Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 AM   #1
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Posts: 100
Year: 1993
Chassis: MD463
Engine: DT466
How much power do you use?

I am getting ready to buy my solar system and am wondering how much power people use on average per day. I have some pretty high demands as an entrepreneur using two computers that run 24/7, house fridge, sewing machine and lights.

I want to be able to go a 3-5 days with out charging, so i am trying to figure out how big of a battery bank and inverter I need.

Thank you!
yaakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Team
 
JDOnTheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The West
Posts: 960
Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
The answers will be all over the place because everyone and every setup is different. A meter such as this Kill-A-Watt is a very useful tool for measuring your own power consumption. You connect it to each of these devices, run it for a few days, and then you know exactly what it consumes. You can then size your system using empirical data rather than guesses.
__________________
JD - Full timer out west
Missy - 1998 MCI 102-EL3 - 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures & Build
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Posts: 100
Year: 1993
Chassis: MD463
Engine: DT466
I need a minimum of 4800 Watts daily, I was just curious what other people use.
yaakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,554
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Yaakbus,

Have you calculated the battery bank that you are going to need to support 4.8kwh daily with a 3-5 reserve?

For a mobile application that is huge!

4800watts * 5 days = 24,0000 watts of usable battery bank. For any kind of reasonable battery life you want to avoid discharging beyond 50% DOD. So..... You will need a battery with 48,000 watts of battery capacity.

So.... A 48 volt / 1000 Amp hour battery bank would work. Now size the solar array that you need to support that.... Keep in mind that you want a C/8-C/12 charge rate. You will need roughly 83 amps available to charge with.

To provide 83 amps at 48 volts you will need, in a perfect world, 2000 watts of solar. Realistically closer to 2500watts minimum.


Perhaps you may be well served by looking at ways to reduce your power needs and reconsider your 3-5 day autonomy.

What you have described would be a reasonable system expectation for a fixed installation but being mobile we have to compromise.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,863
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
The answers will be all over the place because everyone and every setup is different. A meter such as this Kill-A-Watt is a very useful tool for measuring your own power consumption. You connect it to each of these devices, run it for a few days, and then you know exactly what it consumes. You can then size your system using empirical data rather than guesses.
Just got a Kill-A-Watt yesterday and plugged my kitchen fridge in it. I just checked and after 24.5 hours it has used 1.09kwh. How does that equate to need on the system.
I'll plug my laptop in and see what it uses. there's something wrong with the Mac, it has an 80% charge on the battery and must be plugged into the charger or it dischages and doesn't recharge, so I have to have it on the cord all the time..
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 4,554
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I guess that I didn't give a direct answer to your question.

I use about 1.8 kwh daily.

I have a residential refrigerator that runs from the battery bank but I start the generator in the morning to run the coffee maker and hair dryer.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Posts: 100
Year: 1993
Chassis: MD463
Engine: DT466
Yeah I have calculated it all out. The average home uses between 13-30kwh per day and was just curious as to what peoples average use in their bus was. It was more just a question about how much power people used, rather then how to calculate a system. That part is easy.
yaakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Posts: 100
Year: 1993
Chassis: MD463
Engine: DT466
If you have a kwH and you fridge is using more than that, your system is too small. As far as I have been able to learn through this is, most people use less then 3kwH per day so 600ah battery bank is plenty.

You need to have twice the amount of storage then you have discharge for a healthy system. So you at a minimum need a 2000 watt inverter for a computer and fridge (it that is all you use it for) and 400ah of battery so you dont discharge past the 50% recommendation.

Beyond that, I would say your mac has an issue with the Battery if its not charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Just got a Kill-A-Watt yesterday and plugged my kitchen fridge in it. I just checked and after 24.5 hours it has used 1.09kwh. How does that equate to need on the system.
I'll plug my laptop in and see what it uses. there's something wrong with the Mac, it has an 80% charge on the battery and must be plugged into the charger or it dischages and doesn't recharge, so I have to have it on the cord all the time..
yaakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Posts: 100
Year: 1993
Chassis: MD463
Engine: DT466
Awesome, that is good info to know. Do you have a 2000 watt inverter? 400ah battery bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I guess that I didn't give a direct answer to your question.

I use about 1.8 kwh daily.

I have a residential refrigerator that runs from the battery bank but I start the generator in the morning to run the coffee maker and hair dryer.
yaakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,863
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaakbus View Post
If you have a kwH and you fridge is using more than that, your system is too small. As far as I have been able to learn through this is, most people use less then 3kwH per day so 600ah battery bank is plenty.

You need to have twice the amount of storage then you have discharge for a healthy system. So you at a minimum need a 2000 watt inverter for a computer and fridge (it that is all you use it for) and 400ah of battery so you dont discharge past the 50% recommendation.

Beyond that, I would say your mac has an issue with the Battery if its not charging.
It's not a battery issue. Battery, charge port, charger and screen are all brand new.My brother, the computer expert, says it's an intermittent problem on the logic board.

My inverter is a 3000/6000 pure sine. I'm trying to make the system with the most power output with the least amount of batteries so I don't end up with $4k worth of batteries. Looks like my home uses 40kwh a day on average.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical, power, solar system

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.