Old 04-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #1

Smile Need an efficient power source!

Hello fellow Skoolies! I am new to the forum and have problem that hopefully is not unique among those who love bus conversions. I have a 1990-ish TC-2000 diesel school bus that I need to convert to a mobile medical clinic that has both a medical and a surgical suite to be used in Africa. I need power to run the lights (inside and out), AC, power for a surgical cautery, autoclave (sterilizer), portable anesthesia equipment, commercial vacuum suction, ice machine, small refrigerator, three exhaust fans, a hydraulic lift, video camera system, 2 slide outs, 2 canopy motors (extend and retract), communications equipment, and a water pump. I thought about placing a diesel generator on top of the bus, but it would have to be too large. Solar and wind power would not be efficient alone. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a super efficient power supply out there for this purpose that does not have a such large footprint? I would appreciate any wisdom that anyone can share! Thank you so much!

Dr. Mike

Medibusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
How about a generator on a rear "porch" extension or under the floor? With all the draws you need the choices are pretty much a generator or plug into grid power.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
A diesel back up generator on a tow behind trailer that you can drop a few hundred feet away fro the bus so your staff isn't hollering at each other over the noise to get there job done.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: Cat 3208/Allison MT643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medibusman View Post
Hello fellow Skoolies! I am new to the forum and have problem that hopefully is not unique among those who love bus conversions. I have a 1990-ish TC-2000 diesel school bus that I need to convert to a mobile medical clinic that has both a medical and a surgical suite to be used in Africa. I need power to run the lights (inside and out), AC, power for a surgical cautery, autoclave (sterilizer), portable anesthesia equipment, commercial vacuum suction, ice machine, small refrigerator, three exhaust fans, a hydraulic lift, video camera system, 2 slide outs, 2 canopy motors (extend and retract), communications equipment, and a water pump. I thought about placing a diesel generator on top of the bus, but it would have to be too large. Solar and wind power would not be efficient alone. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there a super efficient power supply out there for this purpose that does not have a such large footprint? I would appreciate any wisdom that anyone can share! Thank you so much!

Dr. Mike

Mike,
If you haven't already done it, it would be beneficial to determine your projected daily electrical power requirement in terms of watt hours and then back into a system that will support it.

Also, check out this guy's electrical system... Big panels and lots of lithium; 24kWh of batteries and 3400-ish watts of solar.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

Thank you, Sir. Great ideas.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #6

Thank you, Jolly Roger. This is the idea that seems more feasible. Now I need to read up on how to determine a power load. This will keep me busy, but necessary so that I can determine how large of a generator I need.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I like the trailer idea!

Are bus repair parts available in Africa?

Power systems over there are probably different than our 120V system. I know that South Africa has a 230V system.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Thank you, Comfort Eagle. This unit might come in handy. I will need some biomedical engineering assistance to know how to possibly configure it to my needs.

Happy Trails.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

Thanks Roach! I will definitely have to check into the power systems there. It might be obvious that I am a novice at this, but I am trying to be a dry sponge to soak up enough knowledge from the pros so that I can utilize it on this huge undertaking I have stumbled into.