Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
That's how I felt too.... I can get by without the generator for the time being since the hot season is pretty much over. I'll be adding A/C to the rig but probably not till next spring, so I will need a generator to run that if I'm not in a campground with shore power. Granted I could probably run it off a battery bank and inverter but I would need a massive bank to do it, and more panels than I would have room for.

I have a freestanding A/C unit but it's only like 5000 BTU which won't be enough to cool the entire coach. It *might* keep the bedroom cool.

I'll have to do some figuring to see if the ~440 ah system will be enough to run the loads I will have, plus an inverter (2500w) I have lying around to run a TV, Blu-Ray player and maybe a satellite receiver when I get it.

The water heater will run off LP, and I can also get a couple of LP heaters though I'll have to keep a window cracked to prevent condensation buildup and also allow fresh air in to keep the CO from building up. Think electric heaters will just be too much of a power draw... 1 might work but 2 would be too much, and from what I've read 2 is the absolute minimum to stay comfortable.

I may also build a homebrew solar powered heater... I've seen videos on how to build it using just wood framing with a plexiglass cover, a 12v fan and aluminum cans painted black.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:36 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Alleycat, for what you're doing you could easily get away with solar and propane. Skip the gennie. They're loud and obnoxious.

The three big typical electrical draws for any house are the water heater, electrical range and air conditioning. The only one of those that makes sense to run off of a generator is the AC, which you didn't list as a load.

Running a water heater or range from a generator is a silly affair. You get this great fuel (gasoline or propane) that creates loads of heat, then you waste 90% of the heat to produce a bit of electricity, then you send it across wires that waste more energy (line loss) to produce more heat at the end... Same thing with a water heater. Just burn some propane for gosh sake!

A reasonable solar system would suit you well. I run my small fridge year-round off of 600w of solar panels and a 455Ah battery bank. Both have paid themselves off several times over compared to the cost of a generator and the required fuels. My lights always work, my pumps always work, my fans always work, my stereo always works. I can run a miter saw off of my 2000w inverter. Heck, I even ran a cement mixer off of the inverter! Mind you, it was a beautiful sunny day which helped keep things running along.

Despite what naysayers be sayin', the cost of solar has come down to an incredibly reasonable price. It took 1.5 years for my solar to make sense over a generator. That ain't bad. By no means do I have endless energy, but even living up north there is ample sun to make it worthwhile. I dunno.. it was an easy choice for me.
to the point, i like that
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Alleycat, for what you're doing you could easily get away with solar and propane. Skip the gennie. They're loud and obnoxious.

The three big typical electrical draws for any house are the water heater, electrical range and air conditioning. The only one of those that makes sense to run off of a generator is the AC, which you didn't list as a load.

Running a water heater or range from a generator is a silly affair. You get this great fuel (gasoline or propane) that creates loads of heat, then you waste 90% of the heat to produce a bit of electricity, then you send it across wires that waste more energy (line loss) to produce more heat at the end... Same thing with a water heater. Just burn some propane for gosh sake!

A reasonable solar system would suit you well. I run my small fridge year-round off of 600w of solar panels and a 455Ah battery bank. Both have paid themselves off several times over compared to the cost of a generator and the required fuels. My lights always work, my pumps always work, my fans always work, my stereo always works. I can run a miter saw off of my 2000w inverter. Heck, I even ran a cement mixer off of the inverter! Mind you, it was a beautiful sunny day which helped keep things running along.

Despite what naysayers be sayin', the cost of solar has come down to an incredibly reasonable price. It took 1.5 years for my solar to make sense over a generator. That ain't bad. By no means do I have endless energy, but even living up north there is ample sun to make it worthwhile. I dunno.. it was an easy choice for me.
Yes! Well written!

I also have a small catalytic propane heater for chilly mornings. Forget electric heat. Even a small electric heater will sap your battery bank.

I have run a Wally World 5000 btu ac during the day, positioned over the sleeping quarters. You're right. It's not enough for the entire bus but drawing a curtain across the sleeping quarters could give you a nice daytime siesta. The ac pulled about 440 watts. But 350 watts was provided by solar! So a 100 watt load on my batteries for a couple of hours was no big deal easily made up by afternoon sunshine.

I could run my ac through the night but it would probably deplete my batteries to maybe 50% charge or thereabouts. You can do that occasionally but it will shorten your battery life. If you can work with 20 - 30% of your battery's total Ah's between solar charges you can get 6 - 8 years out of your battery bank!

I haven't completed my bus conversion yet. Working on it daily. It's a five window short bus with room for only two 96 cell panels comfortably. Maybe three if I hadn't put in the rooftop vent. But my solar has been up and running for three months. I have four 230 Ah batteries for 460 Ah at 12 volts. I'm comfortably running power tools plugged into my bus including a portable air compressor.

Just remember... Even the smallest bit of shading on your panels will significantly reduce their output. Shadow from a rooftop ac or vent or wifi antenna is a no no. Two playing cards placed over a single cell on my panel will essentially shut it off to a trickle. I've watched the charge rate drop as a wispy cloud passed in front of the sun. I noticed only the slightest decrease in light outside the bus while there was a 200 watt drop in charge rate. It is all fascinating to watch and learn.

500 - 600 watts of solar, four deep cell 6 volt golfcart batteries, a programmable MPPT charge controller, 2000 watt inverter (I went with pure sine), BIG (appropriately sized) wire to connect it all, proper placement of panels to eliminate shadowing and a good battery monitor to KNOW what is going on. That's a good place to start (and maybe finish!).

Welcome to quiet, renewable energy!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...0o3WkFuOWIxUjQ

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I like having my little Honda EU3000i as backup. Inverted power and it is super quiet.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #15
Bus Nut

I wonder if that ~1000 watts of panels would keep six batteries charged up to give me ~660 ah of capacity? I know I may have to utililze a larger charge controller... I saw some that were higher output, also more expensive but not unreasonably so.

This one spits out 96A:
http://www.wholesalesolar.com/390014...rge-controller
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have a 2 hose portable A/C that is soft start and variabe speed.. its 12,000 BTU and pulls about 1100 watts when it is maxxed out... normally on normal load it pulls about 600-900 and when just holding temperature in tempered weather it is at 300-400 or so.. sometimes lower..

if your coach is well insualted and already cool.. say i nthe bedroom that unit would likely run at its lowest speed so you would have a chance at it with solar
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I like having my little Honda EU3000i as backup. Inverted power and it is super quiet.
Second that. Or an EU7000i instead (it is the quietest in their whole lineup).

If you do eventually come to the conclusion that a generator is wanted that Duromax would probably be unpleasant at best, which is to say outrageously loud. It'd be fine on a construction site or VERY dispersed camping (at the end of 50 to 100 feet of cord) but would be very unwelcome if there are neighbors closer than a few hundred feet.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Yea I know it will be loud.... I do really like the Honda generators but they're just SO expensive..... if I could find a decent price on a decent sized one then maybe....
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #19
Bus Nut

How about this genset? This is actually the first one I found....

Cabela's Outdoorsman 9000W/11250-Watt Remote-Start Generator by Champion

I'm looking on CL for some Honda ones but seems like the asking price is awful high even on the used ones.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
How about this genset? This is actually the first one I found....

Cabela's Outdoorsman 9000W/11250-Watt Remote-Start Generator by Champion

I'm looking on CL for some Honda ones but seems like the asking price is awful high even on the used ones.
Try Ryobi. They sell a decent alternative to the honda for less money.