Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Heater electrical

Currently working on a 2006 e450 shorty handicap. I removed the heater to do the floors and simply cut the cords and after I wired them back up and now it’s not working when previously it was. The only thing I could think of was I blew a fuse when all the wires where touching, which I have no clue where that would be located, there’s a fuse panel above the driver seat but nothing is labeled. I took a multimeter and tested the wires to see if any where getting power, I know ones a ground but only one was giving off power out of the four, not sure if it should be two or just one. Any ideas on where/how to find the fuse or did I just do shitty electrical job? Thanks!

Justin4033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
The ground would be a common, not one of those 4. so all other wires should be 12 v. If not then they aren't getting power. Check every fuse. There is a second first box somewhere. The multi meter doesn't lie. Trace those wites at every junction. Check and recheck.
I have rows of fuses. Something blows i check them all.
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin4033 View Post
Currently working on a 2006 e450 shorty handicap. I removed the heater to do the floors and simply cut the cords and after I wired them back up and now it’s not working when previously it was. The only thing I could think of was I blew a fuse when all the wires where touching, which I have no clue where that would be located, there’s a fuse panel above the driver seat but nothing is labeled. I took a multimeter and tested the wires to see if any where getting power, I know ones a ground but only one was giving off power out of the four, not sure if it should be two or just one. Any ideas on where/how to find the fuse or did I just do shitty electrical job? Thanks!
A pic of your wiring connections might help us help you decipher the 4-wire connection?
First thought?
You removed the heater to install flooring but did you or how did you re-attach the heater.
Most 12-24 volt systems use the (heater in this case) frame of the appliance bolted or connected to the bus body/metal for the ground connection. But i have never had a 4-wire unit? to deal with?
Pics would help us help you troubleshoot.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Those wires you cut come from the switch that turns that heater only on.

That is usually powered thru a breaker, not a fuse in most buses. Might be about 25 amps.

The fan is likely three speeds chosen from that switch, low, med, hi. So that is three wires and the forth might be a ground.

Turn the switch onto low and check each wire then for power to a good ground even though the heater might be grounded otherwise.

Are the wires all the same colour or if not, how can you not match colour for colour up?

John
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Those wires you cut come from the switch that turns that heater only on.

That is usually powered thru a breaker, not a fuse in most buses. Might be about 25 amps.

The fan is likely three speeds chosen from that switch, low, med, hi. So that is three wires and the forth might be a ground.

Turn the switch onto low and check each wire then for power to a good ground even though the heater might be grounded otherwise.

Are the wires all the same colour or if not, how can you not match colour for colour up?

John
My heater has only 2 positions, I’m for sure one wire is a ground by looking underneath the bus it’s tapped into the frame, all the cords are color coordinated and the only thing I did was cut the cords when removing the heater nothing else. The only thing I could think of was when the wires where exposed they must have shorted out and blew a fuse. I looked in the overhead compartment for a breaker and found nothing and In the engine bay fuse box. I can post a picture of everything if that helps but really stumped right now exspecially having no way to know what fuse goes to what.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

Will post pictures of everything to help.

Tags
electrical heater wiring