boxes included as my bus has DRL's.. (UGH!@!!) .. I got the bulbs installed, the control box fit behind the Bucket, the bulb does bottom out in the bucket before the screws are 100% down, so I used little spacers to tighten them up and no issues.. since the IHC buckets sit into the hood itelf, theres no dust cap to worry about, and even on an all-night drive back from florida the bulbs never over-heated..

this setup has a true high and low beam and I was able to adjust the beam pattern to not blind other drivers and to be effective in fog and snow..

-Christopher
I put a similar bulb into the OEM headlight bezel on the misses SUV and they work like a hot dam

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #53

Your display

Quote:
the stock bulbs in yours are a sealed-beam, the bulb and housing are one, so when you take it out there wont be a separate part. thus the need for the housings.

here is a quick pic of what my lights look like on the road.. the ones with housing / bulb that i posted.. the beam pattern is friendly it seems to other drivers.

-Christopher
What kind of display is that with the speed/oil/etc?
chrislind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislind View Post
What kind of display is that with the speed/oil/etc?
Chris has a Star Wars dash in Red.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

I got these and I love them.
2018 New Osram Chips 110W 5x7 Led... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWBRDJ5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Apud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
kaslight at amazon

do an amazon search for "kaslight led"

they have a variety of replacement headlights with an extention cord or sorts to plug into your preexisting headlight plug,

the same metal ring will secure the bulb, but it has a cord in the rear to plug it in.

you will probably have to find out which car your headlights fit into, then look into the kaslight list to see which one will fit your bus,

I have a 1990 international and it was an older jeep bulb that fit my bus.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
This is what I am considering.Also plating over hi flashers and removing stock turn signals and removing "BLUEBIRD" from the hood
Attached Thumbnails
bus 5 (1)[2].jpg   29-160695-1_l.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #58
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
This is what I am considering.Also plating over hi flashers and removing stock turn signals and removing "BLUEBIRD" from the hood
These headlight assemblys are also D.O.T. approved
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
These headlight assemblys are also D.O.T. approved

It amuses me how the term "DOT Approved" is used so frequently, when most of the time the products have not even been tested by any governmental agency. What is usually a more accurate statement is "Certified by the manufacturer to comply with all applicable DOT standards", usually with something cast/printed on the item itself to signify that. It is assumed the manufacturer has done appropriate testing so as to make that certification.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Yes it is assumed.
A lot of overseas stuff can print what they want on the part and ship it hear with a DOT stamp? But whose DOT? EACH STATE has its own DOT standards that very on some parts from the FEDERAL DOT standards? So is the part just federal approved that your state might accept or is the part just federal approved and your state has an amendment to what you are using in the state you are licensed in?
Sometimes easier than googling the issue? In this instance is to take a picture of your new proposed headlights and go see the shop that is going to be inspecting it every year and ask them if it's acceptable or not?
I guarantee you a super trouper on the road ain't gonna bother you and a local sheriff probably won't unless your being stupid? In a small town a local PD might question the brightness cause he is looking for a noise ordinance or something ticket wise to write but he/she ain't gonna know the difference by looking at them? And if they do have a light gun, DB gun, tint gun on them? Just show them your paperwork for the state you are registered in and say I am passing through and I won't be staying here tonight.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote