Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
when I'm not learning something on this site, at least I'm entertained

Yea, I'm the clown that jumped into this "skoolie" thing with both feet before I had second thoughts (oh, and I'm a desk-jockey at work, so no history at all of having worked on cars, heavy machinery, nothing). So, if you want to be entertained, check out the first time I drove my bus:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f32/ma...tml#post218756

Believe me, I didn't need coffee at all that day....

My point being that if I can do it, anyone can. Still, it helps (at least at first) to be a little crazy....

MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
terrifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Yea, I'm the clown that jumped into this "skoolie" thing with both feet before I had second thoughts (oh, and I'm a desk-jockey at work, so no history at all of having worked on cars, heavy machinery, nothing). So, if you want to be entertained, check out the first time I drove my bus:

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f32/ma...tml#post218756

Believe me, I didn't need coffee at all that day....

My point being that if I can do it, anyone can. Still, it helps (at least at first) to be a little crazy....

that must have been terrifying for you - a buddy once quoted to me, 'The Hotter the fire, the harder the steel', so take heart, stay safe, and hang on. it WILL get better
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
that must have been terrifying for you - a buddy once quoted to me, 'The Hotter the fire, the harder the steel', so take heart, stay safe, and hang on. it WILL get better

Thank you very much!

My wife will tell you that I absolutely abhor doing new things (oh, did I say I was an introvert?), so this whole conversion thing does truly terrify me.

On the other hand, this conversion thing holds the seeds of the future that my wife and I want to live - at least for a little while. We're old enough now to know that if we don't do this now with everything we have, we won't do it at all (we'll procrastinate until its nothing more than a regret).

As for getting better - only sharing such times with good friends and good family can make it better.... But a barn or some good weather (for doing conversion work) and some help with welding would be quite welcome!

Now, where are those headlights ... I put them down somewhere around here....
Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyDee View Post
Thank you very much!

My wife will tell you that I absolutely abhor doing new things (oh, did I say I was an introvert?), so this whole conversion thing does truly terrify me.

On the other hand, this conversion thing holds the seeds of the future that my wife and I want to live - at least for a little while. We're old enough now to know that if we don't do this now with everything we have, we won't do it at all (we'll procrastinate until its nothing more than a regret).

As for getting better - only sharing such times with good friends and good family can make it better.... But a barn or some good weather (for doing conversion work) and some help with welding would be quite welcome!

Now, where are those headlights ... I put them down somewhere around here....

I can sympathize, but it's hard for me to empathize - an aptitude test I once took showed an interest in adventure in the top 5 percentile - I've tackled many new things without knowing any more about the subject than that I wanted to try it - most turned out well, a few left me with the feeling, 'I guess I shouldn't have done that' - lol - I dread being bored or stuck in a rut
Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
I can sympathize, but it's hard for me to empathize - an aptitude test I once took showed an interest in adventure in the top 5 percentile - I've tackled many new things without knowing any more about the subject than that I wanted to try it - most turned out well, a few left me with the feeling, 'I guess I shouldn't have done that' - lol - I dread being bored or stuck in a rut

Hey, it takes all kinds to make this world go around! I'm more of the contemplative / philosopher type. I love learning new things! I watch people like you make mistakes and learn not to do those things (or at least not in that way...). If you succeed, then I learn that that is a good way to do whatever it was....

But now that I'm putting myself "out there", I'm going to do it with all the gusto I've got. Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes (some things you just gotta do yourself, even if it terrifies you...). Plus, I can't believe I'm really doing this....

Finally, its OK to be bored - that's where much of my creativity comes from ... and that terrifies my wife and kids....
Old 01-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

I don't find creativity to be boring, in fact I find it to be quite stimulating - my best world includes physical, mental and creative challenges - I need to have all 3 in my life - the most fun comes when all 3 are involved at the same time - even so, home and family are important to me - my kids are proud of their old dad on one hand and think I'm nuts on the other hand - lol
Old 01-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #27

dimmer switch

Thanks for sharing your stories and for all the advice. It was all much appreciated.

After changing the the light switch and dimmer switch the lights are now working.

Safe travels!
BigDaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Don’t buy cheap

I learned many years ago that the cheap headlight switches will do all kinds of strange things after about 6 months. Be sure to buy the more expensive, lifetime warranty switch if you can.
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, headlights