Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Ford B-series AmTran
Engine: Cummins 5.9 L
Rated Cap: 65
noob here, help with electrical

What is the most economical way to run power for a flat screen tv, coffee pot, backup camera and monitor, laptop and cellphone charger? Plus any other ecential minor electronics? Please help.
headin2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: noob here, help with electrical

I am capable but not an expert in electronics, so the simpler the better.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit N/A, Allison

A lot depends on how you're going to use your bus. My bus will be doing a lot of traveling, so powering nearly everything off of 12v is "free power." I don't plan to do much (if any) boondocking, so I'll be plugged into shore power. But I will still have a lot of 12v "stuff" so I am going to get a converter (not inverter) to power my 12v stuff while on shore power. Even if I do any boondocking, I'll have a genset (probably 5000 watt). It'll run through the converter. The converter will also charge the house batteries...when I get them. I haven't calculated the load just yet, so I'll have to do that when I get to that point.

To me, for me, running most everything 12v is the way to go. However, if you'll be parked most of the time, 120v AC might be better.

I hope that helps...just think about how you're going to be using your bus. Best of luck.

Ben.
NewSkewlHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Awlright, Starting with the engine, and bus. Its a 1996 ford bseries amtran with a cummins 12v 5.9l w/allison transmission. I'm using the bus right now as a moving vehicle, to move all my things up north from down south. Roughly 2500 miles. I'm still trying to rap ma head around the whole inverter, converter. As far as that goes, I have a 750 watt inverter from wally world, but have seen 1000 watters from harbour freight for the same amount as the 750. I guess we'll be running the tv, stereo/dvd/backup camera continuously while the bus is running. For the kids dora is queen and diego king. Eventually we will be converting it to an rv, but thats in the future.
So, with that info what can I do?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Will the inverter drain the battery while the bus is running? Isnt the battery continually being charged while the bus is running? And no, I dont have a generator. Sorry I'm learning as I go.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

yea, ruffing it till moved. Running the inverter dirrectly off the battery.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E450
Engine: Ford 7.3 TD
Rated Cap: 15

I seen this thread, so I figured it's around the same heading so I would jump in here. I am also just starting a project that will take me quite a while, as money is hard to come by right now. I have two deep cycle batteries to use in my battery bank. My Goshen already has a protector on it from factory, at least that is what it looks like on below the dash. There is a button that says charge protect, and the light lights up every time I start it. My question is, with the two batteries I have, do I just get a positive and a negative cable and run from the battery that is already hooked up as the aux to the second battery? Go from pos to pos, neg to neg? How do I figure out how much time I will have before I drain both batteries? Can I put two 750 watt inverters instead of one 1500 watt? There are two 750's on sale right now that I can get cheaper than the 1500. Mainly going to be using this for tailgating, so the bus won't be running very often for hours at a time.
Thanks for the info guys!
ceehawks08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

So, I got two deep cycle batterys from wal-mart which are group 27, 150 amp, will this work all right? also, how do I run them to the two existing batterys? What kind of switch should I get to charge and use the deep cycle batterys, and can I run 120v with these batterys? I should be able to wire in the inverter to these two right?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

ok, I've been doing some reading, and what I'm getting inaddition to what you're saying is, from the alternator I need either a blocking diode, or battery isolator, from there it should (and correct me at any time, please) run into a 3 stage converter/inverter, a monitering system, and then into the 12v DeepCell batteries.
At which point you should be able to run electrical from the 3 stage converter/inverter?
Do I have that right Nicky?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Which Isolator would yoou advise?