Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Re: Lets talk AC again

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
actually in the day time you can see out very,very good...in not so much
at night it's the opposite
I do believe you.. but.. with my luck, the highway patrol trooper would say something like "Is that so? Well, go ahead and explain it to the judge!"

Hvbuzz, thanks for your mention of your setup. What do you use to power that A/C while traveling? A generator, obviously, but what kind and with what housing etc to keep the noise down?

family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

I bought a yahama 2800inverter W/boost. Love it and hate it. Hasn't worked how I had hoped it to. Might check out the last two pages of my thread. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6481&start=105 It powers everything I need, and is really fuel efficient and super quiet. However, I've tried a couple different ways to mount it to the bus and it refuses to run while running down the road. The only place it runs going down the road is on my car trailer. This last trip was a family trip, and not a "jeeping" trip. So I had no intention of draging the jeep along, but I had to drag the empty trailer, just so we could have AC in the bus. Just found out from a couple other members some of its other problems as well. Before I bought it I was contemplating between it and a Honda. But I really don't think the honda 3000eu would be enough for all the start up loads, where as the yamaha can do it for its size. So.... as much as I hate the thought of it, I think I'm going to try and find a used onan big enough to run the AC for going down the road. Then use the yamaha after we are there.
Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Family wagon,
I read earlier you had a 2000eu. Are you able to parallel that one with another? That might be ideal for you since you already have one!?!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #64
Bus Nut

*Snaps fingers* Well, it was a thought.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Hvbuzz, thanks for the insights on your Yamaha. It's interesting; I've tried running my EU2000 on a hitch carrier as well. The engine never died (sounds like that was the problem you experienced) but I did have trouble running a little A/C. Looking back, it's probably because the refrigerator was running and there wasn't enough capacity left over to start the A/C compressor. I hadn't even considered that road vibration would affect the carburetor -- the thing vibrates so much as it is!

Paralleling is an option for mine and is one of the main reasons I picked the EU2000. My bus has an Espar diesel boiler and I may configure that with a heat exchanger for heating hot water, which would leave cooking as the only consumer of propane. I'm thinking about going to electric cooking in order to lose the propane (don't want to carry and store 3 fuels), but the problem I'm facing now is how to run an electric range off a generator: parallel EU2000 would have enough power, but it's going to be at 120 volts. A step-up transformer looks to be $400+. 240 volt output doesn't show up on inverter generators until about $3500 price level -- too much. Maybe, like you, I'll have to do two generators so that I can have one large for running A/C and cooking, and one small for everything else.

Back on the A/C.. Since my bus is completely empty it looks a lot like a moving truck. I've been asked to help a friend move some stuff tomorrow, and that involves about 5 hours of driving.. Tonight I'm going to get a couple sheets of OSB and build a wall to hold that window A/C where I hung the tarp curtain in my earlier test, and I'll strap the EU2000 to a hitch carrier again, and we'll see how that A/C and genny do during tomorrow's trip. It couldn't keep up with the scorcher of a day we had two days ago, but even then I suppose it's still better than the alternative and anyway it isn't normally that hot (so the benefit would be even better).
Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Mel
*Snaps fingers* Well, it was a thought.
I thought it was alright. An exterior roller shade, essentially. But at a very affordable price.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #67
Bus Geek

yes it would work as a shade....at night there might some voyeurism involved tho'
just saying!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Sorry to those from turning this from a AC talks to generator talks. I'm thinking it goes somewhat hand in hand though.

Family wagon, sorry I really don't know how to quote old posts, I think you are going to stumble onto the problems I have been having, and not sure how to fix. On my generator, the engine never dies as its going down the road. Like what you just said the overload comes on and kicks out the electic. But I for one know that I havn't overloaded the genny. Because it will run everything just fine, while not in motion. I'm just going to make a guess and say yours might do the samething tomorrow even with just the ac running. My advice is take some small elec load with you(like a small fan). If the genny won't power the AC, see if it will run just the fan, as you are going down the road. This is only my opinion on what I think is happening. These inverter type gennys are suppose to only put out clean power wave. So I'm thinking when they are getting bounced around, they can only put out what is clean power, and that's not the advertised rating. Unlike an onan or cheaper gennys that will put out whatever voltage and they don't care. I think I have found the smooth spot on my car trailer to where it is just right for the genny to keep running. On our 1400mi trip with no vehicle on my trailer and only the genny, it only kicked out once. After hitting a very good size crack in the road that I think might have had a small VW in the bottom of it. Or... it may all just be my generator sucks, and it was the worst money I've spent to date on the bus. Either way, I want to hear the out come of your moving trip.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #69
Bus Nut

Quote:
yes it would work as a shade....at night there might some voyeurism involved tho'
just saying!
Voyeurism~!

*Dances like a lunatic*

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Once upon a time, on an rv forum that I do not remember, there was an rver who had the same problem eith their generator. It was not an rv unit but I think it was one of those Honda ones. It would run while not moving. But stalled out while traveling down the road. I think it was decided that the fuel was sloshing and the pickup was picking up air. I think they tested the theory by using a full auxillary gas tank like used for boats. The cheap plastic ones you can buy from Walmart.

But I may be wrong.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #71
Bus Nut

I tried that too. Added a external pump and boat tank and had same results. Not to say I did it right either though....
Old 07-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #72
Bus Geek

The needle seat for the fuel (that is valve for filling fuel bowl) can bounce on its seat,which can lead to over filling the fuel bowl,at that time it will go out the vent orifice and flood out engine.

Best bet would be a propane kit...just like on an old carb'd truck
Old 07-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
... Best bet would be a propane kit...just like on an old carb'd truck
That is what we will be doing. While some stationary generators are used driving down the road, we feel a tri-fuel kit fron us carb on a cheap HF Predator generator will suit our occasional needs. My pricing is showing I can buy a 7K running watts gas generator plus the kit to create a 7K running watts lp generator for right at $1K. I could buy the same generator with the same kit already installed for $1,500. But we can drive a long ways on $500 worth of diesel!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Yup, that's my plan as well. I have an old 5k onan that I plan to convert to propane.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I think by going to propane you will suffer performance, economy and fuel costs. Curious to hear how it turns out.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #76
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

I have a LP powered 7k onan that I am going to be installing in mine. Once I get to that point. Since mine is gas powered I may consider doing maybe a dual fuel but I will make that decision later. I have read that when you take a gas unit to propane its performance does fall some. I know from HVAC class that propane has less btu count that gas does this is more than likely the reason for fall in performance.

The Onan needed a new demand regulator. I purchased one from this company... http://propane-generators.com/ very good experience. They were very helpful. So for those who are thinking about converting.... I would look there. Prices seemed reasonable to me?

Thought I would share this with those. I know this has gotten off topic of AC but they seem to run hand and hand cause you need power to cool things down.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #77
Bus Nut

This really makes me wonder why there isn't a gas powered AC? That would make the world a better place.....lol
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #78
Bus Nut

It really is alot of money and work just to have AC in the bus. For me alot of frustration too. Lorna, Bapos, I had not seen those lp conversions before. I've spent most of the afternoon reading up on them. I told myself I wasn't going to spend any more money on that generator. Now I'm scratching my head thinking to myself, that just might work. Then I think, that just might not work. Now I have a headache Any other brands out there? I read one lengthy thread on an airstream forum from about 4 years ago not liking us carbs service etc, etc. I'm really close to trying it tho.... Just don't want to waste another $2-300 if it doesn't fix my problem.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #79
Bus Geek

In the world of 4wheeling (10 years ago or so) you had 2 options to allow you to go at crazy angles and bouncing 1 was fuel injection....the other was propane.

FI was $$ or you settled for a tbi unit which could wrk but mostly ran rich

Performance was lost at first because of the btu issue...however 120+ octane propane ment that a built 11or 12:1 engine was now doable and you could make up power loss cheap(sb chevy)

Now a days dang near all jy engins for swaps ls(which ever number) is FI.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #80
Bus Geek

You need to do your own research to see if this will fit your needs. I believe that it will fit ours as I have researched the pro's and cons of the various fuel systems.

1. We will rarely use a generator.
2. We have had problems in the past with a gummed up carb on a gas Onan (lousy Onans).
3. We are willing and able to carry extra LP with us.
4. Converting one ourselves will save us a hefty chunk of change.

So with that in mind, here is my response, for what it's worth...

The way I understand it, by going with a no drill conversion kit, the running watts output will stay the same. I'm not sure how but I was exchanging PMs with a guy who had converted a total of 4 gas generators to tri-fuel. He loves the set up. Measured output on all and claims to have not lost any power with the conversion. Also claims to have gotten better mileage out of a 20 lb tank than what the naysayers claim you get. From all the info of folks who have done this, you can change oil less frequently. Unlike RV generators, contractor gennys do not have oil filters, they just use a magnet in the oil.

So following his example... I need Kit C ($187), a Gas generator with electric start (on sale $600) and and this and misc bolts and gas lines. NOT INCLUDING THE IRON PIPE FOR GAS. We have to run the iron pipe back there anyway. We figure on carrying up to 5 or 6 20lb LP tanks under the bus. The generator will also need a small (better) muffler added for our sanity. I have read that gold wing motor cycle mufflers (motorcycle muffler for a 4 stroke 100 to 200cc bike) will work nicely on a contractor generator. Makes them very quiet. We also have to remove the gas tank and cut down the frame in order for it to mount under the bus. We will see if we can add some baffling that will absorb some of the enigine noise without restricting the air flow as this type of generator need lots of air flow around it. Most of the noise is attributed to the engine not the exhaust. I'm hoping we can install a permanent mount genuri to suck the exhaust up above the bus since we will be using the generator mostly in parking lots, truck stops, rest areas or on a wide shoulder of the road if necessary (been there, done that, wish we had been better set up for it).

The Predator generators are under the name of Century. They sell already converted tri-fuel generators.

Just one of the many "conversations" I've had on this subject. (so many were in PMs)
Quote:
http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?s...=3#entry565485
I called both Central Marine Diesel and US Carburetion today and priced out 2 Yamaha 2000 with shipping, 2 low pressure hoses, and cable for RV. First I bought my Honda kit from US Carburetion and was impressed then with their support. Today, Central Marine support was not as effective on questions I asked between both vendors. There was a $174 difference between both with US Carburetion being the most expensive. However they also sell their units with the optional Tach and hour meter as standard so that is most of the difference.

I did run a test in South Texas when I had my Honda 2000. I had made a 5 gal gas tank for it. I ran a run down test using first 5 gal gas and then a BBQ propane tank with 4.7 gal of propane. I was using our Casita and keeping it cool with the A/C. I got just under 3 days with both and the propane was just under and hour less total run time than the gas. Now I could not control all the variables but I was quite pleased as all the reports say propane is not as efficient. That seems to be what I saw also but not by enough to be an issue for me.
You may want to back up and read the whole thread on potable generators. Keep in mind, this is from the Escapees forum, the place where they advocate and encourage damaging a generator simply because it is too loud for them under the guise of "just joking". But if you read the replies, they are not joking. Fair warning! Should I EVER end up having my personal property damaged deliberately, I advocate getting their tag number (so I can post it all over the internet), taking photos of the multiple flat tires that "Karma" visited upon them for their destructive deed and posting it on the internet with a warning to others who may park near them. I also plan on having a sign that reads "WARNING! KEEP YOUR DISTANCE! LOUD NOISY CONTRACTOR GENERATOR ON BOARD & I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT." Going to make it into a couple of bumper stickers and put it on both bumpers. Or make big, really big... stick it in the front windshield to use as a privacy curtain.

Don't park next to us in a parking lot.
On edit: another that shows the genny we plan on buying and how loud it is. I keeps seeing that the engine is a Honda clone. Made from the same casting forms. That means they most likely put a dirt cheap muffler on the unit which is why it's so loud.