Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Parking in shade, with solar panel in sun on ground??

In the planning stages. Was wondering what are your thoughts and if anyone has done this?
4 window e450
I would rather park in a nice shady spot then out in the sun. Especially in the so cal forests it's hard to get sunlight with all the tall trees. I want a basic 2 panel system 200-400 watts. One lipo 100amp battery. Biggest thing to run is a portable dc chest style fridge.

Plan is 2 panels mounted on the roof. And One stored in the bus and take it out at a site with a adjustable floor stand to follow the sun. With 50' of wire to be able to get it to the sunnies spot.

Will there be any issues connecting and disconnecting? Will have a cover to protect from damage and getting solar energy when I connect or disconnect.

Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
No serious issues - lot's of RV's do this.

I bet you've already considered the following obvious stuff but just in case: weight of lugging the panel around, storage space, voltage drop in a long cable, having to move the panels every 30 minutes to keep them in sunlight, quality connector for repeated use, wind, etc...
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes heavy duty connectors and bracing them bigger guage wiring also maybe a cable and lock on the frame if there's a tree close by or something. Thinking of a 100watt panel. Follow the sun when I get a chance maybe adjust a hand full of times a day (anything will be better than flat mounted to a bus)

Glad to hear this will work most worried about shorting the system or having to shut it down or something everytime.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I'm not sure what sort of connector would be best but I might be inclined to install a switch to minimize arcing. Or.. just toss a blanket over the panel (or lay it face down) when connecting/disconnecting. If 100W, we're talking about only a few amps (less than 10) so all of what I said is probably overkill.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Go to a High Voltage to reduce wire gauge needed, SC at the battery bank of course.

Or consider breaking your bank into separate packs and rotating them out to where the panels are. LFP would be ideal for that, even 100Ah can be toted around by my 12-y.o., and they'll keep soaking up the input until fill, unlike lead's inefficient current tapering.

Rigid suitcase style much more robust than the semi-flexibles.

Andersons for frequent disconnects, not MC style.

And of course beware thieves. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I'm not sure what sort of connector would be best but I might be inclined to install a switch to minimize arcing. Or.. just toss a blanket over the panel (or lay it face down) when connecting/disconnecting. If 100W, we're talking about only a few amps (less than 10) so all of what I said is probably overkill.
Yes I will cover it if I do this, I will make a good cover for safety and also to protect the panel.
Good idea I can install a switch before my connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Go to a High Voltage to reduce wire gauge needed, SC at the battery bank of course.

Or consider breaking your bank into separate packs and rotating them out to where the panels are. LFP would be ideal for that, even 100Ah can be toted around by my 12-y.o., and they'll keep soaking up the input until fill, unlike lead's inefficient current tapering.

Rigid suitcase style much more robust than the semi-flexibles.

Andersons for frequent disconnects, not MC style.

And of course beware thieves. . .
I forgot about micro inverters! Might look into it

Yes I think I'll pay the price and go lipo makes more sense. Honestly think 1 may do the trick for me, small DC chest, 12 water pump, and 12v lighting, 120 outlet will be for charging cellphones. This is going to be a weekend camper setup.

But it will stay in the skoolie. I will not enjoy my time relaxing if I'm looking out for my 1000$ battery :0
Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Bus Geek

LFP is my reco, not lipo or other LI types
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Ok though it was the same but understood dc what you ment. Thanks for clearing that up.