Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.9 Cummins (545)
Headlights

Hey guys...Did a search on this topic with no luck

Maybe someone can help me out.

When I first drove my bus home (1996 TC2000 Flat Nose) everything was OK until it got dark out. Man!!! I couldnt see a thing. Headlights worked, but they didnt........

I need to install some great headlights, something that will light up the road in front of me.

Anyone have similar bus that can head me in the right direction? Thanks!

Weldon2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I installed these on my bus - I am not sure if you have the same lights - but it greatly helped.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-H...bus+headlights
Old 05-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
I installed these on my bus - I am not sure if you have the same lights - but it greatly helped.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-H...bus+headlights
Second that......Roger recommended these to me and they work fantastically well.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
One question I have about LED headlights is how good their low beam vertical cutoff is (assuming they even have any cutoff at all). Do those LED lights from Amazon meet legal requirements for beam control (which for US headlights is laughably lax), or do they just spew all their light out in all directions? One simple test of the lights themselves, or of their aiming when installed, is to stand in front of them and drop down to a crouch that puts your eyes at the same height above the road as an approaching car driver's eyes. While crouching down, there should be a clearly defined transition from blindingly bright to comfortably bright at the correct low-beam cutoff point. If they are blindingly bright all the way to road level, they WILL glare and dazzle all oncoming car drivers, including any LEOs who just happen to be approaching you. And if that happens, you deserve whatever ticket you're given.

Daniel Stern has some wise words to say about vehicle headlights - it's well worth an hour or two of time to read what he has to say on his very informative website: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I have been driving with them since October - and I am pretty sure that I passed many Law Enforcement Officers. I have not had any questions or reactions from any cars coming toward my bus.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.9 Cummins (545)
Thank you.....Will be taking a look at you're recommendations today.
Weldon2880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Referring back to my post a few days ago, this morning while driving to work I saw a Jeep with LED headlights very similar to those in the Amazon ad. They were uncomfortably, actually painfully, bright - they dazzled and glared much worse than those idiotic blue headlights so loved by the wannabe-racer crowd. The Jeep's lights had no obvious way to dim them, i.e. they are on high beam all the time they are on. And exactly how would one dim or lower the output pattern of single or multiple LED emitters anyway? LEDs produce only one source of light, unlike dual-filament incandescent lamps, and they do not have a solenoid-actuated shutter in front of the reflector or projector to produce a low beam like my car has (it has the crispest and most accurate low-beam vertical cutoff of any headlights I have ever used or seen). So, the LED headlights that seemingly everyone now is having wetties over are A) obviously illegal, B) deliberately able to blind and dazzle all other oncoming drivers, C) probably useless at actually putting sufficient light far enough down the road to avoid accidents at anything much over urban speeds, and D) likely to be crap quality if they're made in China without needing to comply with any statutory requirements. In other words, they're bloody useless.

PLEASE use proper headlights, if only for the sake of everybody else on the road. Keep the gimmicks and toys for off-road use only. Driving is a social experience, and we all have to be cognizant of and courteous to everyone else on the road.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I get the impression that some people forget they need to aim their headlights after they install them.

My LED lights are great. I posted about them somewhere with photos of before/after...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
I have a dual headlight on my motorcycle.

Both lights have LEDs in them. There are four leds per bulb arranged in a diagonal pattern. On low beam they light the top two using only the upper part of the reflector and on high beam all four light up.

Cut-off is fine, no one ever flashes me.

It can be done, you just have to choose carefully.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #10
Bus Nut

My LEDs only have the top row on when on low beams and then all lights on when high beam. They work very well.

They certainly are not blinding - I have seen some people keeping them on high all the time - but let’s blame the people not the lights [emoji51]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
I have a dual headlight on my motorcycle.

Both lights have LEDs in them. There are four leds per bulb arranged in a diagonal pattern. On low beam they light the top two using only the upper part of the reflector and on high beam all four light up.

Cut-off is fine, no one ever flashes me.

It can be done, you just have to choose carefully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8510.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	22489
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
Almost There

Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
I too have a flat nose bus and the lights are horrible. I think my main problem is that they are out of alignment. If I am able to work out the alignment then I think I want to try out these LEDs.
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
I've installed similar rectangular LEDs on my bus (from ebay) and they are certainly not legal but I don't want to pay $3-400 for legal LED rectangular headlights. I try to be courteous to other drivers on the road and I have aimed them down and to the right as much as I can while still being a big improvement over the old halogens.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Almost There

Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Well if they are not legal, I won't even try to install them. Perhaps there are some upgraded headlights out there that are legal to install.
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Maybe some state have different opinions / laws on the led headlights for buses that I am not aware - though many new cars and trucks are coming out with factory installed LED headlights - but the ones on my bus are not illegal - in fact, they are legal.
You may want to check with your state DOT over taking the opinion of someone of the forum about something legal or illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
Well if they are not legal, I won't even try to install them. Perhaps there are some upgraded headlights out there that are legal to install.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Here are DOT approved LED headlights : https://www.amazon.com/2x-Optix-Head...1Q2BHAVRA5RFP8
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I've been running LED's in my bus headlights for several years and it passes inspection every time.

I did my own conversion - I bought the headlight housing and put LEDs in it. The low beam side aims up which gives a nice crisp cutoff.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I bought the LED headlights and I’m happy!
Chances are your headlights are aimed improperly. Screwdriver and a wall will help you adjust them. I park 15’ from a wall and while it’s dark I adjust the lights- draw a dot where the lights hit and take it on the road, come back and adjust trial and error. LEDs come on sale $45/ea. Onsale
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote