Old 04-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Skoolie

Need answers fast about my battery

Hi my name is sun bear I have a 97 bluebird with a 5 9 Cummins 6bt motor all mechanical 12 valve. I tried starting her in 12 degree weather. She crank over and then did nothing but click so I took the battery to AutoZone and they charged it put the battery back in and she still just clicked at the starter. I was freezing with my five year old so I had to play told me to a safe spot to my friends property then we flew home to California for a couple months. So we get back and I tried to charge the battery with a heavy-duty home charger and she still just clicked so we put the charger to 40 amp and she turned over so that I tried charging the battery with 40 amp charger and it wouldn't take a charge luckily for me I had four days left on the warranty now I have a brand new battery with no warranty and I'm wondering if there's something else besides the cold weather that could have killed my last battery my alternator is brand new for less than a year old the starter is brand new or less than a year old I just don't want to hurt my new battery what can I do to avoid killing this battery someone told me that you can kill a battery by trying to jump it in freezing cold weather is this true what would you do would you just slapped a new battery in and fire it up? Thank you for your response
Sunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
So did it start with the new battery?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Skoolie

I won't know until tomorrow with my disability I have to wait for help lifting and I want to re connect the drive line. But since it fired right up with my old battery in a 40 amp charger and my old battery was low on amps is it not sake to assume it would start with a brand new battery?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds like it should start. The problem may very have been that the other battery was just worn out.
tlbeck1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #5
Skoolie

Hmmm that sucks the battery was only a year old and I never drained it to where I needed a jump I hope I have better luck with this one cause the warranty is up in a cpl days .
Old 04-24-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My guess is it will start with the new battery but time will tell.

What kills starting batteries:

- Allowing them to be deeply discharged over and over
- Allowing the electrolyte to drop below the top of the plates
- Overcharging (sustained charging over 14.8 volts)
- Allowing them to freeze

A fully charged battery won't freeze so keeping it charged during the winter is essential, especially if your bus is parked all winter long.

Don't assume the new battery is fully charged. Many have been sitting on the shelf and are partially discharged. If you have a volt meter your battery should show 12.6 volts or better. If not, charge it over night before installing it.

Once the bus is started check your alternator output with a voltmeter at the battery posts. A good alternator should be giving you 14.5 volts or so.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Skoolie

Thank you I'll do that
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
A vehicle that just sits for long periods will deplete the battery (and cause damage to the battery). Even with a mechanical engine there's sure to be some ignition-off draw for a radio memory or something. When it needs to sit for long periods, disconnect the battery and use a charger to ensure it's fully charged.
family wagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #9
Skoolie

But that's the thing, when she originally broke down I was in the middle of a road trip she wasn't sitting
Old 04-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Skoolie

So I got a new battery and the starter engaged but not enough power to make her run

I booked her to the 40 amp charger and she still wouldn't start. The new battery read 12.56