Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Internet Service Provider

To all full-timers and boondokers,
What Internet Service can you recommend for full-timers? A connection that can handle Netflix on the go. Thanks a lot.

willvalenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Streaming video over cellular has some pitfalls. VERY data intensive.

You may want to look at T-Mobile. They have plan(s) that allow unlimited Netflix IF you run their special app that reduces bandwidth usage (and screen resolution).

Take a look at: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-...QICU68OAX10047
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I'm crossing Wyoming right now and I have Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, and Verizon services... and the only data service I've had thus far is right now as I"m stopped at a Starbucks.

If you're on the road, you're going to have dead zones, and sometimes they will be an entire state. Make sure whatever capability you build includes a wifi client!
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by willvalenton View Post
To all full-timers and boondokers,
What Internet Service can you recommend for full-timers? A connection that can handle Netflix on the go.
I've been living and working full-time from my RV in the west (all states along the continental divide) for the last four+ years with Verizon cellular data. I have no recent personal experience with any other provider in this area but continue to see others struggling.

If you plan to get get off the beaten path (in the west), you will need an amplifier, external antenna, and ability to get that antenna up in the air (like this and this). These cannot perform magic but continue to impress me. There is a more modern crop of amplifiers available now.

I have no info on the streaming question as I don't do that. When I do have wifi (at a campground or ??), I still don't stream as that just destroys the bandwidth for everyone else.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have verizon ATT and T-mobile.. Verizon lets me watch NFL for free (yes!!), ATT doesnt charge me data when I use my Direct-TVnow (NOT Satellite) streaming service, and T-mobile I think has netflix free now... sprint - never worked enought for me to get it.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Has anyone ever looked into satellite dish?
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
Has anyone ever looked into satellite dish?
I've looked into it but just too expensive for me to consider. Do some searching yourself but what I've found says hardware will cost about $6k-$8k and then $300-$400/month. That is VERY cursory information but enough to stop me from any further research. If you can get over the hardware/startup cost, I would be interesting to know how well it works in this environment.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

My friend has a dish antenna on his house that he uses for tv. He paid a few hundred dollars to get set up and then $99 a month for tv and internet
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Having a satellite dish on a non-moving house is one thing, but needing to re-aim it every time you park your bus would not work for me! I've heard that even slight movement of the vehicle when parked can be enough to lose signal. Does anyone here use satellite service for a bus or RV?

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I had Dish network for my Freightliner, but that was only when I was parked for the night. I understand that those in motion dishes work well for TV. Do not know how well they work for ISP.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I had Dish network for my Freightliner, but that was only when I was parked for the night. I understand that those in motion dishes work well for TV. Do not know how well they work for ISP.
Unless things have changed radically since I looked last year there is not a good satellite solution for broadband while in motion.

The aiming of the dish for broadband Internet requires much more precision than does the TV dish.

I installed an auto aiming dish, for Internet, in a class A and it is not a solution I am crazy about. Expensive and a PITA to use.

In general, satellite Internet is not as fast and costs much more than terrestrial solutions.

You may want to take a look at Google Fi as well. Probably the best coverage of any carrier or re-seller.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Project Fi user here. It's a great service but data gets expensive fast. If you need data for Facebook and skoolie.net reading, it's fine. If you plan to watch a lot of YouTube or Netflix, not so great! $10 per gig, that's a cheap phone bill if you only use 1 gig.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Project Fi user here. It's a great service but data gets expensive fast. If you need data for Facebook and skoolie.net reading, it's fine. If you plan to watch a lot of YouTube or Netflix, not so great! $10 per gig, that's a cheap phone bill if you only use 1 gig.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
my problem is to get coverage on cellular everywhere i go I have to carry a whole bag of hotspots.. my current arsenal is VZW / AT&T / T-mobile.. all the Latest devices with the most channels... PITA to know which ones work where....

a friend of mine has hughes-net at his house.. his dish is in a bucket.. we put it in the bus and took off with it one day... we parked in a total dead-cell zone.. and spent about 30 minutes getting the dish set up and it worked decent.. bulky thing to carry around... it did work BUT PITA..
-Christopher
Old 09-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
I have a hotspot from FreedomPop. I believe they are using Sprint (yuck), but the price is reasonable for what you get ($4/mo for 500Meg). I think they are going to add TMobile to the mix as well, but I don't know as I haven't kept up with them.

If you go with FreedomPop, please let me know. If we "connect" via their "social media" we get extra data allowance during the month (50Meg/mo/connection up to some limit). You can also "ask" and "give" data allowance amongst your connections.
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Rated Cap: 20 person
Look up Technomadia on Youtube. They are full timers who lived in a bus and techies and have done several videos on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TalesFromTechnomadia
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

My house is in the boonies. I have AT&T. They have a home phone competitor that runs on their cell network. Home phone + 250G/month 4G for $60. I upgraded to 500G/month for $100. I plan to take it with me when my skoolie is done.
SilverSchooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Has anyone had any luck with HughesNet Gen5?

- 25 mbps down
- 5mbps up
- $675 hardware
- $90/month

Pretty expensive, and I know it has got to be a PITA to set up each time. But if it is reliable anywhere and everywhere, 25 is much better than I has seen for that guarantee.

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.c...oppinglist.php
dspizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspizzle View Post
Has anyone had any luck with HughesNet Gen5?

- 25 mbps down
- 5mbps up
- $675 hardware
- $90/month

Pretty expensive, and I know it has got to be a PITA to set up each time. But if it is reliable anywhere and everywhere, 25 is much better than I has seen for that guarantee.

Shopping List For Your HughesNet Mobile Satellite Internet System - Mobile Internet Satellite
No thoughts on this?
Old 05-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #19
Bus Geek

my thoughts on satellite are the only way id consider it is if I was boondocking where cell service isnt available.. sat has gotten a lot better in general over the past few years, but so many cell providers are offering reasonable unlimited plans now and increasing coverage areas that to me if cell coverage is available I'd look at that instead.

-Christopher
Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
my thoughts on satellite are the only way id consider it is if I was boondocking where cell service isnt available.. sat has gotten a lot better in general over the past few years, but so many cell providers are offering reasonable unlimited plans now and increasing coverage areas that to me if cell coverage is available I'd look at that instead.

-Christopher
Yea. It's definately something that I may add later depending on what our lifestyle is on the road. Was just wondering if anyone had experience and if the coverage of sat internet is actually reliable.