Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Not sure if I messed up...

I need some help. I have been reading this site like it's a religion for some time. I saw an add on Craigslist for a 2000w Aims 24v inverter, 2 vmax AGM 12v batteries, and a generac Transfer switch w/ load center. The guy wanted $600 for it all. From what I've been reading it sounded like a good deal. I texted with him and found out he really didn't know anything about the stuff because he bought a trailer containing it and didn't want it.

Anyway....

I got it all for $400.

With the inverter being 24v, is this going to make it too much of a PITA for me to still be able to have 12v on my bus? The inverter itself does the 120v, but I was planning on running hot/cold lines off the batteries for 12v.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought since a search on the site wasn't really helping, I'd just ask.

Thanks all for your advice.

timothyswadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You will need a transformer to step the 24V down to 12V.

You should not need the transfer switch, the inverter has one built in (check the model).

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

re

Thats what I thought about the inverter already having a transfer switch... it was confusing me a little...

Wasn't sure why they had them installed together in the first place. Maybe for the breakers?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #4

So, I saw several different converters online. How do I know what amp it should be? I see some thats 12v @ 5 amps and some that are 12v @ 30 amps, etc...

Do you add up the amps like you would with watts?

If I have 5 outlets all needing 12v power, do I add what amps each would need to figure it out, or do you get bigger than you need and just have extra?

just a little confused.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyswadley View Post
So, I saw several different converters online. How do I know what amp it should be? I see some thats 12v @ 5 amps and some that are 12v @ 30 amps, etc...

Do you add up the amps like you would with watts?

If I have 5 outlets all needing 12v power, do I add what amps each would need to figure it out, or do you get bigger than you need and just have extra?

just a little confused.
All of your 12V circuits will have to be powered from that converter. So yes, you add up the total expected load, add a little for overhead and that's the size you need.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Inverters don't always come with a built in transfer switch, though it is normal to have in an inverter/charger.

Transformers don't work on DC. A voltage converter is what you'd be looking for. If you pull more 12v off one battery than the other you'll mess up your battery bank. On highway coaches, which often are 24v, they use a Vanner equalizer for 12v loads.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote