Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie battery generator converter question.

I have the newmark dcv 20r converter. I can put multiple batteries. I want starting ability once in a while but more than anything powering electronics lights the fridge an ac or heater you know the main stuff. Smaller Kitchen appliances etc.
Its connected to shore power now and runs the fridge lights and all the 110 outlets work. etc. It also has a propane line that we plan on using with a 100 gallon tank.

Where it will be going there is no shore power.

What do i need to run this baby (not drive it) and live comfortably? I am in northern nevada

Would love your advice and what you think would be good options on the cheaper end

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Old 10-08-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hey Stacey,

Running small loads from battery power is pretty straightforward. You will need some method of recharging. Solar, generator or shore power.

For larger loads it becomes more difficult due to the size, weight and cost of the batteries needed to support them. Anything with a decent size electric motor or a heating element is likely to be better suited to running from shore power or generator.

In my last bus I didn't have solar so my charging options were limited to Genny or shore power. I fell into a fairly regular routine when boondocking. When I got up in the morning i would start my generator, run the coffee maker, microwave and (wife's) blow dryer. That generally meant 1-2 hours of generator time each morning. That also topped my battery bank.

My cooktop, oven, heat and hot water were all propane.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Stacey,

Running small loads from battery power is pretty straightforward. You will need some method of recharging. Solar, generator or shore power.

For larger loads it becomes more difficult due to the size, weight and cost of the batteries needed to support them. Anything with a decent size electric motor or a heating element is likely to be better suited to running from shore power or generator.

In my last bus I didn't have solar so my charging options were limited to Genny or shore power. I fell into a fairly regular routine when boondocking. When I got up in the morning i would start my generator, run the coffee maker, microwave and (wife's) blow dryer. That generally meant 1-2 hours of generator time each morning. That also topped my battery bank.

My cooktop, oven, heat and hot water were all propane.
We were thinking of doing a 12v duracell heavy duty from battieres plus for starting and either 1 12v deep cycle or 2 6v deep cycle. To charge we werr thinking of doing 100 w solar and use the coach idling to recharge until we get a generator does this sound appropriate? The beast has 2 gas tanks and runs gas it gets abput 2 mpg. How much gas do you think it will take to do a battery charge? Can we get awal with doing itt this way?

Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Another question. Can i run this computer on the 12 v battery or do i need 2 12vs batteries

Old 10-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You need to calculate your expected electrical load over a 24 hour period, in amp hours.

Then decide how long you will have to go without re-charging the battery(s).

Expect to double your final figure as the amp hour requirement as you don't want to discharge the batteries by more than 50%

So, if you have 600 Amp hours of stored capacity, you can use 300 Amp hours before needing a re-charge. So that would be 300 Amps for 1 hour, and 3 Amps for 100 hours. It's not quite that simple, but you get the drift.

There is a point where simply buying batteries isn't the answer because of weight and cost. A small inverter generator is quite capable of topping up the batteries with a few hours running.

All of this is simply a guide to how long you can "boondock". Solar power increases that time because the solar will put charge in the batteries too.(Actually that's all the solar does ... charge batteries and contribute to inveter output).

It's not whether a single, or multiple batteries will power an individual item like your laptop, but more a case of how long you can power the items you want to run.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Bus Geek

We need a sticky with electrical load worksheets and solar/battery sizing calculator.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Bus Nut

The power inverter sites have some charts for both a.c. & dc components. If you want to run off batteries for an extended period, I'd recommend the 8d series deep cycle batteries. They're expensive and large and heavy, but they provide a large amount of amp/ hrs. I'm going to add 2 to mine. Already have 2 of the cranking ones for the Cummins. GL

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
We need a sticky with electrical load worksheets and solar/battery sizing calculator.

....and about 10 other sticky's.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
....and about 10 other sticky's.
Body style FAQ

Popular Engine/transmission FAQ

Buying a used bus, what to look for?

How do I get my bus home?

Electrical FAQ's
Overview and load calculations
DC systems
AC systems
Generator
Solar

Where do I start?

Air conditioners. Road and parked.

Off the top of my head, those are most of the "daily" questions. What have I missed?
Old 10-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

On the dcv inverter the output is 20 eventually we will get a new one with a larger one. But what can that run?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You need to calculate your expected electrical load over a 24 hour period, in amp hours.

Then decide how long you will have to go without re-charging the battery(s).

Expect to double your final figure as the amp hour requirement as you don't want to discharge the batteries by more than 50%

So, if you have 600 Amp hours of stored capacity, you can use 300 Amp hours before needing a re-charge. So that would be 300 Amps for 1 hour, and 3 Amps for 100 hours. It's not quite that simple, but you get the drift.

There is a point where simply buying batteries isn't the answer because of weight and cost. A small inverter generator is quite capable of topping up the batteries with a few hours running.

All of this is simply a guide to how long you can "boondock". Solar power increases that time because the solar will put charge in the batteries too.(Actually that's all the solar does ... charge batteries and contribute to inveter output).

It's not whether a single, or multiple batteries will power an individual item like your laptop, but more a case of how long you can power the items you want to run.
When you say small inverter generator like 1000watt one? There is a sportman brand 1000 Watt Inverter*on sale for 199. Would that be better than my dcv 20r inverter and a 100 watt solar kit?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #12
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Body style FAQ

Popular Engine/transmission FAQ

Buying a used bus, what to look for?

How do I get my bus home?

Electrical FAQ's
Overview and load calculations
DC systems
AC systems
Generator
Solar

Where do I start?

Air conditioners. Road and parked.

Off the top of my head, those are most of the "daily" questions. What have I missed?
CDL needed?
Insurance
Re-title as RV

Painting
Insulation
Seat removal
Rivet removal
Parking/HOA/storage
Tires-date/type/rims
Rear-end ratios
Roof Raise

& Best order to do all the above !!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:44 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyDemir View Post
When you say small inverter generator like 1000watt one? There is a sportman brand 1000 Watt Inverter*on sale for 199. Would that be better than my dcv 20r inverter and a 100 watt solar kit?

There really isn't a "better" in this situation. 1000W of generated power is 10X the power of a 100W solar panel working at maximum efficiency, but if the load on your system is less than 100W, then the generator would be superfluous ...

EVery aspect of an electrical system affects all of the others, so you really need to plan the components according to need, and that starts with the load you expect and where, and when you will be using it.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

If i want to boondock do i need an inverter or is that dcv thing good enough.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 idi
You should google handy bob and read his blog. Hes a wealth of information. Especially on solar
Greatestrr is offline   Reply With Quote