Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

In Search of Power System Diagrams

I'm interested to know how many of you would be willing to provide details of your power systems (particularly solar, but interested in shore, generator, alternator-charged and multi-source systems) to include:

- List of components (including manufacturers and model numbers)
- Wiring specifics (wire gauges, wire types, connection types, etc)
- Location of all components (including wire routing information)
- Diagram of the above
- Pictures
- List of appliances that are powered by your system (including manufacturers and model number)
- Any issues that you have with your particular system configuration

This is to enable the first of many research projects concerning different systems that I want to configure in my future skoolie build.

This is my first thread on this forum...just looking to begin a conversation.

Thanks!!!

climercj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by climercj View Post
I'm interested to know how many of you would be willing to provide details of your power systems (particularly solar, but interested in shore, generator, alternator-charged and multi-source systems) to include:

- Diagram of the above
- Pictures
- List of appliances that are powered by your system (including manufacturers and model number)

This is to enable the first of many research projects concerning different systems that I want to configure in my future skoolie build.

Thanks!!!
Welcome to the forum.
Bus mfg. Is different than other vehicles in that each coach is a unique build. A certain number of x type of bus on" a " type chassis with "b" list of equipment with "c" powertrain. It's not like Alldata with component location. If its new enough, the manufacturers have websites with some info. Some of the used sellers have info too. Older busses you might try the local school bus yards. I'm still hunting for my 92 bluebird but did get some assistance from them. Good hunting!
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your reply golfersmurf! I may not have been clear in my original message. I’m not as concerned with OEM wiring, but instead systems installed during conversion to power lighting and appliances. I’m mulling over the options, requirements, costs, etc.

I’m also interested in diagramming these systems for anyone willing to give me the details and review my work. I know it’s a big ask. It seems to be extremely hard to find this type of information so i’m willing to put the time in for diagramming and confirmation with skoolie owners.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I haven't drawn a diagram for some time and a lot has changed. Here's kind of a list.

Shore power in 50A
Surge protector Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C

Breaker panel. Similar to this one. https://www.ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSI...0-PD55K100.htm
Xantrex Freedon SW 3000 Only about half of my AC comes from this. Microwave, regular household refrigerator, one of the computers but, not the printers. One of the induction cooktops. My heat is a bit weird and needs 21VDC so that converter also comes from the inverter. Both mini-split AC units are also powered from the inverter.

https://www.ltdrvparts.com/PROGRESSI...0-PD55K100.htm
with this controller System Control Panel

Victron battery minder https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-700 with the usb dongle https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...h-smart-dongle

There are 3 desktop computers and two printers, one is a laser printer. Two induction cooktops and the fridge. There are also two mini-split AC units.

I have a Champion 3000W inverter generator for when I need power and can't use shore power. It isn't wired in I have to run the shore power cord to it when I use it.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
How about you doing some research and telling us what you know for certain.
Others put the time and work into this same thing and that is how you learn what you require.
Spoon feeding is not the way to go on this, try some original thought based on research.
If I sound to be blunt, I am.

John
Old 08-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you somewhereinusa!! I'll take your info and diagram your system out as best I can! I'll touch base with you to confirm accuracy. If you are up for some back and forth to clarify, we'll get a final draft and I'll send it to you to utilize as you wish!!

I feel like you guys are the experts (or you at least have a proof of concept that works for you)! I'm super excited to build my skoolie on the foundations y'all have laid!!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Sure. Inverter gets its power from breaker panel. Inverter has its own breakers for the circuits it powers. I'll try to supply more info but, I'm super busy right now trying to get some last minute stuff done before I leave for a couple of weeks. Also have to mow about 10 acres before I leave.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome!! And absolutely no rush. I'm hoping to perform similar studies on plumbing systems, heating/cooling, and basic layout. In all cases, I plan to create some deliverable that I can give back to the contributor of the info. I'm looking forward to creating partnerships with anyone on here who is willing!!

I assume your "leaving" is a trip in your skoolie! Where are y'all headed?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:

- Diagram of the above
- Pictures

Thanks!!!
I do not normally recommend any of the FB forums, but the skoolie nation one has a recent thread on "helpful diagrams." I thought I took a screen shot of one but I can't find it right now.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for your advice and recommendation 2martins. I'll check out skoolie nation! Have a great day!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks for your reply golfersmurf! I may not have been clear in my original message. I’m not as concerned with OEM wiring, but instead systems installed during conversion to power lighting and appliances. I’m mulling over the options, requirements, costs, etc.

I’m also interested in diagramming these systems for anyone willing to give me the details and review my work. I know it’s a big ask. It seems to be extremely hard to find this type of information so i’m willing to put the time in for diagramming and confirmation with skoolie owners.
Yeah I saw that as an afterpost sorry I'm still.on remove the floors.
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I assume your "leaving" is a trip in your skoolie! Where are y'all headed?
Headed out to a couple of bus rallies, one in Minnesota and one in Michigan, have to drop mumsywumsy off at home between them. Apparently she doesn't like sitting around listening to all the bus guy telling lies to each other.

I'll dig out the drawing I did of my hydronic heat system.My 12 volt system is kind of complicated. There isn't just one main drawing, but a lot of smaller system ones.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

golfersmurf, no prob!! Good luck with those floors!! When you get around to systems, I’ll diagram stuff out for you if you’d like! I’ll give you some examples soon
Old 08-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
lol.... skoolie nation

last i heard from theresa, she was checking with guiness book of records to see if she had the largest rv solar battery setup.

just lol

there is a fb group called something like - skoolie solar and electrical. lots of good guys in there. maybe even a double e or 2

idk but some interweb skoolie groups like more drama than others.

check out the bus "transcendence". he is an amazon influencer and has his setup linked to amazon so you can buy it.

most big inverter companies have basic diagrams on their websites.

there are whole sections of this website and others devoted to RV electrical. google is your friend.

you could copy someone else's setup, but their needs are probably different than yours.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
lol.... skoolie nation

last i heard from theresa, she was checking with guiness book of records to see if she had the largest rv solar battery setup.

just lol
Be careful not to say anything negative to Theresa or any of her moderaters! Be careful not to appear at all conservative...

I’m not on Facebook skoolie groups for a reason....
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
I'm interested to know how many of you would be willing to provide details of your power systems...
Sure, lots details in these posts...
Electrical System Design - JdFinley.com
Solar Charging System for Missy - JdFinley.com
24 Volt Battery?? - JdFinley.com
Lithium Battery (LFMP) for Missy - JdFinley.com
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
Be careful not to say anything negative to Theresa or any of her moderaters! Be careful not to appear at all conservative...

I’m not on Facebook skoolie groups for a reason....
Could FB itself be a good reason for not being on FB?
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Electrical System

Try a Google search of "rv electrical system". I will come up with dozens of diagrams. You can click on them for details. Hope that helps you.

Bob
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
you could copy someone else's setup, but their needs are probably different than yours.
And that's precisely why we here don't just buy some miserable crappy POS RV. We all have different needs, different abilities, different philosophies, different budgets, so obviously there won't ever be a one-size-fits-all solution to anything we do. If there's one hundred bus conversions there will be one hundred different solutions, each one probably making complete sense to the owner. (I hope they make sense to the owner!)

Read, read, read, and read some more. All the information you need is out there, somewhere. You're probably not going to be reinventing the wheel, but just tweaking it slightly for your own needs. The Northern Arizona Wind & Sun forum is a good resource for solar matters, and HandyBob has some things to say about solar that make sense, sort of.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Here's my 120V wiring as it currently stands.

Tags
diagram, generator, power, propane, solar