Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
$1.80-2.00.
Dang..... I must be cursed....

When we were in Mohave Valley 11 years ago we paid more than that. IIRC: it was $2.29 or more at the gas station and almost $2.50 for home delivery in the big tank.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am curious about what you all are paying for propane in various parts of the country?

Here in the Walla Walla area we are paying $3.29-$3.79 a gallon. I spoke with a gent in Illinois last week that told me that he was paying $1.05.

I could hardly believe it. I have not seen sub $2 propane in 20 years.
Propane here right now at TSC is $2.69, Amicalola Propane is always cheaper, but they are closed so I couldn't check price. This is an advantage TSC has, they sell propane as long as they are open, 7 days a week.

The guy who paid $1.05 reminds me I once knew a woman who didn't.................

Illinois shows a minimum price of $1.62 in 2018
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I paid 99˘/gal on Saturday.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I just paid $3.79 and the OPV stuck or the tank plugged and the propane wont come out fast enough to grill a steak

did I mention that we have to pay sales tax on top of that....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Can that be verified? What location had it at that price?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
I just paid $2.72 to fill four 5-gallon bottles in rural Northern California -- at a ratty old convenience store, know to have the lowest price in town.

Looks like there is at least one outfit that sells a propane kit for the Honda EU7000, and also the 3000 which I still have. $700 for the EU7000 kit.

Propane & Nat. Gas Kits for Honda Generators

Thoughts?

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Propane vs gas

Why would propane not gum up the carburator like gasoline? I have a Honda EU 2000 and it's companion EU2000i that are have never been out of the box and are 4 years old. Bought while hubby still alive and on oxygen. I have been wondering how old they could get before I needed to worry about using them. plan to buy a bus before spring for boondocking and full time living.
NotAClue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
If your generators are new and have never been out of the box, they wouldn't have ever had any gas through them. So there should be no worries about anything gumming up. Long term storage (new) worries would be seals or o rings drying out but I think you would be good for few more years to come without that worry. It would take awhile for seals and o rings to dry out. Having new in the box is much better than if you ran them once and then they sat around for 4 years! My opinion anyhow...
Old 09-26-2018, 08:58 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 666
What sort of fuel consumption are folks getting on Propane?

As for the question about gumming..... Gasoline gums carbeurators because it evaporates and leaves something that looks like varnish. It's also a nasty solvent and will attack many rubbers and plastics over time. Propane is a gas. Worst case it will simply float away. It is heavier than air and when mixed with air it is explosive. Treat it with respect and give it a way to fall and go away.

Trailers run the lines under the trailer and not in an enclosed space for this reason. Any leaks will just fall harmlessly to the ground and blow away.

For an in-depth safety primer read about propane on sailboats. Propane leaks on a boat fill the hull and can lead to explosions. As a result sailors have developed the best safety protocol around propane.

It never hurts to be safe with our conversion campers!
Bus #3- 1985 Auwerter (Neoplan) Cityliner N116/2 Motorhome
See "My garage" in profile for past vehicles and pictures.
My bus blog: https://www.autobus.us
Hotpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:38 AM   #30

My brother/sister in law have had one (not sure what brand though) for at least two years now, and have used is during several power outages we have had during that time. I think they are happy with it, and I haven't heard of them having any trouble with it. The one they have doesn't run the whole house, but it's enough for their two refrigerators and a light or two.

I like the idea of using propane over gas since you don't have the issues related to ethanol & storing gas for a long time.

__________________________________________________ __
The scariest monsters are the ones that lurk within our soles.
Cheers, Xianai Diceus
Xianai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
I just paid $2.72 to fill four 5-gallon bottles in rural Northern California -- at a ratty old convenience store, know to have the lowest price in town.

Looks like there is at least one outfit that sells a propane kit for the Honda EU7000, and also the 3000 which I still have. $700 for the EU7000 kit.

Propane & Nat. Gas Kits for Honda Generators

Thoughts?
So you're going to spend 700 bucks on a propane conversion kit on top of the cost for an eu7000 ($4000 the last time I priced them).

At that cost, I'd buy a onan quiet diesel if it were me. This one here is $2900 used. https://limaohio.craigslist.org/for/...700992091.html

That's just me though . Probably would take less if you're good at talking.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #32

Fuel Cell

Have any of you seen this? Watt Fuel Cell, claims to run 40 to 60 hours with 20lb. propane. Saw it this morning on youtube, don't know if you can even buy one yet, or what the cost will be. Look interesting though.

"WATT is Working All The Time and its operation won’t cause interruptions or distractions so you can enjoy the peace and quiet of the great outdoors. WATT is the ideal hybrid power solution for long trips on the open road. Silence the deafening din of generators and keep all of your electrical devices and appliances charged and running. No more worries if a camp site has power, no more need to transport heavy gas generators, and no more worries over noise and emissions regulations. And with a fraction of the footprint of larger gas-powered generators, WATT is light-weight, and easy to use—weighing just 46 lbs."

https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/
Oldtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

A little googling came up with this.... so really cost prohibitive at the moment it would seem (at least for me)
cleff413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I have that generator. However, I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll be using it to run my rooftop a/c. I'll be using the propane option and putting either a hard start or soft start capacitor on the a/c if it can't handle it.
Were you ever able to fire your generator up and see how quiet it was and if it ran your rooftop AC ok?
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Were you ever able to fire your generator up and see how quiet it was and if it ran your rooftop AC ok?
Unfortunately, no. It's still on the back porch waiting for me to figure out where it's getting mounted.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:09 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtom View Post
Have any of you seen this? Watt Fuel Cell, claims to run 40 to 60 hours with 20lb. propane. Saw it this morning on youtube, don't know if you can even buy one yet, or what the cost will be. Look interesting though.

"WATT is Working All The Time and its operation won’t cause interruptions or distractions so you can enjoy the peace and quiet of the great outdoors. WATT is the ideal hybrid power solution for long trips on the open road. Silence the deafening din of generators and keep all of your electrical devices and appliances charged and running. No more worries if a camp site has power, no more need to transport heavy gas generators, and no more worries over noise and emissions regulations. And with a fraction of the footprint of larger gas-powered generators, WATT is light-weight, and easy to use—weighing just 46 lbs."

https://www.wattfuelcell.com/uses/rv/

I did some photography work for them when they were on Long Island. Awesome people, amazing product, but I would be surprised if they were under $10k, more like $20k+ I would guess.
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 05:56 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Just came in to this thread. Great conversation guys. I'll be building a tow dolly from the travel trailer frame left over from salvaging parts. The plan is to incorporate my Predator 3500 on the tow dolly and utilize a pair of 20gallon propane tanks to fuel it. I've installed a secondary RV power plug in the rear so we can use it to run one of the A/C's while traveling. I'm using light pole breakaway connectors between the dolly and bus for safety.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote