Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Mini split AC

Mumsywumsy was not a happy camper this last weekend, only one air conditioner that wouldn't stay running in the day time because it would overheat and shut down.Just trying to cool the bedroom. For a number of reasons I don't want to use RV roof airs. I have pretty much decided I want to go with mini splits, unless someone really has a compelling reason not to. I have space in the front to mount one compressor unit and a number of possibilities to mount one in the rear.

Is lower cost to run the inverter types the only reason to buy one? Since it will only be run when I plug into power that I paid a flat fee for at a campground, what makes the difference?

My understanding is that they run all the time, just at different levels, do they always put out cool air just different amounts? That does seem like it would be a plus. If so that answers the first question.

Just as a rough guess would two 9s cool this, should I go with two 12s? Mounted on very front and rear walls. Forty feet long, rough R values are, walls R6, ceiling R3, floor R10?

I have found this,12,000 Btu Klimaire 15 SEER DC Inverter Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner. I can get two with installation kit for $1400 including shipping. They are the inverter type.

It seems that you can get a higher SEER number in a 12 but they are 220V.

Just for the record the unit I have is the exact same one this guy is selling. (didn't buy it from him) I had used it in my semi, I took it out, and basically had done the same thing before I even saw this. busconversion101.com/air_conditioning.htm

Dick

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'm sorely tempted by the mini-split solution for my bus too. I don't have any personal experience to back it up, but I speculate that the inverter type would start softer and therefore be easier to spin up on generator power, especially on an inverter generator. It also might give you better odds of running both units simultaneously on a 30A single-phase park hookup...?

If you have some time and inclination to experiment you could set up whatever kind of A/C is handy (portable, window-mount, etc) and has known cooling capacity and see how it does. Might have to use some extra fans to mix the air better. If you have some idea about the outdoor temperature and the sun exposure, and the cooling ability of the test unit, you might be able to extrapolate and estimate your heat load for ideal sizing of the permanent units.

The heat pump feature could be nice too if your bus is used during heating season.

I assume you meant two for $1400 (each) with shipping... right?

The other thing I'm considering is an R410A based window unit. Maybe a few of them. I'd have the refrigerant removed, disassemble the unit, more or less turn it into a mini split built into the bus, then vacuum and refill with refrigerant.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I'm interested and will be watching this thread.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Garrison Mini Split Ductless AC System 12K BTU Condensor Air Handler 115 V | eBay

I'll be running one or two similar to this one.

Similar setups go for 450-500 all around here.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I can only suggest you investigate the manufacturer very thoroughly. I installed five 1.5 ton units here at my studios about 7 years ago that were supposed to be "state-of-the-art". They were all in my dumpster within 3 years, two immediately after the 1 year warranty expired. Turns out the units made in China are absolute crap (surprise, surprise!). These were all from a company called "Turbo Air". Avoid them (and all other Chinese makes) like the plague.

I was later told by a friend in the HVAC biz that the best on the market are made by Mitsubishi (Japan). No experience with them, but he told me that units he installed 15 years ago were still running strong.

The Turbo Air garbage cost me a small fortune by the time all was said and done.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Really good name brand units are only a little more, I was just giving a quick example from a ten second search.
But 1400 can easily buy two good mini splits. Yes sir.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
One consideration for RV use might be the orientation/location of the compressor/condenser unit. All I have seen are somewhat tall and must be oriented vertically (?). Just a thought.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I plan on building boxes or brackets for those.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Old 06-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Pioneer 12000 BTU 115V 15 SEER Inverter Ductless Mini Split Heat Pump 10' Lines | eBay
Old 06-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I'm looking at this one with Toshiba compressor.
KSIN012-H115 12000 BTU Mini Ductless Split AC - Heat Pump
Pretty close to me in Michigan.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I'm looking at this one with Toshiba compressor.
KSIN012-H115 12000 BTU Mini Ductless Split AC - Heat Pump
Pretty close to me in Michigan.

going to the "save" file
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
so, theoretically these 115v mini split systems could be mounted to the rear bumper providing you don't block the tail lights or in a frame mounted above the tail lights... heat & air in one hit!

A single 12000 BTU probably wouldn't be enough to cool/heat the whole bus, but it gives me an idea where to start... seems like a better option that a cooling only unit sticking out of a window.

Wonder if you could mount two of the condenser units under the bus, and put a mesh grill in the skirt, so the fan could operate normally.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
Wonder if you could mount two of the condenser units under the bus, and put a mesh grill in the skirt, so the fan could operate normally.
That would make more sense, especially with an RE

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
so, theoretically these 115v mini split systems could be mounted to the rear bumper providing you don't block the tail lights or in a frame mounted above the tail lights... heat & air in one hit!

A single 12000 BTU probably wouldn't be enough to cool/heat the whole bus, but it gives me an idea where to start... seems like a better option that a cooling only unit sticking out of a window.

The "heat" would be ok here in Florida.

My current plan is to use one of the 12k btu splits and a small 5k btu in one back window. That would be enough to cool it I think.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:

Would something like this work?
24000 BTU Dual Zone Energy Star Mini Split 21 SEER - 12000 x 2

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
just for your information, my 35 foot bluebird wanderlodge left the factory with 3 20,000 btu AC units, not sure how much insulation it has but more than a school bus, the walls are twice as thick

I was thinking a 24K BTU unit and 2 inside wall units for my 28 foot bus, not sure if it would be enough though
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
just for your information, my 35 foot bluebird wanderlodge left the factory with 3 20,000 btu AC units, not sure how much insulation it has but more than a school bus, the walls are twice as thick

I was thinking a 24K BTU unit and 2 inside wall units for my 28 foot bus, not sure if it would be enough though
Again, all of our needs will be different.

Amount of square feet of windows, and type / thickness of insulation, climate used in, outside color of the bus, fridge inside, ect.

I like adding money on insulation, proper color, roof deck (Shade), ect now VS spending a ton on heating and cooling throughout the life of the bus.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliol View Post
It states 220v.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
another option, one I already have, you just hang the 2 hoses out a window, first thing I am going to try to cool the bus
Amazon.com - Whynter 14, 000 BTU Dual Hose Portable Air Conditioner (ARC-14S) - Portable Ac Unit

and you really want the 2 hose versions
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote