Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Lithium Ion Batteries

What can you knowledgeable on LI batteries tell me about these, pros, cons? It would seem a 300ah battery for $500 is not a bad deal.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5dc8Za2QZa2QTi

I have a message in to the seller, but I believe you can order one at a time.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What can you knowledgeable on LI batteries tell me about these, pros, cons? It would seem a 300ah battery for $500 is not a bad deal.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...5dc8Za2QZa2QTi

I have a message in to the seller, but I believe you can order one at a time.
Shipping is probably what will kill you. After I followed one of your links to Alibaba the other day I messaged a seller about some AGM batteries that had a very appealing price...

"1.For 12V 200ah lead acid battery , the FOB price is US$210/unit ;

2.If you need 1 sample , we will send you sample by air , the freight cost is US$850 ;

3.If you buy 10pcs , we can send you batteries by sea, The shipping cost is US$285"
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
Shipping is probably what will kill you. After I followed one of your links to Alibaba the other day I messaged a seller about some AGM batteries that had a very appealing price...

"1.For 12V 200ah lead acid battery , the FOB price is US$210/unit ;

2.If you need 1 sample , we will send you sample by air , the freight cost is US$850 ;

3.If you buy 10pcs , we can send you batteries by sea, The shipping cost is US$285"
That sucks that there's no free samples from China, a sample is paid for at full price and then priority shipping is added to get your sample quickly. On a side note, I sent a rare vintage motorcycle part to China to have some made for about a tenth of what it would cost here. Last trace showed it left Miami never to be seen again. I should have sent one that I had made here instead of the rare part, but wanted them to have the exact specs. Live and learn.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek

They got back to me quick. I asked for shipped pricing on 2-300ah batteries that they show in the listing. They sent me back pricing for the 100ah ($36 and the 200ah ($74. I replied asking if that price included shipping and got a reply that said shipping on 2-200ah batteries would be $438. Works out to about $960ea. I'm sure I can find a better deal closer. I was interested in the 300ah units.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Does that price include a BMS?

Any idea how they handle warranty or tech support?

I admire folks that are savvy enough to make their own DIY lithium battery setups successfully. I am not quite that adventurous.

Trojan FLA's for me....

I am very interested in how it plays out for you. I have looked at various items on Alibaba but never ordered from there. I have made small purchases on EBay that came from China and had good luck.

Keep us updated.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I looked at the item on Alibaba. Do I understand that the 300ah 12v battery is $500?

That would work out to $1285 for two including shipping.

Hmmmmm....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
Almost There

Alibiteme Maybe?

Those prices remind me of Ebay sellers who post a good price then ask a small fortune for shipping. Ali, bite me. Good luck on your quest and hope you can find decent deal.
capnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Yes - Thanks for the link. It sounds to me like there are several of us looking at lith batteries. I poked around more on the WWW since o1marc posted this. If my inquires turn up something reliable and cheap - I will reply back to ya'll.

Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #9
Bus Geek

You'll notice I backed out of this after I posted the link. While the prices are much cheaper for the batteries coming out of China, the shipping makes them as expensive if not more than what could be obtained domestically. LI is the way to go but the upfront cost of almost 3 times the other options is hard to swallow but ultimately cheaper in the long run.
I'm still trying to get more info on the 300ah batteries they show in the price list. One place asked me if a 325ah/12.8v would work ?
Might be beneficial is say 5-10 of needed batteries and could get the shipping cost down.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Hmmm.

OK. I managed to glean the name of a contact in Oregon who distributes a similar battery from the Chinese manufacturing sites. If he proves legit, and the price is right, I'll share it. I'm looking at 24v 100+ah.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #11
Skoolie

Chassis: Tc2000
Engine: 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 27
Check out these guys for Li-Ion batteries located in the USA. Their prices are pretty good but its mostly used stuff with no warranty.

They are honest to you about the condition and will even do some capacity tests for you if you ask nicely.

https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/garage-sale-items-ev/

If you want to taLk BMS then message me or lets start a new thread. Im working on designing a 6 cell ( 25.2V ) Li-Ion fully programmable BMS using an Arduino.
It will allow balancing, cell monitoring, and low and high voltage shutoff.

Right now I haven't settled on a way of doing it but have a few ideas that would work.
( Debating between getting a premanufactured chip and tieing it into the arduino over I2C Protocol or just having the arduino do everything )
Jsneeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
Check out these guys for Li-Ion batteries located in the USA. Their prices are pretty good but its mostly used stuff with no warranty.

They are honest to you about the condition and will even do some capacity tests for you if you ask nicely.

https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/garage-sale-items-ev/

If you want to taLk BMS then message me or lets start a new thread. Im working on designing a 6 cell ( 25.2V ) Li-Ion fully programmable BMS using an Arduino.

Right now I haven't settled on a way of doing it but have a few ideas that would work.
( Debating between getting a premanufactured chip and tieing it into the arduino over I2C Protocol or just having the arduino do everything )

Well, interesting. I've already created a 3s8p li-ion battery using recovered 18650's from old laptop batteries. I used VRUZEND's 18650 caps to cap the 18650s and tie them together into a battery. I then used their 3s BMS and ran that into a solar charge controller that was made for charging li-ion batteries (i.e. programmable setpoints). I then powered several USB chargers and a 100W inverter. Dropped it all into a pelican case and I have my own solar inverter.

The neat thing is I can use up to a 7s battery as the solar charge controller can handle a max voltage of 30V. Its not an MPPT, so its only about 65% efficient vs. 90-95% for an MPPT, but for low voltage / low power its great.

Caps: https://vruzend.com/product/vruzend_basic_kit/
BMS: https://vruzend.com/product/3s-battery-management-system-bms/
Charge controller: https://www.amazon.com/PowMr-Control...dp/B07MY49FFM/

I also bought a 4-bay charger for the 18650s to weed out the bad cells from the good, but that isn't necessary if you buy new 18650s....

So I have about $100 in the project - I'm not including the charger (don't need if you buy new 18650s); the used laptop batteries were free; and I had the inverter from several years ago.

As for the arduino, I'd recommend throwing in an MPPT stage as well....
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsneeb View Post
If you do start a new thread, link it here please! I don't want to miss it.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote