Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Bus Nut

#lifegoals: This 26.8kwh Battery Pack

https://youtu.be/13lEgsScOoY

I want to emulate what this guy did, but only with 3.6kwh instead (I have the same batteries as him). What do you guys think of his setup? He mentioned some issues using threaded rod and washers like that, but it seems to work just fine.

How about his balancers/charge controllers? If you had these batteries, would you do anything different?

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Link doesn't work for me
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Bus Nut

How about this?

Old 04-26-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

My fault I was at work, apparently my work has that blocked

Seems like a ton of money, if I had a huge budget I'd love to have a crazy amount of juice to run ac and everything
Old 04-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
It looks super sketchy!

Undersized power bus, lots of mechanical things to vibrate apart. Those batteries are basically foil pouches with the copper terminals on them right? Why are they not getting thicker copper terminal tabs riveted to the terminals with copper rivets, so they can be fastened with bolts and nuts?

I've seen a couple times now these pouches clamped with washers.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm building a 24kW battery from a nissan leaf pack. I'll de-rate a bit, between ~4.1 and 4.05 volts per cell to get it to last longer.

Also, get better spec professional BMS, there are several out there such as elithion, orion, battrium, rec-bms, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
https://youtu.be/13lEgsScOoY

I want to emulate what this guy did, but only with 3.6kwh instead (I have the same batteries as him). What do you guys think of his setup? He mentioned some issues using threaded rod and washers like that, but it seems to work just fine.

How about his balancers/charge controllers? If you had these batteries, would you do anything different?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 AM   #6
Bus Nut

What does a leaf pack run? If you don't mind.

I hear mixed reviews, leaf seems to lose capacity faster than most, but Nissan has a replacement program. Think taking it apart may void that��

Did check out your build its awesome!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Doing anything to a leaf pack except installing one in a nissan leaf car will void the warranty.

There are variants of the leaf batteries. Pre-2013 batteries died fast due to heat dissapation issues. Post-2013 batteries have a different style of shell so they have more capacity to dump their thermal load.

The BMS on the leaf keeps the packs pretty healthy for a long time - find a wrecked leaf with low mileage as opposed to one that has been swapped out.

If you de-rate the battery maximum capacity, say, charging only to 3.95 - 4.05 volts per cell instead of 4.15 or even 4.2 (the absolute maximum unsafe edge) you can extend the life of lithium batteries several times over.

In any case, a custom battery will void any warranty nissan might have on their units for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthefak View Post
What does a leaf pack run? If you don't mind.

I hear mixed reviews, leaf seems to lose capacity faster than most, but Nissan has a replacement program. Think taking it apart may void that��

Did check out your build its awesome!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
It looks super sketchy!

Undersized power bus, lots of mechanical things to vibrate apart. Those batteries are basically foil pouches with the copper terminals on them right? Why are they not getting thicker copper terminal tabs riveted to the terminals with copper rivets, so they can be fastened with bolts and nuts?

I've seen a couple times now these pouches clamped with washers.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm building a 24kW battery from a nissan leaf pack. I'll de-rate a bit, between ~4.1 and 4.05 volts per cell to get it to last longer.

Also, get better spec professional BMS, there are several out there such as elithion, orion, battrium, rec-bms, etc.
Can you post a picture or a link to what copper terminal tabs with rivets look like? I'm having a hard to picturing that.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Here's an example, but instead of rivets it's nuts and bolts for the fastener.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lithium-pou...JaGHNt&vxp=mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
Can you post a picture or a link to what copper terminal tabs with rivets look like? I'm having a hard to picturing that.

Tags
battery balancer, battery pack size, lifepo4