Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Year: 1984
mounting generator inside bus?

Diesel pushers have the engine in the back of the bus seperated by a firewall, ect. I'm thinking of putting a 5500 watt gennie in the back of bus. I want to take the lower window of the back door out and put a louvered grill there for fresh air.

Inside the bust will be a metal built box with sound proffing to encase the gennie. Cut a hole in the floor and run the exhaust straight out the bottom.....

Can you picture it? What do ya think??

collincountycab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: mounting generator inside bus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collincountycab
Diesel pushers have the engine in the back of the bus seperated by a firewall, ect. I'm thinking of putting a 5500 watt gennie in the back of bus. I want to take the lower window of the back door out and put a louvered grill there for fresh air.

Inside the bust will be a metal built box with sound proffing to encase the gennie. Cut a hole in the floor and run the exhaust straight out the bottom.....

Can you picture it? What do ya think??
i think the diesel pushers only have an upper back window.. above the engine compartment...
some of the newer gensets like onan have built in sound proof enclosure so you just put them in.. in the case of a diesel pusher like mine, one can remove the air cleaner assembly, move the electric panel just a bit, and put a gen set right in that air cleaner space. air cleaners are normally moved to up by the rear window area in that case.
in my bus, i have an onan genset where the front steps used to be, as i put in a side RV door
Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Hi, I'm working on installing a genny right now and I'm curious as to what you plan to use to silence the little b----dear? Thanks
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

the lead lined sound proof boards work real good, sheet sound material for high heat - like you wrap gen set exh pipes with, even metal screen with small holes - like is found above some drivers area will help some.
keep in mind that you will need air flow if its an air cooled one.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Dont want to hijack your thread but Im getting close to generator mouting myself. If anyone has pics of how they made a slide out (be is in a pusher or non pusher in a side compartment) it would be greatly appreciated.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

several pictures on busconversions.com site, and several internet pictures, simple ones are made like a battery slide out for truck battery banks. that is how my onan is mounted, on greased rails mostly because i do not move it very often at all unless a major service, and can change the oil in its own compartment, and change points as well without moving it.
also keep in mind that if you have a generator muffler that is not part of the unit, it must either slide out as well, or as i did it, i can loosen the exhaust clamp and swing the muffler and tail pipe as i pull the genset out.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I looked at a lot of pics on the internet. Saw some commerical made mounts which they didnt seem that expensive but I havent measured out what size I need I need to put in there. Im like you I am going to try and mount it in a way so that the muffler stays with the unit so there isnt a ton of disconnecting.

Ill take a look at busconversions. I read Fred Hobes page on it. Sounds like a good setup but maybe Im not very good following his build but pics on that would go a long ways. Guess Im more visual when it comes to putting it together.

49 do you have some pics of yours? I would be interested in seeing it. I agree the less moving the better.

I am planning on putting it in the cargo box on the driver side which is going to be a little bit aft of the drivers set. Any thoughts on that or do you think there is a better place. Mine is going to be ran on propane but I may go to dual fuel and have a good carb put back on it as I run a gas engine which may be good to do I just dont want to have to become a carb rebuilding expert is the only reason why I got in to a propane driven unit.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Bapos, I'm in the process of building the slide out you spoke of. I'll post it on the Chevy 1935 thread in a day or two. At least it will give you something to think about. Jack
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Jack

That would be great. Some ideas are always good to look at.

Here is the commercial built stuff I was thinking about looking in to. If those prices are good Im not sure I can build it cheaper? What do you guys think?

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...r-slide-II.htm
Old 09-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

i think they would probably would work fine, as lots of coach people use them, esp if you have compartments as you have most of the work done after ya spend the 300 bucks or so. adding them under a skoolie wouldnt be hard, you would just have to make your framework to hold them.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I would be worried about having the exhaust dump out the bottom.

WOuld it not be safer to run a pipe up the side and have the exit above the bus?
Fumes can build up and kill you...
caseythenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Hello all, I agree, one way or another the exhaust should be directed out the top of the bus. It will be much safer that way as well as much more quiet. I just finished my genny box and I will plumb the exhaust out the top of the bus. If you want to take a look at it go to 1935 Chevy etc. BTW, the drawers that Purple offers look excellent though VERY expensive--why not just copy them and save the bucks? Jack