Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Re: Lets talk AC again

I got my bus local to me.... I am in Dallas Tx area, it is HOT here. As my bus was local it is equipped with 2 AC units for use while driving. I got that covered, the front unit (which is smaller) is 35K BTU, so I estimate my capacity at 70K BTU while the engine is running. I assure you it cools down the interior very quickly and keeps it cool. The driver's seat is in front of the AC vents and as such is a bit warm...working on ducting a bit of air down from the front unit. My biggest concern is my dogs need AC when I am not in the bus with them, at least they do from late March through early November. I plan on using my bus as a large dog crate while I attend markets and shows at which I will be a vendor. This means several unattended hours, so I need a bullet-proof plan for environmental control so I don't roast my dogs. I cannot even imagine trying to run a bus with no AC in Texas in the summer. I was raised in Miami, Fl and as a teen we didn't have AC in our cars. To be honest we never cared. Now at almost 40 there ain't no way in any universe I would even attempt to drive a car with no AC. Maybe the world is hotter, maybe I am just less tolerant but either way I can't take it. I don't know how expensive or difficult they are to get, but the Trans/air units in my bus are worth every penny I paid for the bus!

Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Reading all this makes me glad I just got a roof air unit I know it's not efficient, but install sure was easy!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

We plan on installing a generator before we move to east TX. I wan a hefty one. I think we will end up with a 5k - 7k gas contractor generator and do a trifuel converstion kit on it so we csn run it on LP. We'll be carrying five bbq tank under the bus. To power the 13.5k btu rooftop ac unit on the class c, it took a 2.5k onan. And then it bogged down and could not run the air, refrigerstor and freezer all at the same time. So the closer to 7k we can get, the better.

We also stay parked most of thr time. Even when we move to TX, we will be looking for a lot to buy snd park the bus on to save on site rent and be able to work on the bus. NM sun is rough on dark coloured paint, so that needs a bit of sanding and touch up.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Reading all this has made me move to not doing a thing. Way too much effort and money for what you get in return.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Reading all this has made me move to not doing a thing. Way too much effort and money for what you get in return.
Well then, you are welcome for the savings in both time and money. Please enjoy a cold adult beverage in celebration!
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Opus....I think its a lot easier to handle with where your living. Not that I don't think it will never get hot up there in Montana but here in my neck of the woods (Dallas/Fort Worth)....Satan starts to preheat the over say late May and in full swing by June and doesn't let up till close to October in some cases. This week we are getting abnormal weather.....65 at night and upper 80s during the day but again last week we have 106 with about 50% humidity.

I am sure you guys make fun of us for the cold down here since it doesn't get super cold here that much so all is fair in love and war.

I think there are a lot of good ideas on here. Keep them coming.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Today was 105.4 with 7%...ugh.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I wouldn't think that would be super common for you? That high pressure is jacking you guys up. Hang in there....hydrate
Old 07-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Meh, once a year usually. I'm a singer, hydrate is my middle name.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Great, continue on. You can be the test rabbit for now. Thank you. ;)
Harumph. That's all I have to say! Maybe I'll drag my feet in hopes that some other kind soul will surface with a tale of what was tried and didn't work out so well, or maybe actually did work, and save me some trouble with the experimentation.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Alright, I've been out and done an experiment for you today Opus.

Temperature 'round here was 90 F with 30% humidity yesterday. My workshop/shed has a window A/C unit installed through the wall for days like that.. It's a Kenmore unit of unknown age and is tagged 8,000 BTU. Through the louvers on the outside I can read the label on the compressor; it's marked LRA 48. Translation: LRA means "locked rotor amps." Basically that's a measure of the current needed to get the compressor motor started; once it's running the current draw drops dramatically.

I fired up the EU2000 genny and let it warm for a minute or so and turned off the Eco throttle mode. Plugged in the A/C and crossed my fingers. It starts, but by the sound of it, there's not much margin left over! I don't know whether it would support anything else at the same time (like a refrigerator or serious battery charger for example!). I let it run from 10 am to 1:30 pm and it did alright, though I do feel slightly badly about socking this generator with a heavy load like that. Maybe there's hope for running that combination in the bus while underway. The next test will be how much of the bus it'll be able to cool -- in other words, whether a divider hung somewhere near the front reduces the heat load enough that this A/C can keep it under control.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #32
Bus Crazy

Well cool [excuse pun]! I wonder what the "difference" would be if it were a 10-12,000 BTU unit. Could you go buy one along with a bigger generator and let me know how it goes, please? ;)
Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #33
Bus Nut

You may want to buy... get... borrow a clamp on amp meter Or a multimeter that has a clamp on option. This will show you the amp draw of what its using at various times of operation. Some of the higher end models will have a the highest value able to be recalled. I have a fieldpiece model that I use for HVAC work in the field. I know most wont need it once your set up electrically but in the HVAC world a good multimeter is one of the most used devices for troubleshooting.

Most compressors will have all the technical data that you will need to know about amp draw to see if your generator will be able to power it.

I can tell I need to get the onan mounted up and make a video of this so others may be able to see how to make sure you do not overload a leg of your generator. I can only assume that the Honda EU will only have one output leg on it.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Speaking of Onan, I have one I need to sell. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Why you selling it if I can ask. Any issues? It seems they are either very good or very bad?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

No, its excellent, not a thing wrong with it. Been de-carboned, new fuel pump, muffler, 4kw. I have a military genset to go too. I have nowhere to mount a generator on my bus without a lot of work. What little we use one for we have a Champion 3500 we throw on the ground.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Makes sense. Hope it works out. I know Im going to have to work up on mine to get it in... well the way I want it to....will be with some work but I have all the metal tools to do that. Plasma cutter..mig welder....etc
Old 07-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #38
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapos
Makes sense. Hope it works out. I know Im going to have to work up on mine to get it in... well the way I want it to....will be with some work but I have all the metal tools to do that. Plasma cutter..mig welder....etc
If you ever need an extra set of hands, I'm in Irving and could probably be convinced to help a fellow skoolie!!
Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #39
Bus Crazy

I have access to whatever tools I dont have. By the time I mounted it, and built a box for it, added a battery tray and a gas tank, cut a hole in the side panel of the bus, build a door....I'm tired already.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #40
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Well cool [excuse pun]! I wonder what the "difference" would be if it were a 10-12,000 BTU unit. Could you go buy one along with a bigger generator and let me know how it goes, please? ;)
Actually... I do have a 14,700 BTU window shaker here in the house. I've been wondering what it could do for the bus; the problem is how to power it going down the road. The EU2000 didn't even try to start this monster -- it just lit up the overload lamp and said "forget about it!"

I do have a larger generator on hand too: it's an 8kW running/12kW peak set and surely will handle the 14,700 A/C. But that thing is NOISY! I just couldn't live with myself (and no fellow camper could either) if I ran that thing for any length of time. Doubt that it'd be much more bearable while rumbling down the road. Unfortunately liquid-cooled gensets seem to be out of my price range as are the 3-6kW inverter types. Sooo, I've been pondering what might be done to dampen, absorb, and otherwise reduce the ruckus made by this genset I've already got. Stay tuned for some experiments on that front.

In the mean time.. I need to get a divider wall built in my bus so I can evaluate whether 8,000 BTU is going to at least cool the front 15ft well enough for this summer's trip! We have another 99 F day scheduled for this coming Wednesday; hopefully I can get out that afternoon to test a few things.