Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
If you are going to look at them take a multimeter, load tester and hydrometer with you. Do not buy two different types of batteries, this .ca cause unbalanced charging and discharging. Also look at the manufacture and purchase dates for each battery. If you are buying a used bank, you don't want to be buying sunshine Joe's mistakes.
New to the forum, but been off grid for a decade and motor home/boxtruck/ shoolie living since 1989. I've made some bad battery choices and Buying a used system without careful inspection and load testing can be a real disappointment.
I tried to go to the link with my phone without success. When it comes to getting the right batteries, patience and perseverance will serve you well. Decide your needs, consider the options to meet them carefully before jumping to a purchase. It took us many tries to get it right for us, mostly because impatience is not my friend, but my constant companion. Learnig things the hard way is rough.
Somthing to consider. 450AH of liPoFe batteries will provide more useable power than 950AH of flooded lead acid batteries. They can be mounted in any position. They weigh 1/3 as much. They don't gas or need watering. They are expensive, but will last longer, cycle deeper, require less maintenance, and take up less space. Took us forever to arrive at this conclusion. So happy we finally did.

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

I think it was Wilde who said about learning things the hard way, the word is experience! As for the LiFePO4 cells, I buy and sell them as A123 for use in model airplanes, but somehow I doubt we're talking about the same thing. What's your source/branding for these? Have you any links? Just curious as I don't go off grid and rely on a diesel generator tied into the main tanks for juice on our weekend forays.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Thomas Vista
Engine: DT 408 6.7L
Rated Cap: 72
For sure as soon as I spoke with the guy they were a no go for me.

Batteries will be new I guess! This was my intention from the start, but hey when you see a good price you have to explore the option

all for the replies!
scloughcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
450AH of liPoFe batteries will provide more useable power than 950AH of flooded lead acid batteries. They can be mounted in any position. They weigh 1/3 as much. They don't gas or need watering. They are expensive, but will last longer, cycle deeper, require less maintenance, and take up less space.
Um #1 no, check your math.

#2 also no, where'd you get that idea?

Next two correct.

But that lasting longer, well it depends.

Lots of factors, and long-term ROI is very risky.

Yes I use them, but know better that to just fan-boy them to one and all
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote