Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Prob when rewiring top amber lights as blinkers

After wiring the top lights to function as blinkers and stop lights rather than flashers, I am having issues.
Amber/Blinkers... All work fine for 5 minutes or so and then passenger side ones go out. I assumed it was a blown fuse except that after cooling off a few minutes, they all work fine once again. Once they all stayed on until all of the amber/blinkers went out at once.
BTW I had expected from the start to have to up the fuse amperage as I did for the brake lights when adding the upper lights as brake lights, BUT I pulled all the fuses one by one and nothing affected the blinkers.
Now I am thinking that the blinkers must be controlled and fused in one of the relay units and that it starts to overheat and switches off. ???

I am clearly not electrically wise so any ideas and info are welcome. My bus is a 2006 IC bus (International).

Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Check your blinker fluid reservoir, sounds like it's low. I wonder if the extra load of light s requires an upgrade on the blinker unit, not the fuse?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Try an electronic flasher module. The one you have is a thermal one. electronic flasher
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
They are probably on self resetting circuit breakers. They trip when they get hot and reset themselves when they cool off.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Bus Nut

X4 on the flasher/blinker unit being overloaded.

I've had to do some jury-rigging on some railroad crossing gate signals using the school bus relays. In extreme heat, with too many bulbs on the circuit, they stopped flashing.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
My question is why are your turn signals on for 5 minutes?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #7
Almost There

Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Well I had a similar problem. Last year on vacation, I attempted to use my hazard flashers. They came on but at a slow pace. After 3 or 4 minutes they just stopped flashing. I think my problem is rooted in the warning system. I removed the sign and some wiring. I am currently working on wiring in a hazard flasher system and it has become a greater job than anticipated. I was going to pull in new wire and found out that there are spares already in the harness. It was a mess in that panel. i then decided to remove the light monitor panel. its a big job, and I only work on it a few hours a day, but I need to be finished by vacation time in July.

I plan to add a couple more lights to the flasher circuit and four more side markers. For the flashers, I have already gotten a new heavy duty electronic flasher. Most likely you need another flasher too.
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
My question is why are your turn signals on for 5 minutes?
I had them on that long while I was pulling fuses trying to figure out which one I should up the amperage on. But yes I want them to be able to be on for extended periods.
One of the reasons we changed the top lights is because we drive on very curvy jungle mountain and coastal roads with very poor visibility in Mexico where we live. I want them more for safety...hazards and brake lights... rather than turn signals. Thinking that they can be seen through the leaves by someone coming around the bend or over the hill top.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I wonder if the extra load of light s requires an upgrade on the blinker unit, not the fuse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Try an electronic flasher module.
The little square boxes around the fuses? That is what I was thinking must be called the relay unit (thanks for the correction). Let me know if that is what I should be looking for and how I might fix that to handle a bit more draw to take on the extra lights.
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by budbud7 View Post
I plan to add a couple more lights to the flasher circuit and four more side markers. For the flashers, I have already gotten a new heavy duty electronic flasher. Most likely you need another flasher too.
Thanks. Again I think you are referring to the little boxes around the fuses. Let me know if I am wrong. I will try to find out which flasher unit corresponds to the blinker/hazards and upgrade it. Is there a separate flasher unit for each side? That would seem so since I often lost the passenger lights only.
Thanks.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
Almost There

Chassis: MVP RE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
The little square boxes in the area of the fuses are most likely circuit breakers. In my circuit panel I have identified 2 round devices that I think are my flasher units. If you find such a unit on your bus, by the terminals you should have the markings X and L. Some other units have a third terminal. I'm not sure what the marking is for that terminal. We have a chance for rain tomorrow so I need to get back out there today and do more wiring and close off the holes.
budbud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Tyania, click on the link I provided. Compare the unit now in your bus to those on that page. Better yet, they have a chat line and a 1-800 number to call. Those people are EXTREMELY helpful.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #13
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Tyania, click on the link I provided. Compare the unit now in your bus to those on that page. Better yet, they have a chat line and a 1-800 number to call. Those people are EXTREMELY helpful.
Thank you. I overlooked the link from your first post.