Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Year: 2013
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450
Rated Cap: 8
Question I need to install electrical, and I know nothing lol

I recently bought a shuttle bus to turn into a mobile home. I have it mostly the way I want it now, the only exception being the electrical system.

Currently the battery, being a battery meant for a running bus, can run for only about an hour with basic things like lights on before it gets too low to start the bus. I would love to either install a separate electrical system that uses a rechargeable battery that can plug in or use solar power, or upgrade the existing battery to do that instead.

So far every technician I have called has been unable to help me, so I thought I would just do it myself. Only problem is I don't know the first thing about bus batteries, or how to install a solar panel. So I'm here to either learn how to do it myself or where to find a professional to do it for me.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Cost is of no consequence.

Thank you!

Henry Towberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Henry,

Where are you located? If you fill out your profile folks it makes it easier for us to give relavent answers.

To get started with your electrical education I would suggest that you take a look at https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com as well as reading through the build threads and electrical section Electrical, Charging and Solar - School Bus Conversion Resources

That should help you get a better handle on what you want /need.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

You shouldn't be using the same battery for the engine/running lights/vehicle stuff as you are using for amenities like heat and light inside while you're parked. Don't think about just buying the bus a beefier battery; that just delays the problem without solving it.

Lots and lots of info here about what kind of batteries, how many, charge from motor/alternator/solar/house current, etc. Read up and welcome to the circus!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

I can't figure out how to update that information in my profile, but I am located in Northern Virginia, but am happy to drive anywhere in the country to get what I need.

Dan Fox sounds right when he says it should have his own system instead of using the engine battery, I have gotten better at navigating the site and thanks to Steve's post I have a lot more information about designing and installing an electrical system.

Thank you for the pointers guys!

My final question is does anyone know someone who can do this stuff for me who already knows their way around it?

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
how far are you from wytheville?
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:23 AM   #6

I'm about five hours away from Wytheville, VA. I can make a weekend trip down there though without problems. What are you offering?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Bus Nut

free labor and my knowledge of solar and electric systems. 30 years of being a contractor and 20 years of solar. my home receives no electric from the grid and neither will my bus.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

I'm about an hour away in Annapolis, but he's smarter. Go with him if you can. I'm an educated DIYer.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Towberman View Post
I recently bought a shuttle bus to turn into a mobile home. I have it mostly the way I want it now, the only exception being the electrical system.

Currently the battery, being a battery meant for a running bus, can run for only about an hour with basic things like lights on before it gets too low to start the bus. I would love to either install a separate electrical system that uses a rechargeable battery that can plug in or use solar power, or upgrade the existing battery to do that instead.

So far every technician I have called has been unable to help me, so I thought I would just do it myself. Only problem is I don't know the first thing about bus batteries, or how to install a solar panel. So I'm here to either learn how to do it myself or where to find a professional to do it for me.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Cost is of no consequence.

Thank you!
Near Houston, TX?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins ISB
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
free labor and my knowledge of solar and electric systems. 30 years of being a contractor and 20 years of solar. my home receives no electric from the grid and neither will my bus.
Free labour?! I'd fly you across the country with an offer like that!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
Can I attend your seminar also? I'm only about two hours away, and would love to see an electric/solar install in person before I start planning my own.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #12
Bus Nut

ya we can all meet up at his place. i got him looking local for panels to save the shipping cost.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #13

That would work well for me!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Engine: Detroit 6-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome Henry,

Where are you located? If you fill out your profile folks it makes it easier for us to give relavent answers.

To get started with your electrical education I would suggest that you take a look at https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com as well as reading through the build threads and electrical section Electrical, Charging and Solar - School Bus Conversion Resources

That should help you get a better handle on what you want /need.
Does anyone know how to get a hold of handy bob, I just read his whole blog and I think this can help us a lot when we start our conversion project hopefully by the summer. We absolutely have no idea idea on electrical but have the ability to do everything else plumbing, construction wise. I am an IT professional with networking backgrounds so I can understand electrical a little bit and have wired things around the house and added new circuits etc.
Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
have wired things around the house and added new circuits etc.
Keep digging through threads on Skoolie.net, youtube videos, and other Skoolie or Vandwelling blogs. I have about the same experience level that you do, and I've managed to install electrical throughout the bus. Batteries, Inverter/Charger, AC/DC Distribution Panel, AC Outlets and Lights.

Haven't done the solar yet, but I'm fairly confident I can tackle that as well.

Once you wrap your head around the project it should click.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
I live in New Jersey and I will appreciate anybody willing to help.
Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

What we need here is a series of skoolie weekends around the country where we do more than just meet up, eat, and drink beer. Tin Can Tourists are a good template; they have regional meetups where all kinds of hour long chalk talks are given on various topics.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Does anyone know how to get a hold of handy bob, I just read his whole blog and I think this can help us a lot when we start our conversion project hopefully by the summer. We absolutely have no idea idea on electrical but have the ability to do everything else plumbing, construction wise. I am an IT professional with networking backgrounds so I can understand electrical a little bit and have wired things around the house and added new circuits etc.
Handy Bob wants to be left alone. From what he told me he's reluctant to allow strangers on his property anymore. I can get you in touch if you are planning to pay him for consulting but I'd bet it's not cheap. Realistically, all the info you need is on his website and on various threads here at Skoolie.
warewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
What we need here is a series of skoolie weekends around the country where we do more than just meet up, eat, and drink beer. Tin Can Tourists are a good template; they have regional meetups where all kinds of hour long chalk talks are given on various topics.
Great idea.

Knowledge, food and beer.

I am happy to host.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote