Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Re: my ideas for a electric generation

Ressurecting this thread, sorry...

Quote:
one more idea i think would work very well but have not yet tried is adding a 2nd alternator to the bus engine that only runs the house system.
I have done it...my bus spins two alternators. One is the factory alternator, charging the starting battery & powering lights, heat, etc. The other is a standard Delco 12SI (factory application is a mid-80's cop/taxi Caprice, it's about a 90 amp) hooked to the "house" batteries. The systems are separate (though both ground through the engine & chassis), a failure of one alternator won't affect the other. The 12SI can be connected to provide "chassis" power (both are wired with the same connectors).
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I did that too, with two GM CS130 alternators, on my "Land Yacht". I also installed cables and a switch to allow both batteries to be connected in parallel, for self jump starting or charging in case of failure of either alternator.
The alternators are effectively connected directly together when I hit the switch. I experimented with it and found that they work together just fine and share the load.
Joe Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul iossi
has anyone tried wiring up an external diode pack on a heatsink like the ambulance people do?
That's not a bad idea. A person could even take the diode pack out of the alternator (rather than get the bigger aftermarket ones) and put it on a heatsink with a cheap computer fan.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Monstermaker
I did that too, with two GM CS130 alternators, on my "Land Yacht". I also installed cables and a switch to allow both batteries to be connected in parallel, for self jump starting or charging in case of failure of either alternator.
The alternators are effectively connected directly together when I hit the switch. I experimented with it and found that they work together just fine and share the load.
that's interesting. I was curious before about how trucks that come from the factory, like older ford plow trucks, were able to have dual alternators.

i am also a big fan of having dual separate alternators on a bus. On my last bus, the aux alternator was 24 volts. The advantage is that at that voltage it only takes half the current to run high amperage loads, like a 3K watt inverter.

i plan to repeat that setup on my next bus.

they were both gm 1 wire alternators, and oddly enough they were identical housings.