Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I'm in a 30-year-old RV that is pretty much all original with its 30-amp service plugged in through the correct adapter to a dedicated junction box. Unless I open the junction box (not comfortable doing that myself as I have zero experience with AC current), there's really no way for me to access any of the feed wiring. My old man can wire up something if need be, but I need something weatherproof without breaking the bank, because the junction box and the cord feeding the RV are out in the weather.

Open the junction box, it won't bite yet.

Take a look at the joints made in there.

Should be safe to just slowly bring the black wire out a bit, enough for clamping the ammeter over the black only.
Take your reading.
That will be what you seem to be after, total load, yes?

Not sure of your intentions but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the 30 amp service isn't tripping and branch circuits aren't either, you are in good shape I'd say. No need for individual circuit testing but that can be done in the same way inside the panel on each ire coming off each breaker.

You have to start somewhere to get used to working on live circuits. Remove the cover on the panel and you will see it can be easily done as far as ammeter testing goes. Anything else requires more diligence with no distractions.

John

Old 07-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
KWH meter

The AC power monitor modules are fairly cheap on ebay less than $30. The real cost would be the connectors for the pass through cable which are not really required. I am in the process of converting a transit bus and intend to build the module into the bus side of the ac power distribution system. The current is sensed by running the power input hot wire through a current sensing doughnut. The voltage sense will require direct wiring but all wiring will be small flexible wire because the module passes basically no current.

Of course you could purchase the connectors and other parts and fab up an inline hour meter.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
You could easily make a pigtail with this passthrough meter and measure you rigs consumption. https://www.ekmmetering.com/products...ough-kwh-meter
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
^
That would do the trick! Nifty l'il gizmodo.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I just got one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Current-...WuG25cfXyaX38Q

This one has a split core transformer, you don't have to unhook any wires.

Works well. You do have to separate the wires, you can't just clamp it over a 120 VAC extension cord. I like it because it gives amps, watts and watt hours all at once. I hate that some things give watts and some give amps. This gives me all info at once, makes it easier to figure loads. Since I have 50 amp service I'm going to use two one on each leg. I have to do some experimenting with transformer lead length, they are pretty short.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I just got one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Current-...WuG25cfXyaX38Q

This one has a split core transformer, you don't have to unhook any wires.

Works well. You do have to separate the wires, you can't just clamp it over a 120 VAC extension cord. I like it because it gives amps, watts and watt hours all at once. I hate that some things give watts and some give amps. This gives me all info at once, makes it easier to figure loads. Since I have 50 amp service I'm going to use two one on each leg. I have to do some experimenting with transformer lead length, they are pretty short.
Kewl! I think that I need one of those.

Thank you for sharing that.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I tested with 7 foot leads, I can't really detect any discernible difference. It agrees with my kil a watt, although kil a watt has one less decimal point.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Open the junction box, it won't bite yet.

You have to start somewhere to get used to working on live circuits. Remove the cover on the panel and you will see it can be easily done as far as ammeter testing goes. Anything else requires more diligence with no distractions.

John
I do not concur with your advice. Opening that unknown J box with power on can bite you. You have no idea what is in there. Has a wire nut fallen off and ready to arc to ground? Has a wire been chafing ready to ground out? Are you wearing protective eyewear in case something blows up and blows molten copper at you? Are you wearing gloves? Are you wearing nomex or cotton and not nylon? Did you take off your watch and other jewelry? Due diligence is always required when working with electricity, energised or not, even if you are experienced.Finally, there is not one single critical load in that RV that cannot be shut down, amprobe installed, and the circuit reenergised. Just my 2 cents and surviving 33 years in the IBEW.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Want one cheap? MAKE IT.

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-80-300V-.../dp/B01MRZAFAF

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-He.../dp/B00FBA1WCE

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-El.../dp/B06XSQZ5M6
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
I do not concur with your advice. Opening that unknown J box with power on can bite you. You have no idea what is in there. Has a wire nut fallen off and ready to arc to ground? Has a wire been chafing ready to ground out? Are you wearing protective eyewear in case something blows up and blows molten copper at you? Are you wearing gloves? Are you wearing nomex or cotton and not nylon? Did you take off your watch and other jewelry? Due diligence is always required when working with electricity, energised or not, even if you are experienced.Finally, there is not one single critical load in that RV that cannot be shut down, amprobe installed, and the circuit reenergised. Just my 2 cents and surviving 33 years in the IBEW.

As I recall the OP just wanted an idea of the load being drawn. No issues at all, that is why I said remove the cover but omitted very gently.
You make some good points though, no jewelery, rings, chains, bracelets, wire rimmed eyewear etc
Sure he could turn the power off, not sure if he has an amprobe or not, not likely But easy enough to set it up and then turn it back on, agreed there.
And yes chit happens where shorts happen due to wiring faults, faulty breakers, switches etc. When I turn something on or off like a main switch or breaker, I use my left hand and look away, just in case.

Very much appreciate your critique, sometimes my meanings doesn't always come through in my wording. Safety is no joke in this game and I am surprised that we don't hear about more incidents with people doing their own electrical work. I don't like that these projects aren't up for inspection but that time may come sooner than later.

I do hope nothing happened to the Cheeseman, haven't seen or heard from him since this post of his was made. Cheesey come in!
Over and out...

Another IBEW survivor, 3rd generation 1968 -2010

John
Old 07-22-2019, 12:33 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Hey Brother
Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
Hey Brother

High 5's bro!, Was in Local 894 that got swallowed up by International and jurisdiction handed over to LU 353.

Had instant retirement with onset of vision loss in about 8 hour time frame so life changed a LOT in a hurry.

John
Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Pulled the plug last August lost 60 lbs and do not think have ever felt so relaxed and focused. I like doing nothing and everything all at the same time.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
High 5's bro!, Was in Local 894 that got swallowed up by International and jurisdiction handed over to LU 353.

Had instant retirement with onset of vision loss in about 8 hour time frame so life changed a LOT in a hurry.

John
LU 11 Los Angeles. Hope your vision is stabilised or correctable Had cataract surgery a few years ago, worked in my case.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Local 602 a loooong time ago.....

I miss Texas.......
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote