Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
freezing up.. that *CAN* mean it has a refrigerant( freon) leak in it , also surprised it doesnt have an anti-icing thermostat. the coil that gets icdey is the evaporator... there will be a tiny little pipe going into the devaporator, and then a larger one comes out and goes to the compressor.. sometimes theres a wire "probe" stuck into the fins of the evaporator that would be an anti-freeze thermostat.. if that probe gets pulled out of the coil it could mean the unit might freeze after it runs a long time.. if the freeze is happening in a short time and during that time the airflow starts out nice and strong but slowly reduces then it sounds like the possibility of a freon leak.. (low freon can cause them to freeze)..

if you never have strong airflow even when you first turn it on, then I would like others siggested and look for clogged vents, packing materials in the fan or dirt on the coils..

dirty evaporator coils can also cause freezing up.

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:27 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

when working on the roof ac units, you frequently need to get line tap valves... is best to have them in your ac tool box with the gauge set, fin tool, epoxy and so forth. Then one can easily recharge the system when low...appliance repair places normally have these valves which are made of aluminum with a rubber seal.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: myself
Chassis: amtran
Engine: international dt466e allison md 3060
Rated Cap: 13 ton or so says the tit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
freezing up.. that *CAN* mean it has a refrigerant( freon) leak in it , also surprised it doesnt have an anti-icing thermostat. the coil that gets icdey is the evaporator... there will be a tiny little pipe going into the devaporator, and then a larger one comes out and goes to the compressor.. sometimes theres a wire "probe" stuck into the fins of the evaporator that would be an anti-freeze thermostat.. if that probe gets pulled out of the coil it could mean the unit might freeze after it runs a long time.. if the freeze is happening in a short time and during that time the airflow starts out nice and strong but slowly reduces then it sounds like the possibility of a freon leak.. (low freon can cause them to freeze)..

if you never have strong airflow even when you first turn it on, then I would like others siggested and look for clogged vents, packing materials in the fan or dirt on the coils..

dirty evaporator coils can also cause freezing up.

-Christopher
This is what is freezing up. I found the anti freezing thermometer. (Second picture) and its getting good air flow

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Dead pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
Bus Nut

It runs cold for a few minutes then ices and just blows warmish air. I turn it to high fan and the ice melts and I can then after a few minutes turn it back to high cool. Repeat

Old 06-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Sorry? Haven't been following?
Is that a brand new unit?
Low on freon! That is the accumulator.
Not going to go into the details but you either need the proper gauges and tools and knowledge to do it which are expensive or call someone with the proper stuff to check and adjust the charge and regardless of new or used its low on freon or clogged up just past that
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #26
Bus Nut

So it turns out that When i cut the hole in the roof Ididnt cut the bottom side big enough. I took it apart and cut it larger and now i get plenty of air. No freezing and it cools the bus very well. Live and learn i guess.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
rockin!!! that you got it fixerd... lack of airflow will defimnitely casuse issues.. still surprised the anti-ice thermostat never tripped off the compressor... once that coil started to get so cold it shouldve shut it down.. but nonethless at least you now have an A/C instead of an Ice machine!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

If freezing turn your unit to high fan and let it blow for about three minutes. the fan volume will increase and when the air blows room temperature turn it back to cool. do not turn your thermostat past half in the cold blue range and it should be fine.
kaisersersae is offline   Reply With Quote