Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Do not use electricity for cooking or any heating while off the grid.

That wastes too much energy, no matter tge voltage.
No doubt! Just by way of example, I was testing the 6 gal. water heater I'd just installed and forgot to plug the shore power into the bus. The water heater drained the 4 6V batteries from full charge to 80% in a matter of 15 minutes or so. I'm not planning on making that mistake again!

Old 05-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Do not use electricity for cooking or any heating while off the grid.
I've been re-thinking this a bit.

I'm still looking at the numbers, but we might go with a 2-burner induction hob. They have a lot of advantages over gas, and power consumption seems to be the only downside.

They max out at 1800W. That would be with both burners actively cooking on the highest setting. That's almost never going to happen, and cooking on a hob is a process that doesn't take very long.

1 hour of use per day at 1000W would consume 100 Amp-hours, and I doubt it would get that much use. Apart from searing, most stovetop cooking is done on "simmer", and one burner simmering seems to be around 200W.

Decent solar or a small generator would replace that usage quite quickly.

I'll keep digging into this.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
Just start googling and learning. Honestly. Commit this stuff to memory. You’ll feel better knowing how it all works when you have a problem a few years from now.
ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #24
Bus Geek

My chili, chicken soup and bolognese take hours before I consider them ready to serve.

A little inverter genny could be charging the bank as your cooking though when it's not bright and sunny.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Electric

Don’t overwhelm yourself, all you need in a park is your 50/30 amp. For now wire it directly to your panel. Leave yourself a little room to plug it into your inverter later on. For now, wire it just like a house. Stay away from romex if you can afford to, try to find something stranded with moisture resistance (romex does not have any moisture protection. Plus the vibration can eventually sever the wire) I ran all my electric in conduit for general safety. I am SOOO glad I put 4 outdoor outlets!!! I use them as much as the indoor ones!! Two on each side, one near generator.
There is a lot to know and a lot to do to get your boondock electric wired together properly! Don’t purchase any of it until you know from start to finish EXACTLY what you are going to do. (Get a “mobile” sine inverter. Preferably magnum) let me know if you have specific wiring questions.
superken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electricity, shore power, skoolie, solar, wiring