Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Nice job! Where did you source the hatches? They set off the soon to be covered aluminum for sure.

Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
Nice job! Where did you source the hatches? They set off the soon to be covered aluminum for sure.

Online. I can’t remember specifically. They are Lewmar size 70 ocean hatches.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:13 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Thank you for that! Joe
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Love this I had an idea similar but I want to have panels on the top as well to get as much sun as I can get, thank for posting pictures , now I can see my idea isn’t crazy
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 05:28 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
Love this I had an idea similar but I want to have panels on the top as well to get as much sun as I can get, thank for posting pictures , now I can see my idea isn’t crazy

We see a lot of people put their panels on their deck but then why pay for a deck? You can mount panels right to the roof. It’s not doubling your livable space if it’s just covered up.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

The way I’m thinking I’d still have a deck as well as my panels it’s just going to be some added extra weight up top and then possibly an awning up top, was even looking at tent panels to put on the sides so even in bad weather you could enjoy the deck
CapN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapN View Post
The way I’m thinking I’d still have a deck as well as my panels it’s just going to be some added extra weight up top and then possibly an awning up top, was even looking at tent panels to put on the sides so even in bad weather you could enjoy the deck

We still need to figure out our awning situation.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
Almost There

Very nice. Only issue I see is the galvy slides sandwiched in-between the aluminum rails of of the panels and the rack and being through mounted to the steel of the bus.
Those connections should be electrically isolated as you will have a pretty severe galvanic reaction going on considering the nobility of three dissimilar metals. You can purchase or make nylon or delrin isolation washers for that. I can see over time those slides freezing up and corrosion between the bus and the frame.

Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Whoa! Excellent point! I, too, failed to consider the galvantic potential after being inspired by this set-up to change my framing plans from steel to Al.
Thank you.
I wonder if a sacrificial slug, as in marine application, mightn't alleviate the corrosion condition... [emoji848]
Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Having your panels able to tilt and face the sun should not be an afterthought; it should be the single most important aspect of their mounts. If you have your panels flat, you're throwing away a considerable amount of potential solar harvest. That makes no sense to me if you've invested a lot in the panels and charge controllers etc., as I have. This explains it better than I can: Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels

When my panels are stowed for travel they are all at 21 degrees below horizontal, hinged off the central walkway between my two roof hatches. When parked, ideally facing due east or due west for maximum insolation, the panels on the sunny side of the walkway remain at 21 degrees down, but the opposite side's panels can be raised to 21, 33 or 45 degrees up, depending on season and latitude. It's not quite as good as having all the panels tilt to their ideal angle, but that's almost impossible to achieve on a typical bus roof without it becoming an overly-complex Rube Goldbergian contraption that would probably be more trouble than it's worth. Having half my panels tilt ideally and the other half slightly less than ideally is a good practical compromise that won't affect solar harvest much, and with just over 2kW of panels if I lose a few watts of power who cares?! One other reason I designed my array the way it is was to also allow a useful amount of power generation while driving, when all the panels are stowed 21 degrees down. This way I can still run a minisplit inside while driving, or have a planned second radiator's four electric fans and coolant pump powered from the solar and house batteries. (If it's so hot that I need its additional engine cooling, there's probably also enough sunlight to keep the house batteries charged while driving.)

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhutwarrior View Post
Very nice. Only issue I see is the galvy slides sandwiched in-between the aluminum rails of of the panels and the rack and being through mounted to the steel of the bus.
Those connections should be electrically isolated as you will have a pretty severe galvanic reaction going on considering the nobility of three dissimilar metals. You can purchase or make nylon or delrin isolation washers for that. I can see over time those slides freezing up and corrosion between the bus and the frame.

I don’t think this will be an issue. It’s not metal on metal. There’s several coats of paint and then sealer between the bus roof and the decking. The bolts have sealer too and we paid a professional welder to build and install this. They do this kind of thing for a living and I’m sure for the price we paid they did a good job.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Unless the steel bolts, attached to the steel panels, are completely isolated from contact with the Al framework, he raises a valid concern, IMHO.
All it'd take is one bad grommet or gasket...
Old 07-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Keep in mind galvanic corrosion needs a 3rd element of an electrolyte to bath the 2 metals in before GC can take place. It's not as big an issue as people put it up to be.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Keep in mind galvanic corrosion needs a 3rd element of an electrolyte to bath the 2 metals in before GC can take place. It's not as big an issue as people put it up to be.

What sort of electrolyte?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
What sort of electrolyte?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte
Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: International
Rated Cap: 7 Window 20 Passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
.................. ................
Beautiful job but for me that would be more than the bus is worth. I really like the Solar setup, I'm afraid I have to pay as I go as this is a hobby & an addition to our sound company, we use it for both camping & for doing out door events like the Blue Angel Air Show this weekend on Pensacola Beach. I plan on a deck on half of the top with raise up hand rails & pop up tent the other half will be Solar. But you have a fantastic deck, enjoy...
MrBoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
there was a fella that posted here about his deck and solar set up - the panels laid flat on the deck while traveling, and folded up to do double duty as a hand rail when parked - I would imagine it wouldn't take much to set it up so the panels would angle when the deck isn't being used - looked like a practical idea to me, and simple to construct and use
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
there was a fella that posted here about his deck and solar set up - the panels laid flat on the deck while traveling, and folded up to do double duty as a hand rail when parked - I would imagine it wouldn't take much to set it up so the panels would angle when the deck isn't being used - looked like a practical idea to me, and simple to construct and use
But not useful solar collection while they are under the deck. Every cool idea has a downside.

Mt Boogie, You might want to check with your insurance company before putting up a deck, insurance companies are frowning on them and may not cover you.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:09 AM   #39
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Whoa! Excellent point! I, too, failed to consider the galvantic potential after being inspired by this set-up to change my framing plans from steel to Al.
Thank you.
I wonder if a sacrificial slug, as in marine application, mightn't alleviate the corrosion condition... [emoji848]

Sacrificial anodes only work in water. Best bet is isolation washers and dielectric grease. Best practice is to use nylok nuts when using them.
Last time I needed iso washers I found a good deal on amazon and as much as I hate Bezo's its the easiest place to get them.
Mudhutwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
One question I have and for which I’ve never gotten an answer is, who is insuring you? Everyone in the insurance industry when asked what is not allowed on a conversion rattles off the same stuff which includes rooftop decks.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote