Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
Please consider using handy bibs solar as a starting point to learning all of this. Pretend it’s a college course. Learn all ac and dc that you can. It’s best to have a full knowledge of everything you install in your bus

ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #22
Almost There

I have 2 renogy 100 watt panels and am going to connect them in series from a charge controller-batteries-inverter set up I’m going to use 2 t105s is that a suitable set up?
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Use a charge controller- run with more power on the roof. Contact the folks at Outbackpower.com. Tell them what you want to do then listen to their advise. My farm and two houses are off grid- been that way for 12 yrs and going 300 w panels on the roof will supply you. But you must know your amps and wattage usage.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:01 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
So it seems that from what everyone is saying is that panel wattage should be close to equal battery amperage to get in the "zone" for good chargeing. In other words one watt of solar should be paired with about one amp of battery capacity? Hope I am saying this clearly.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Sort of. If
I’m in a area with shadows, I will need morenpanels to fill
My battery in a shorter amount of time. More panels is always better- charge controller tells charger when battery needs juice, and when to stop pouring juice into the battery. Keeping the batteries always topped of means more life cycles out of the battery. So more panels is better. I use outback power for my operations. They will be setting up my bus when I get the $$$ since I have 100 other priorities. I like the larger battery system. My house is 48 volt system but my bus will be 48 because I want to be able to add my bus panels to the house system when it’s parked.
You are on the right track though.
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
So it seems that from what everyone is saying is that panel wattage should be close to equal battery amperage to get in the "zone" for good chargeing. In other words one watt of solar should be paired with about one amp of battery capacity? Hope I am saying this clearly.
That will work, sort of, but it's not ideal. By doing that you'll be charging the batteries at the lower end of the recommended 5 to 13% charge rate. My feeling is that it's best to aim for the higher end of that range on a bus or RV roof, simply because it probably won't be ideally oriented most of the time to the sun, especially in winter when the sun is lower. FYI, I have a smidgeon over 2kW of panels to charge about 900aH of FLA batteries, and that calculates to be about a 13% charge rate. My plan is to have all the batteries fully charged each day even in winter, so in summer I'll probably have excess power that I can then use for water heating, arc welding, smelting aluminum, jump-starting nuclear power stations, mining Bitcoins, etc.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
So that puts you at about 2 watts per amp. 400 watts of panels (most likely the Renogy kit) is what I am planning, and that suits my loads, but have not decided on batteries yet.

My foundry furnace is oil fired, so only a little electric needed for that.....
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #28
Almost There

I would only use this set up for charging a couple things no tv or computer probably a fan and occasional cooking utensils
Lherrlinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery bank, electrical system, solar, solar panel, wattage