Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #1
Almost There
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 73
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Propane Generator?

Hello
I'm planning on building a rear platform on my short bus. I want to build it large enough to house a generator. Any thoughts or advice on platform size would be greatly appreciated also. Im thinking same width as bus (8') and a length of 24-32"... So that gets me looking at generators to how how large to build the rear platform. The bus will be used for tailgating (already is) and then be full rv conversion long term. I was leaning toward a cheaper harbor freight 3500 watt invertor generator. Then I saw a duel fuel champion generator. I plan on having propane on board for hot water heater, heater, etc. Any one use one of these? I would like to stay under 60db or around there so it's fairly quiet for tailgating. Are there any other propane quiet generators out there? I just thought it would be nice not to have to lug gasoline around. (Bus is diesel)

Here is a link of the champion generator I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FAWMMEY/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel _images_section
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,488
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've been looking at this one with wireless remote control.

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...tart-inverter/
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 1,079
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
i use a DuroMac Sidekick 200 watt Duel fuel Inverter. So far so good.


Later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 598
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Dies
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Hello
I'm planning on building a rear platform on my short bus. I want to build it large enough to house a generator. Any thoughts or advice on platform size would be greatly appreciated also. Im thinking same width as bus (8') and a length of 24-32"... So that gets me looking at generators to how how large to build the rear platform. The bus will be used for tailgating (already is) and then be full rv conversion long term. I was leaning toward a cheaper harbor freight 3500 watt invertor generator. Then I saw a duel fuel champion generator. I plan on having propane on board for hot water heater, heater, etc. Any one use one of these? I would like to stay under 60db or around there so it's fairly quiet for tailgating. Are there any other propane quiet generators out there? I just thought it would be nice not to have to lug gasoline around. (Bus is diesel)

Here is a link of the champion generator I was looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FA...images_section
I have that generator. However, I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll be using it to run my rooftop a/c. I'll be using the propane option and putting either a hard start or soft start capacitor on the a/c if it can't handle it.
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 3,488
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I have that generator. However, I haven't even had a chance to fire it up yet. I'll be using it to run my rooftop a/c. I'll be using the propane option and putting either a hard start or soft start capacitor on the a/c if it can't handle it.
Fire it up and take a video, are they as quiet as they claim (56db)? That's pretty quiet considering.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 598
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Dies
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I'll put it on my to.do list for this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Fire it up and take a video, are they as quiet as they claim (56db)? That's pretty quiet considering.
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
Almost There
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 73
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakitty View Post
I'll put it on my to.do list for this week.
Thanks! Please let me know how it runs your ac! I won't be buying a generator for another month or two. Don't plan to need it until next summer. For now we have a little 2200 watt Ryobi for tailgating. It runs the dish and tv and /or electric skillet at our tailgates. Looking forward I'll need something bigger to run an AC.
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #8
Bus Crazy
 
Elliot Naess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Posts: 2,194
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Yeehah -- I want in on this information. We use a Honda EU7000 and I would love to convert it to propane.
__________________
Elliot
Millicent The Bus - roof raised two feet, toy-hauler tailgate.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/th...gate-1564.html
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 701
Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I converted my gasoline Champion 46540 generator to propane a few years ago, using an Impco kit that has a Garretson KN demand regulator. The generator now always starts on the third pull, never the second or fourth, unlike when it was running off gasoline when it would always start on the first pull. It takes the extra two pulls now to draw the propane through the extra hose to the demand regulator and on to the original carb - no big deal. I think it runs slightly quieter now than before, the exhaust is absolutely clear but with slightly more water dripping out than before, and it seems to make power no differently than before, i.e. whatever it could run before it can still run now. All in all, it was well worth the change. The gasoline tank and carb are still in place, so I could run it on gasoline if I wanted, but why would I?

I anticipate only needing to use my generator a few times a year, at most, so it makes sense to run it off propane instead of risking the carb getting gummed up due to lack of use. It's only for emergencies such as when the sun hasn't shone for a few days and the batteries are getting low, but on those rare occasions it MUST start without fail.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 AM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Ninjakitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Brevard County, FL
Posts: 598
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Dies
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Naess View Post
Yeehah -- I want in on this information. We use a Honda EU7000 and I would love to convert it to propane.
Check out motorsnorkel.com. They make conversion kits for almost every gas generator
__________________
Nick
Ninjakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.