Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #1

Need help id wiring

Hello, new member but have a 1993 carpenter diesel pusher. Last night someone stole my main batteries (8d) and cut the wires. I'm trying to figure out what these 4 wires go to, I have the large 4a positive and negative, then a have a 4gauge positive cable, and then there's 4 black mystery wires that are 10 gauge,I'm just trying to figure out if there hots or grounds?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3725.JPG   IMG_3714.jpg  

Zbbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Sorry about that, I can't stand thieves. I have no experience with your particular bus. But in general additional wires connected to batteries are for powering equipment. My best guess would be that they should be connected back to the positive side. However they should be red in that case. I wouldn't connect anything back to batteries without tracing them out. Hopefully they dropped one of your batteries on there foot!
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Good looking bus. Sucks about the punks taking your batteries. Meth heads.

Not really an easy way other than following the wires, but if you put a multimeter on the ends, you may be able to identify grounds to frame, low ohms.

I labeled my wires once I went to the trouble of id'ing them for future senility.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

Thanks you guys, yes unfortunately thieves suck. I bought two buses at auction and the day before I got there to pick them up they stole the two 8d batteries! I'll post pics of my other bus I got the 1993 carpenter with Detroit power and a 1998 blue bird with a brand new cummins 8.3, Allison 5 speed overdrive, and full certified EPA regen retrofit from a school district. Both busses had full current maintenance and he cummins was replaced 2000 miles ago. I picked up both busses for 2900 bucks! I drove the blue bird three hours home and check out the oil. Still golden brown : )
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3755.jpg   IMG_3753.jpg   IMG_3751.jpg   IMG_3749.jpg   IMG_3752.jpg  

IMG_3737.jpg   IMG_3718.jpg   IMG_3734.jpg  
Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Good looking bus. Sucks about the punks taking your batteries. Meth heads.

Not really an easy way other than following the wires, but if you put a multimeter on the ends, you may be able to identify grounds to frame, low ohms.

I labeled my wires once I went to the trouble of id'ing them for future senility.
I'm very talented mechanically but not electrically. If I ohm them what would I typically see for values between a hot cable and a ground? Or any advice to help identify short of tracing them would be appreciated
Old 09-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Skoolie

Those are some great looking buses, do you need two or was the deal just to good to pass up?

As far as your battery wires... It really depends on what the wires are connected too for what you can expect to see on the meter and with used buses it is almost impossible to tell what may have been done over the years. A bunch of wires connected to a battery can indicate aftermarket equipment. They could go to relays or PA systems or who knows what else. If you check the continuity to the bus chassis on the wires and have no resistance it is probably a chassis ground. I know quite a bit about electrical and in your shoes I would grab a buddy and a meter then chase every wire down it probably won't take as long as you think. If you still can't tell what it does report your findings back here and I'm sure someone will be able to tell what your dealing with. I wish I knew an easier way but this is the only thing I know will work.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Thieves suck..

You might be able to put a Wire Toner on them and track them down. You can usually pick one up for around $20.

I have never used them on automotive stuff but they might work in something as large as a bus were the wires are spread out. They work great for low voltage wires in buildings.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Again thank you guys so much. Unfortunately I have to have the bus off the auction grounds asap so I'm going to hook up the main leads and see if I can get it going to get it out then chase wires once home
Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Skoolie

Seems like they would give you a week since the theft happened on there property... good luck man
Old 09-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Are these 12 volt or 24 volt systems?

later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbbt View Post
Thanks you guys, yes unfortunately thieves suck. I bought two buses at auction and the day before I got there to pick them up they stole the two 8d batteries!
If I understand this correctly, they didn't steal your batteries; they stole batteries belonging to whoever sold it to you. You had not taken delivery of the goods; they did not do their due diligence in protecting the goods; the goods are not as described; you don't have to take possession if you don't want to.

Play a little hardball. See if you can get some bux back for your inconvenience.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #12

As an update I ran out of time today but with the main cables hooked up I have power everywhere except to start it. The 4 smaller wires two are actually white. But when you turn the key nothing happens. I can jump the starter and it'll turn over but won't fire. I assume that whatever's preventing it from cranking isn't energizing the fuel shutoff solenoid. So I have to go back tomorrow and try and figure out those 4 wires. Does anyone know where the fuel shutoff solenoid is? It's a 1993 carpenter with the supercharged/turbocharged v8
Old 09-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Are these 12 volt or 24 volt systems?

later J
That's a good question. I wonder if it is 24, I have it ran in Parallel so it's currently 12 but could be 24
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
If I understand this correctly, they didn't steal your batteries; they stole batteries belonging to whoever sold it to you. You had not taken delivery of the goods; they did not do their due diligence in protecting the goods; the goods are not as described; you don't have to take possession if you don't want to.

Play a little hardball. See if you can get some bux back for your inconvenience.
He stole the buses. Inside job.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #15

Again everyone your help is greatly appreciated, my last question would be if anyone knows where the fuse box/ breaker panel would be located or where to look? I can't seem to find it it's a 1993 carpenter flat nose diesel pusher with supercharged/ turbo Detroit if that helps
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Skoolie

I really wish I could help you more, I see there is a panel below your drivers window more than likely a majority of your wiring is in there. I don't know that a lot of folks here have that specific bus. If someone with more intimate knowledge doesn't respond it may be worthwhile to look for a manual either online or by contacting carpenter, you will likely want the manuals eventually anyway. I really hate that this happened to you people can be horrible.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:00 AM   #17
Bus Nut

If they're the same bus engine setup try looking at the other bus.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Mine is Cummins with 2 8d in parallel meaning 12volt it had a single 8 gauge to one battery pos side from the alternator and a single black wire to the body for the ground negative side hope this helps voltage will be stamped on either the starter or the alternator case.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote