Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 05:08 PM   #81
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTram 3800
Engine: DT 466E
Rated Cap: 35 foot
I think they are 2007 I have been looking for batteries but not too sure which option to go with. $$ is a factor of course.

I did clean the terminals and connections but didn't think about corrosion inside the actual cable. When reconnecting the batteries there was no sounds or sparks at all. I did think this was unusual.

I have included a downloaded picture of my starter. Hope this will help for the explanation. I am currently at work and cannot take an actual picture.

I have found a block of relays under the dash down by the clutch pedal. Tracing wires today I know for sure I found the Crank Inhibit Relay. I haven't identified the other 3 and I do believe there might be more there as well.

I am glad that this did happen at home but on the other hand, this isn't exactly how I expected Skoolie Ownership Week One to go.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
John
Attached Thumbnails
starter pic.jpg  

BusLife4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Good luck with your problem. Just wondering if you had a toothache would you pull your own tooth? People messing with this system without a clue have a difficult and expensive fix if a pro has to do the repair. This is the main problem owners here make for themselves. I ask "WHY!"?
The buzzers etc hurt nothing, draw little load, leave things be.

John
I did something silly when i approached the Vandalock on my Bluebird.

This is going to sound nuts....

I called Bluebird and talked to the service guy who told me exactly how to disable the interlocks.

What was I thinking?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #83
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
PNW Steve: "What was I thinking?" Getting it right? At low cost.

Great choice in asking for advice first!
Pretty easy to proceed error free when you have a general direction.
Without a drawing and the ability to read one, one can muck up their bus pretty dang fast.

Not sure if the OP's problem is related yet to vandal lock or not.

John
Old 10-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #84
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
PNW Steve: "What was I thinking?" Getting it right? At low cost.

Great choice in asking for advice first!
Pretty easy to proceed error free when you have a general direction.
Without a drawing and the ability to read one, one can muck up their bus pretty dang fast.

Not sure if the OP's problem is related yet to vandal lock or not.

John
A gent on another board described action before thought as a firing squad that went:

Ready, Fire, Aim.....
Old 10-05-2019, 07:18 AM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I did something silly when i approached the Vandalock on my Bluebird.

This is going to sound nuts....

I called Bluebird and talked to the service guy who told me exactly how to disable the interlocks.

What was I thinking?
Are Vandalocks notoriously easy to pick or something? My bus was broken into twice because I foolishly relied on the Vandalock to keep people out, but I was surprised that the passenger door was just open after each time with no damage having been done to anything. Or do they just come unlocked if somebody pulls on the door really hard?
Old 10-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Are Vandalocks notoriously easy to pick or something? My bus was broken into twice because I foolishly relied on the Vandalock to keep people out, but I was surprised that the passenger door was just open after each time with no damage having been done to anything. Or do they just come unlocked if somebody pulls on the door really hard?
They are not intended as physical locks, they are electrical circuits to prevent starting.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They are not intended as physical locks, they are electrical circuits to prevent starting.
Yep....

It is more to alert the driver in the event someone opens an emergency exit from the inside.

Why do they call it "Vandalock"? I don't have a clue.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #88
Mini-Skoolie

There is light at the end of the tunnel...

Ok, so I have replaced the batteries with 2 new group 31s. Cleaned all the ground locations. Tried 3 different starter relays. Bypassed the clutch pedal switch. Tracing wires all over is a good way to learn what does what so that's a good thing. I now have a fairly good understanding of the electrical system. It rained last night and I found a few leaks that need attention. So all in all there is progress being made.

I tried to jump to starter solenoid after installing the new batteries. This time it didn't spin at all but it tried to engage with loud clunk. This prompted me to pull the starter completely out. It was very hard to get to while it was installed. I wanted to bench test it. Removed the starter and tested it with a pair of jumper cables. Nothing. Hit the solenoid a few times and it finally engaged and spun. Needless to say I'll be taking the starter to a local shop tomorrow morning and having it rebuilt.

All in all it has been a good weekend. Haven't gotten to the point where we would like to be with this but we are getting close. By the end of all this there won't be anything else to worry about in the electrical system except for the alternator. More good news.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure and post an update after the starter is rebuilt and re-installed.

John
Attached Thumbnails
20191006_110825.jpg   20191006_115257.jpg   20191006_123205.jpg  
Old 10-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #89
Mini-Skoolie

Houston.. we have lift off!

Brought the starter to a local guy and he checked over, replaced the solenoid, and got it working again. I went ahead and replaced the smaller ground wires from the solenoid to the starter and the one from the starter to the engine block. We finally got to take the seat carcasses to the scrap yard today. I'm glad I can move onto the build part of this process. Thanks again for all the input, suggestions, and advice.

John